Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,045 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I am sure that you are probably sick of this question, but I need some positive reassurance. My Fiance and I are moving to Bed Stuy, Jefferson Ave and Bedford Ave.

I did the normal walk around a few times during the and night and it seems ok. Bedford and Franklin Aves seem quiet and not so sketchy. I've read like THOUSANDS of these threads and get the general sense that people are either 50/50 about the area. I just fear that my Fiance, a Italian/Hispanic female will have to run out somewhere at night and something might happen. I know its so stupid, but I just want to know what everyones thoughts are.

There are some cool bars and coffee places in the area, which is all i really need.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 11:17 AM

912 posts, read 2,099,472 times
Perhaps you should accompany her when she ventures out at night

Old 12-27-2013, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,045 times
Oh yes of course! We are home bodies. We typically go out drinking once a month in Williamsburg. Hello Northside Car Service!

Old 12-27-2013, 11:41 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,879 times
Bedford Ave - Jefferson Ave are in western Bed-Stuy and is not so bad. I like that particular zone personally. I walked around that area many times from Crown Heights to Williamsburg where my family resides (I know long walk). The sketchier parts of Bed Stuy are in the east.

However, depending on your street smarts, you should always practice caution, especially if some individuals begin to 'tingle your Spidey sense' at night. That part of western Bed Stuy is being hit hard, really hard by new comers and Hasidic Jews moving on in from southside Williamsburg.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:43 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,409 times
You will be fine. Especially where you are in western Bed Stuy, it has not been rough since the late 90's or so.

That area is gentrifying like crazy, and has always had a lot of middle class homeowners.

My sense, BTW, is that C-D is not always the best source for advice about a neighborhood. A lot of people make comments where it sounds like they haven't visited NYC since like 1985 or something.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:23 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post

My sense, BTW, is that C-D is not always the best source for advice about a neighborhood. A lot of people make comments where it sounds like they haven't visited NYC since like 1985 or something.
And you sound just like someone involved in real estate who needs to hype the "gentrifying" areas to make his quota for the year.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:54 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notebookandrew View Post
Hi all.

I am sure that you are probably sick of this question, but I need some positive reassurance. My Fiance and I are moving to Bed Stuy, Jefferson Ave and Bedford Ave.

I did the normal walk around a few times during the and night and it seems ok. Bedford and Franklin Aves seem quiet and not so sketchy. I've read like THOUSANDS of these threads and get the general sense that people are either 50/50 about the area. I just fear that my Fiance, a Italian/Hispanic female will have to run out somewhere at night and something might happen. I know its so stupid, but I just want to know what everyones thoughts are.

There are some cool bars and coffee places in the area, which is all i really need.

Thoughts?

The reason people are 50/50 on this is because it is an area very much in transition. This means there are some good areas and some not so good. My suggestion is to spend a whole day there and pay attention to the type of people that are there both day and night and ask yourself are these the kind of people I would want to live around. It sounds like you are already committed so go for it and good luck.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:36 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Bedford Avenue itself is calm.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-27-2013, 05:48 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Well hey there neighbor. I'm just 4 blocks north of you. Very happy with the area and all of the rapid changes that continue to happen. New things open up almost every month. This is certainly the good part of Bed Stuy and being right by the Clinton Hill border, it's become more like an extension on Clinton Hill. The only thing (I think) you may find sketchy around that area is Fulton street which is busy, noisy, and dirty and has lots of those cheap-o mom and pop stores.

The subway stop at Franklin is solidly more "gentrified" than it is at Nostrand. If you visit both of those stops you'll see what I mean. I find both of them safe and I'm comfortable coming and going whenever but for someone uncomfortable around, how shall I say, an "urban" demographic, they might prefer the Franklin stop over Nostrand. If it matters to you, I'm a black female.

If you're looking for bars, coffee shops and restaurants, those are mostly found a few blocks north along Franklin and Bedford. A new bar/restaurant just opened up right by you on Bedford called Bedford Hall. It's amazing! On Nostrand, they are clustered closer to Fulton.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City