Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How well are the race relations in this part of Staten Island?
Great 1 5.26%
Fine 10 52.63%
Bad 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
FYI Staten Island is the only place where Joe Lhota won...and you know the kind of campaign he was running. That should tell you all you need to know about Staten Island and its residents. He has the biggest margin of loss in the history of NYC Mayoral elections...except of course for Staten Island.

This should answer every question you have about Staten Island.
For somebody who complains so much about how people talk crap about The Bronx without having been there, you sure like to generalize other boroughs. Practice what you preach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Based on the huge ethnic difference btwn Northern Staten Island and Southern Staten Island, doesn't it makes sense for them to have much different voting patterns from each other?
Yes, the North Shore (as a whole) always votes Democratic.

And people make it seem like every single person down on the South Shore voted for Lhota. In most areas, it was like a 60/40 split, or in the most extreme cases, a 70/30 split.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I've found from various sources that this area has fairly large representations of hispanics, blacks and whites. How do these groups generally get along with each other in this part of Staten Island. I'm only inquiring about Staten Island north of the I-278 (Staten Island Expressway).

I do know that Staten Island has a reputation since that's where a lot of original Brooklyn residents relocated to after their neighborhood experienced a demographic shift. But I would assume they've settled in the homogenous suburban-like areas of southern S.I.?

So what is your experience with northern staten island?

(Examples of neighborhoods/tags: Elm Park, Port Richmond, Tomkinsville, New Brighton, Stapleton, Randall Manor, Shore Acres, Grymes Hill, Mariners Harbor, Sunnyside, Castleton Harbor, Westerleigh, Rosebank, Graniteville)
Generalizing Staten Island north of the SIE is like generalizing Nassau County west of the Meadowbrook. Not every neighborhood is exactly the same (for instance, Sunnyside, Castleton Corners, and Westerleigh, are mostly white, albeit not quite as much as areas on the South Shore like say, Huguenot).

This is completely anecdotal, but I was walking down Forest Avenue around Pathmark once, and a Hispanic woman was crossing the street with her child (maybe it was two children. One in a stroller and one alongside her), and a white guy shouted "Birth control!" out of his car. As a rule of thumb, the areas immediately to the north of Forest are more diverse, with Hispanics being the largest group, and the areas south of Forest are mostly white. The main exception would be west of the MLK (where Graniteville is diverse), and east of around Bement (where both sides of Forest are mostly white). Pathmark is between Bement and the MLK.

Then there's a woman on the S59 bus who talked about how "I don't like Port Richmond anymore. I feel like I'm in Guama... Guate... Guamahala. Yeah, I feel like I'm in Guamahala" (Obviously, she was trying to say "Guatemala"). She ended up getting off in Port Richmond.

In any case, that obviously is out of the norm. 99.99999999% of the people who think like that won't go shouting out of their car windows or talking crap on the bus. But they will do nonsense like post about it on the Internet (seriously, look on forums like SILive.com where people talk crap about how "Mexicans ruined Port Richmond" and "that neighborhood used to be so nice before the Blacks moved in", when in reality, that area was bad even when it was mostly white) After reading a few articles with comments like that, I just stopped visiting that site entirely.

Of course, it's the whole "vocal minority" situation. If you went on a site like SILive, you'd think that 80% of Staten Islanders were racist retards. In real life, it's probably some small number like 5% who actually hold those types of opinions. Realistically, you're going to be fine in any of these neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Staten Island's "out" gay married NYS representative Mr. Titone is from Randall Manor area and has won re-election easily each time he runs. This even after his pushing through and voting for same sex marriage was or is *NOT* popular on the Rock.
For what it's worth, Wikipedia says he grew up in Grymes Hill & West Brighton. (And his office is basically out of a regular house around Forest & Broadway. I don't know if it was one of the homes he grew up in or what).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Isn't there a difference between northwest and northeast Staten Island ? There were some biased attacked against Mexicans in Staten Island the last 3 years or so.
Yeah, those incidents were mostly in Port Richmond, which is more northwest Staten Island. (Northeast would be areas like New Brighton, Park Hill, Stapleton, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:30 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
For somebody who complains so much about how people talk crap about The Bronx without having been there, you sure like to generalize other boroughs. Practice what you preach.

Yes, the North Shore (as a whole) always votes Democratic.

And people make it seem like every single person down on the South Shore voted for Lhota. In most areas, it was like a 60/40 split, or in the most extreme cases, a 70/30 split.

Generalizing Staten Island north of the SIE is like generalizing Nassau County west of the Meadowbrook. Not every neighborhood is exactly the same (for instance, Sunnyside, Castleton Corners, and Westerleigh, are mostly white, albeit not quite as much as areas on the South Shore like say, Huguenot).

This is completely anecdotal, but I was walking down Forest Avenue around Pathmark once, and a Hispanic woman was crossing the street with her child (maybe it was two children. One in a stroller and one alongside her), and a white guy shouted "Birth control!" out of his car. As a rule of thumb, the areas immediately to the north of Forest are more diverse, with Hispanics being the largest group, and the areas south of Forest are mostly white. The main exception would be west of the MLK (where Graniteville is diverse), and east of around Bement (where both sides of Forest are mostly white). Pathmark is between Bement and the MLK.

Then there's a woman on the S59 bus who talked about how "I don't like Port Richmond anymore. I feel like I'm in Guama... Guate... Guamahala. Yeah, I feel like I'm in Guamahala" (Obviously, she was trying to say "Guatemala"). She ended up getting off in Port Richmond.

In any case, that obviously is out of the norm. 99.99999999% of the people who think like that won't go shouting out of their car windows or talking crap on the bus. But they will do nonsense like post about it on the Internet (seriously, look on forums like SILive.com where people talk crap about how "Mexicans ruined Port Richmond" and "that neighborhood used to be so nice before the Blacks moved in", when in reality, that area was bad even when it was mostly white) After reading a few articles with comments like that, I just stopped visiting that site entirely.

Of course, it's the whole "vocal minority" situation. If you went on a site like SILive, you'd think that 80% of Staten Islanders were racist retards. In real life, it's probably some small number like 5% who actually hold those types of opinions. Realistically, you're going to be fine in any of these neighborhoods.

For what it's worth, Wikipedia says he grew up in Grymes Hill & West Brighton. (And his office is basically out of a regular house around Forest & Broadway. I don't know if it was one of the homes he grew up in or what).

Yeah, those incidents were mostly in Port Richmond, which is more northwest Staten Island. (Northeast would be areas like New Brighton, Park Hill, Stapleton, etc).
Randall Manor is often lumped in with "West Brighton" though it is more upscale IMHO, well at least from what has become of much of the place.

Am almost certain Mr. Titone and his husband live in RM, will have to see if the information is on the Internet somewhere. Know plenty of fundraisers for the guy are held in RM.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:02 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
Thanks for your details.

How would you Staten Islanders rate these neighborhoods with some details of course. Marinors Harbor, Port Richmond, Graniteville and St George ?

Old 12-28-2013, 07:20 PM

Richmond Avenue in Port Richmond's fate was sealed when the SI Mall was opened. Little by little the focus of shopping shifted to that part of the South Shore and Richmond Avenue became an hell hole of abandoned store fronts and buildings. To their credit it was the Mexicans/Hispanics that turned that bit of area around for what it is worth.

Port Richmond in general is hard to pin down as a "waste land" or hell hole because so much of it varied by block or even area. Heberton Ave, etc... was a solid mainly white middle and working class with some gorgeous older Victorian Homes. Decker Avenue was nice as was in general things south of Castleton Avenue. Even going towards Port Richmond High school , Treadwell Avenue and so forth things were "mixed". Harrison Avenue from Port Richmond Avenue and the area going north towards Richmond Terrance was another matter.

In general however the latest census data IIRC confirms trends many Staten Islanders already knew; the difference between north and south shores using the expressway as a dividing line is becoming less racially diverse.

Generally most areas of the north shore you find more whites closer to or above Forest Avenue and going south towards Victory, than below going to Castleton and towards Richmond Terrace.

That being said plenty of whites both old school and new arrivals to SI *like* the North Shore. They value the diversity in housing, ethnic groups and races, not to mention often sexual "preferences". Lots of gays love the north shore for all those old Victorian homes, something you just don't find on the South Shore aside from perhaps a few older long established areas.

That diversity is probably the secret weapon for much of the North Shore. I mean there places such as Ward Hill etc... where you have spectacular views of the harbor, City and even Brooklyn right from your windows. You don't get that on the South Shore.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your details.

How would you Staten Islanders rate these neighborhoods with some details of course. Marinors Harbor, Port Richmond, Graniteville and St George ?
Again you cannot generalize what "Staten Islanders" would think about a particular area because everyone has their own opinion.

Some persons would rather die than be caught in Mariners Harbor. Graniteville is lots of new construction and can be a nice place to live if townhouses are up your street. Empty lot in Staten Island's Graniteville section to be site of 106 townhouses | SILive.com

Old 12-28-2013, 07:42 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
That's exactly what I was seeking, personal opinions. SI is the borough I visit the least, although I have family in every borough. I find SI interesting, especially northeastern SI with the hills and older housing stock.

I have family who are home owners in Graniteville. I noticed the forest-green space in the area too, I assume this is where the new developments will stand.

I also know folks who moved out from Marinors Harbor to Port Richmond, I need to pay them a visit from their new location soon. I recall MH being a bit sketchy near some PJ's, looked a bit backwater-ish. And what would be, here comes the question.... Staten Island's worst neighborhoods. LOL

Old 12-28-2013, 08:42 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Then there was the sad, sorry and heartbreaking story of Mrs. Moore, an AA mother that lost her two boys during Super Storm Sandy. This black wife and mother banged/knocked on many a door in mainly white area of SI and not one would open and or respond to her calls for help: DailyCensored.com – Breaking Censored News, World, Independent, Liberal NewsBitter Fruit: racism so virulent that Staten Island Residents Refused to Help Black Mom as Sandy Swept Sons Away - DailyCensored.com - Breaking Censored News, World, In
What does this story have to do with racism? The mother threw a plant pot through the homeowner's window or door if I recall correctly. She's lucky she didn't get shot. Her problem wasn't racism. It was leaving the safety of her home in the middle of the storm of the century.

Racism won't go anywhere until we stop trying to find it everywhere...

Old 12-28-2013, 08:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Randall Manor is often lumped in with "West Brighton" though it is more upscale IMHO, well at least from what has become of much of the place.

Am almost certain Mr. Titone and his husband live in RM, will have to see if the information is on the Internet somewhere. Know plenty of fundraisers for the guy are held in RM.
I agree Randall Manor is more upscale than West Brighton proper.

Quote:
Port Richmond in general is hard to pin down as a "waste land" or hell hole because so much of it varied by block or even area. Heberton Ave, etc... was a solid mainly white middle and working class with some gorgeous older Victorian Homes. Decker Avenue was nice as was in general things south of Castleton Avenue. Even going towards Port Richmond High school , Treadwell Avenue and so forth things were "mixed". Harrison Avenue from Port Richmond Avenue and the area going north towards Richmond Terrance was another matter.
It's basically still that same way today.

Quote:
In general however the latest census data IIRC confirms trends many Staten Islanders already knew; the difference between north and south shores using the expressway as a dividing line is becoming less racially diverse.
Are you (basically) saying that there's starting to be more diverse areas south of the SIE? If that's the case, I would agree with you.

Quote:
Again you cannot generalize what "Staten Islanders" would think about a particular area because everyone has their own opinion.

Some persons would rather die than be caught in Mariners Harbor. Graniteville is lots of new construction and can be a nice place to live if townhouses are up your street. Empty lot in Staten Island's Graniteville section to be site of 106 townhouses | SILive.com
I think he's just talking about the SIers in this thread (which as far as I know is just you and me).

That area where the townhouses are being built can also be considered Bulls Head.

Quote:
I have family who are home owners in Graniteville. I noticed the forest-green space in the area too, I assume this is where the new developments will stand.
I live not too far from there. Here is more information about the development. This is the vacant lot they're referring to. It's caused a bit of controversy in the neighborhood because the land is wetlands, and they're helpful to prevent flooding (since the surrounding area is relatively low-lying). There are still wetlands to the west (everything west of Felton/Graham is still wetlands), so hopefully that should be enough. (**Knock wood**)

The greenspace most people think of in the neighborhood is the land west of South Avenue (it's called the Graniteville Swamp Forest), but that's not being developed.

Quote:
I also know folks who moved out from Marinors Harbor to Port Richmond, I need to pay them a visit from their new location soon. I recall MH being a bit sketchy near some PJ's, looked a bit backwater-ish. And what would be, here comes the question.... Staten Island's worst neighborhoods. LOL
Well, it's hard to pin down because each "bad" neighborhood actually has its good and bad sections. For instance, Port Richmond by Richmond Terrace is entirely different from Port Richmond by Decker Avenue. For Mariners' Harbor, the "bad" sections are generally near the projects, and north of the train tracks. Park Hill has a bad reputation, but a few blocks away from the apartment buildings are nice, suburban houses. So it's hard to make a real list like that.

That's part of the reason why I made those safety maps (the Staten Island one was the first one I made, and then people asked me to make some for the other 4 boroughs). I was tired of people labeling entire neighborhoods as no-go zones when there's portions that are perfectly fine, and some where there may be a few QOL issues here and there, but are definitely not the warzones people make them out to be.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
What does this story have to do with racism? The mother threw a plant pot through the homeowner's window or door if I recall correctly. She's lucky she didn't get shot. Her problem wasn't racism. It was leaving the safety of her home in the middle of the storm of the century.

Racism won't go anywhere until we stop trying to find it everywhere...
Know that part of SI very well both past and now, you cannot tell me if a "white" woman or in this case Mr. Moore (the are an inter-racial couple) had knocked on those doors one or more of them would have at least opened to see what she or he wanted.

If the woman threw something at or through a window who could blame her? I certainly wouldn't; I mean your children have just been swept out of your arms and you are begging for help to people you *KNOW* are home but won't even open their doors?

There is all kinds of racism and sadly the sort you seem to be defending is the worst of all.

As for Mrs. Moore leaving the safety of her home; well she was NOT alone on Staten Island misjudging the severity of Super Storm Sandy. The Moore boys joined others that *REMAINED* in their homes but died anyway.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Are you (basically) saying that there's starting to be more diverse areas south of the SIE? If that's the case, I would agree with you.

Yes, there are changes in demographics even as you get near the SIE, such as around Tioga and the former College of SI campus (now the Petredies School). You see Asians, Indians, Hispanics, etc... something you just didn't have back in the day.

South Shore in it's own way and pace is changing as well. In my day the Catholic High Schools on the SS such as Farrell were mostly if not totally white, same with the public high schools. Blacks, Asians, Mexicans/Hispanics/Latinos just did not live out on the SS. You may have found perhaps one or two, especially mixed marriages, but other than that....

Today of course demographics out there are slowly changing. Some don't like it but they see where things are going and pack up to move to Jersey. Some of the first gay married couples live out on the South Shore (where they had lived before), and by and large most report their neighbors don't bother them, and or even brought gifts after the wedding was announced.

Thing is as Staten Island looses a lot of the "old school" "stick to your own kind" mentality it is harder to pull the stunts from long ago that kept parts of the Rock "whites only". Many people selling their home and or developers just want to get their price, and don't care who or what moves in after they sell.

Then there is no escaping the "modern world" for even old school Staten Islanders. Years ago a "mixed marriage" was Irish/Italian, now you've got Italian/Latino/Hispanic, Italian/Black, Italian/Korean, etc....

Yes, lots of "old" BayRidge, Bensonhurst and other parts of South Brooklyn moved to SI and brought their attitudes and manners with them, but so did others from different areas of Brooklyn, Queens and even Manhattan. The latter do not always share the same views as the former, hence the slow changes on the SS..
Quote:
I think he's just talking about the SIers in this thread (which as far as I know is just you and me).

Think there are a few others, but perhaps not so active! *LOL*
Quote:
That area where the townhouses are being built can also be considered Bulls Head.

I live not too far from there. Here is more information about the development. This is the vacant lot they're referring to. It's caused a bit of controversy in the neighborhood because the land is wetlands, and they're helpful to prevent flooding (since the surrounding area is relatively low-lying). There are still wetlands to the west (everything west of Felton/Graham is still wetlands), so hopefully that should be enough. (**Knock wood**)

The greenspace most people think of in the neighborhood is the land west of South Avenue (it's called the Graniteville Swamp Forest), but that's not being developed.

Well, it's hard to pin down because each "bad" neighborhood actually has its good and bad sections. For instance, Port Richmond by Richmond Terrace is entirely different from Port Richmond by Decker Avenue. For Mariners' Harbor, the "bad" sections are generally near the projects, and north of the train tracks. Park Hill has a bad reputation, but a few blocks away from the apartment buildings are nice, suburban houses. So it's hard to make a real list like that.

That's part of the reason why I made those safety maps (the Staten Island one was the first one I made, and then people asked me to make some for the other 4 boroughs). I was tired of people labeling entire neighborhoods as no-go zones when there's portions that are perfectly fine, and some where there may be a few QOL issues here and there, but are definitely not the warzones people make them out to be.
Remember Richmond Avenue south of Forest when it was mostly woods and fields especially past Baron Hirsch. Went that way a lot after the mall was built for that reason and because family had just moved to the new developments in in New Springville.

Cannot believe what things look like out there today. When going to that part of SI usually take the Goethals or Bayonne Bridge and get off on the Richmond Avenue exit. Am always amazed at how much housing is built right next to the expressway. I mean who wants to breathe all those fumes 24/7 not to mention look out their front windows at traffic?

Yes, that part of SI can be very hit or miss. There are some nice condo developments and private homes on either side of the SI expressway. But go down South Avenue towards Forest and things change. They change even more as South Avenue continues past Forest towards Richmond Terrace.

Case in point, the townhouses just behind Forest Avenue going south (before Regal Walk) IIRC were built for whites and in particular Jews IIRC. Mexicans/Hispanics and *others* began to move in and much of the former sold/left.

Bulls Head/Graniteville is a very nice area, but again you really have to like townhouse living, which isn't my style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City