Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 04:05 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times

Advertisements

if you take a big dump make sure to wash your hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 10:24 PM

130 posts, read 291,094 times
I think it depends on the the type of staff you have. If you call upon them on any regular basis for anything more than the basics of their position, tipping is not unreasonable. At the time and at the holidays. But if they act as if you owe them a tip, have them sacked

Old 12-26-2013, 07:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
There is a wonderful documentary called PARK AVENUE (it's on Netflix Watch Instantly) documenting the wealthiest building in the United States (740 Park Ave) and one of the doormen hidden in shadows says that some of the billionaires living in the building are the cheapest tippers.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:44 AM

7 posts, read 20,641 times
I think its nice to write a nice card and give what you can and say this is what I can afford to give. Look them in the eye and say thank you. Forget about the media -- there are people with multimillion $ apts and many who don't even live in NYC full time who have multiple residences. Do what you can and be kind and say thank you.
That's my way!
Arley

Old 12-26-2013, 01:34 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymeagain1 View Post
I think it depends on the the type of staff you have. If you call upon them on any regular basis for anything more than the basics of their position, tipping is not unreasonable. At the time and at the holidays. But if they act as if you owe them a tip, have them sacked

Ah, if only I could have them sacked. We once had pretty good people, but these now are dismal on every score. I've mentioned it to the building, but everyone else is pretty inert on the subject. No, I ask them for nothing, and, as I said, this one guy doesn't even look up from his movie when I walk in. Excuse my griping, and, yes, I know some doormen are energetic and helpful, but for some, I think the job pays around $15/hour for mostly just sitting around.

Okay, guys, I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I guess I'll revert to my usual rock-bottom minimum, which has been $30.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:34 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
There is a wonderful documentary called PARK AVENUE (it's on Netflix Watch Instantly) documenting the wealthiest building in the United States (740 Park Ave) and one of the doormen hidden in shadows says that some of the billionaires living in the building are the cheapest tippers.
Could very well be, however when it comes to the UES especially west of Third Avenue you get what you "pay" for it comes to building staff.

There are doormen, porters, garage attendants, etc.. that go well beyond their job descriptions to assist residents/customers. However if at holiday time you seem to "forget" all that extra service don't expect it to be repeated.

Cases in point:

The garage guys who will wash your vehicle (usually overnight using the hose building keeps for cleaning sidewalks, etc...)

Doormen that "hold" parking spaces, walk your dog, pay the taxi fare when your drunk/stoned kids show up late at night with empty pockets, keep your wife from finding out you have nightly female (or male) visitors while she and the children are in the country, and so it goes.

Knew someone who would "ask" his building's doormen to "reserve" parking spaces that opened up in front of the building. Nothing would be paid each night/day but it was "assumed" the guy would settle his "bill" around the holiday time. Well that period came and went and not even so much as a card. Guess what? Another "big swinger" from Wall Street make a similar request and did the right thing. Suddenly the first guy was out in the cold (literally) and there wasn't a thing he could do.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:07 AM

343 posts, read 1,092,399 times
tipping is not required by law. they already get paid for their jobs. nobody tips me for going above & beyond at my job. i hate the thought of even having these concierge..i dont need someone to open doors for me its not that serious. Tip what you feel comfortable tipping & thats it. If a serviceman is doing more than his job description for you, then tip him accordingly, and if you're too cheap to tip then kindly let them know that they're extra service is not necessary. if you're taking advantage of someone's position and using them for your own personal affairs & running them ragged but not properly compensating them, then you're just an a$$hole - BUT i dont think it should be anyone's burden to GIVE anyone else EXTRA money.

of course billionaires are cheap, thats why they're billionaires because they will pinch a penny.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:44 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,706,735 times
I'm not one that believes in tipping the undeserving (the pizza counter guy, etc.) or overtipping, but if you stiff the doorman in your building you may be asking for headaches.

What does the doorman do for you besides open doors? Does he accept deliveries? Does he get them to you in a timely manner? Does he help you hail cabs? Is he good with your visitors? Is helpful to you throughout the year?

I would consider all that before a stiff. JMO.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,648 times
I wouldn't tip anything unless I felt like doing it. I've been subjected to so much hatred and nastiness in the past year that my heart is just plain empty for most.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
I don't have a doorman. But if i had i would probably give home cooked fish. Carp fresh from the Meadowlands stuffed with egg sauce, mushrooms and cheddar cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City