Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 05:06 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying they're shady:

"A 12-pack of 6-ounce cups of Stonyfield Farm nonfat yogurt goes for $4.99 in Newark and $7.20 on the Upper West Side.
A half-pound of rosemary ham went for $3.50 on the Upper West Side and $3 in the South Bronx and East New York, Brooklyn.
And a pack of Applegate Farms chicken-and-apple sausage went for $5.99 in the Upper West Side and $5.59 in East New York and the South Bronx."

This is why I don't bother with FS or other online grocery services. Having been schooled since able to push a shopping cart by my mother and aunts I refuse to succumb to nonsense such as above.

In fact it is a good reason to avoid the whole thing all together and if possible drive to New Jersey for groceries. NYC residents especially those in Manhattan are being royally ripped off if they but only knew it when it comes to groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 05:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
They say their formula for the "zone pricing" is proprietary and refused to give any specific breakdowns of price differences but "A 12-pack of 6-ounce cups of Stonyfield Farm nonfat yogurt goes for $4.99 in Newark and $7.20 on the Upper West Side. That's an almost 50% difference!
That's actually pretty good in either case.

At the stores near me, the cheapest brands are generally about 3/$2, which is about $0.66 each. Stonyfield is typically about $1. Keep in mind that these are all regular chains like ShopRite, Western Beef, etc, which are reasonably priced.

I usually wait for sales to stock up on Stonyfield, and generally the sales bring it down to about $0.50 - $0.60 each. Occasionally, they have sales where they got an overshipment and they want to get rid of it before it expires, so they sell it for as little as $0.25. But generally, if I can get Stonyfield for $0.50 each, you'll see me stick a good 30 of those into the shopping cart.

A 12-pack for $5 is about $0.41 each, and a 12-pack for $7.20 is about $0.60 each, so either way, that's a good deal as far as I'm concerned. You have to buy the full pack, but I have a relatively large family, so that's not really an issue.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That's actually pretty good in either case.

At the stores near me, the cheapest brands are generally about 3/$2, which is about $0.66 each. Stonyfield is typically about $1. Keep in mind that these are all regular chains like ShopRite, Western Beef, etc, which are reasonably priced.

I usually wait for sales to stock up on Stonyfield, and generally the sales bring it down to about $0.50 - $0.60 each. Occasionally, they have sales where they got an overshipment and they want to get rid of it before it expires, so they sell it for as little as $0.25. But generally, if I can get Stonyfield for $0.50 each, you'll see me stick a good 30 of those into the shopping cart.

A 12-pack for $5 is about $0.41 each, and a 12-pack for $7.20 is about $0.60 each, so either way, that's a good deal as far as I'm concerned. You have to buy the full pack, but I have a relatively large family, so that's not really an issue.
Make our own yoghurt with a "vintage" Salton thing. Cheaper, easier and much better tasting!

Old 12-14-2013, 05:56 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Make our own yoghurt with a "vintage" Salton thing. Cheaper, easier and much better tasting!
Perhaps you can make some for all of us in your spare time and bring it to our next city data meet up

Old 12-14-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Perhaps you can make some for all of us in your spare time and bring it to our next city data meet up
Sorry Miss. Hilly, I don't deliver! *LOL*

Old 12-14-2013, 07:58 PM

195 posts, read 304,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
for argument sake, what if it was reverse?

Fresh Direct charges more to lower income and less to high income area? Would everyone say these corporations is racist?
EXACTLY! I'm certain it would. I'm just happy it's happening to people that generally have more discretionary income than those that don't.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:05 AM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i love using fresh direct. my wife and i value our free time and it is priceless to us. being able not to spend 2 hours on the weekend going food shopping is fabulous.

we get deliveries early sunday morning, in fact they should be here in the next 5 minutes .

our bills are so much less since all the impulse shopping i do is eliminated as well as my love of junk food. i would say we average 30-35 bucks less a week than if we actually go to the store.

our shopping is done and put away before most folks are even up, all without leaving the house..

Old 12-15-2013, 07:12 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I laugh at people who pay a great deal to have their groceries delivered at high prices while they sit on their asses at home (Fairway charges $7.95 over 5 blocks to deliver their inflated price groceries) and then they rush off to an expensive gym to get some exercise on a Treadmill.

(I do curls while I walk my groceries home and THEN I hit the gym.)

Old 12-15-2013, 07:14 AM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
To tell you the truth i don't laugh because the 2 hours we save by not having to go food shopping is spent doing just that ,going to the gym.

on my list buying groceries doesn't quite qualify as intense cardio exercise.

the two have nothing to do with each other except grocery shopping eats up another notch of our time.

our weekend time is just filled between our 2 new granchildren , the gym and our photography .

Old 12-15-2013, 07:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
buying groceries doesn't quite qualify as intense cardio exercise.

You don't know where to shop. Or else you bring the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City