Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 11:59 PM

4 posts, read 6,963 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am considering getting an apt. in Fordham Hill Oval. I've lived most of my life in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and NJ, but never the Bronx. The apts. are very nice there, prices are great, I liked the liveliness of Fordham Rd. and the complex is just a 9 min walk from the 4 train.

There is and evident lack of city services there. I saw a street fight--nothing that violent, a woman had a guy in a headlock, it attracted a big crowd-- the cops were called but took at least 40 minutes to come. Also, I saw a nice green area covered with trash, like a waste dump, maybe from construction, as I also saw porta-potties. So, it's not Paradise.

How is access to groceries, fresh food, restaurants? Libraries? Anything open at night foodwise?

I like to go out pretty late now and then and could cab it if necessary from the 4 station. I'm a middle-aged white/Asian female. Are there a lot of traffic accidents, pedestrian safety issues? It was congested. High crime? Any changes going on?

Any info/thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:56 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
foodwise and shopping can also be done at RiverPlaza on W 225th street which is a short car/cab ride down Sedgwick/Bailey Ave (but a long walk and desolate at night) but is probably safer than Fordham Rd at night. I think Fordham rd west of Jerome is pretty bleak foodwise even east of it everything seems pretty commercialized and im not sure how much access there would be to fresh food. i know there is a big library on Kingsbridge Rd near the Concourse. W Fordham Rd was never a great area but never the worst, so seeing occasional street fights i guess would be fairly normal

Old 12-18-2013, 11:15 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times
For what it's worth, you can also take the Bx12 bus along Fordham Road. You can take it to either the A or 1 trains in Manhattan, or the D or 4 trains in The Bronx.

During the day, you have the Select Bus Service (SBS) Bx12s, but at night, you only have the local Bx12s. (With the SBS, you have to buy the ticket at the machine before you board the bus. With the regular ones, you dip your MetroCard like a normal bus). Both buses stop at Fordham & Sedgwick.

There's also the BxM3 express bus along Sedgwick Avenue: http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm3cur.pdf

The fare is $6, and it may come in handy at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City