Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is more important to you?
Love 18 64.29%
Career 10 35.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:15 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,949,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
LOL. with an iq of 157.
Lol. I wonder if Einstein and Frued struggled with women with their high iq?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 05:23 PM

11,192 posts, read 9,015,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol. I wonder if Einstein and Frued struggled with women with their high iq?
i read that einstein was a womanizer

New letters shed light on Einstein

Old 12-21-2013, 07:02 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,214,085 times
Plenty of career oriented males and females are trying to fill an inner void which steams from lack of love by offering themselves to hectic work. They are the ones who are always willing to fill in and take additional shifts over the holidays.

I believe every person who is caught up in the neverending cycle of stressful work should take time to sit down for a minute and contemplate on bigger questions like who am i and what's really my purpose in life.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 12-21-2013 at 07:16 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 09:41 PM

33,429 posts, read 46,858,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. My life requires me now to work insane hours. By the time I am done with work, there is little to no time for dating. Realistically, I could probably only go on one or two dates per week at this point. I have met men who say they will take care of this problem by letting me live with them rent-free or at a reduced rate. But I never had any real connection with any of them. How do you find love when you are so tied down in your work? Is it even possible? Just wondered what your experiences are.
What matters more to you? Money or sex? You gotta answer that question for yourself.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-21-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
If you're into each other, you'll make it work. My husband and I work opposite shifts and I work every other weekend. We still have to make time to see each other or else we'll never see each other/go on dates/etc.
Unfortunately a lot of couples have to make time to seh each other. Probably this was not something you wished for when you decided to marry him. But you make it work the best you can. One can only wonder how long you have the spark to settle for less.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,949,035 times
Both career and love in NYC do not last long thanks to the fast past nature of the city. Both love and career choices need to be looked at and evaluated. Do not get caught up in buyers remorse which isvery comm on amongst people in the city. Plenty of New Yorkers I knew who moved out coupd not find either love or career in NYC but they did when they moved out of the city while others who have good jobs and stable relationship or easy meeting people now struggle in their new abodes out of the city. Also I dont look for lovr, love burns out like a dying star. Its all about compatibility, Commonality and partnership.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Both career and love in NYC do not last long thanks to the fast past nature of the city. Both love and career choices need to be looked at and evaluated. Do not get caught up in buyers remorse which isvery comm on amongst people in the city. Plenty of New Yorkers I knew who moved out coupd not find either love or career in NYC but they did when they moved out of the city while others who have good jobs and stable relationship or easy meeting people now struggle in their new abodes out of the city. Also I dont look for lovr, love burns out like a dying star. Its all about compatibility, Commonality and partnership.
I would say passion burns out. But love lasts longer.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:11 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,222,234 times
Perhaps, if you love your work, the issue is moot.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,314,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Unfortunately a lot of couples have to make time to seh each other. Probably this was not something you wished for when you decided to marry him. But you make it work the best you can. One can only wonder how long you have the spark to settle for less.
That's true. But it's not the end of the world and I think we still see each other enough. I'd prefer this over someone who travels and is always on the road non-stop for business. That being said, I took this job knowing it was night shift (I appreciate the extra 10%) and career-wise, it was an excellent opportunity for me. (Also, I was unemployed for three months due to a lay-off, so I needed a job.) Career does have its place but for me, everything is a balancing act and such is life.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:20 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,814,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What matters more to you? Money or sex?
Don't those two usually go hand in hand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: