Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:46 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozillameister View Post
I've been down this road before. Why would a company hire some entry level-ish hire thousands of miles away when they got more local people? I went to college in Upstate, and even they balk at hiring me after the phone interview (usually because they thought I was local) because a live a few hundred miles away. I have never once been invited to an out-of-state interview, and I've applied all over the country.

Moving to some random city without any income stream or guarantee of job is riiiisky. Right now, I am fortunate enough to be living in the 3rd floor in my parent's house rent-free (though obviously not with job). I won't be so fortunate in moving to some random city like Atlanta or Chicago.

Plus, I am starting a small part-time business on the side with a friend in the boroughs. If it is successful, the plan is to make that our dedicated "job", and not beg for opportunities to show our potential.

Tell us more about this "business"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
I am trying temp agencies. My possible position was from Randstad. My issue with temp agencies is at I often get bait and switched. Meaning, I apply for a Marketing Coordinator/Assistant role, am invited for an interview, and bait-and-switched with a commission-heavy Sales role. I got no problem with sales...so long as commissions are only secondary. Too much pressure in the sale leads to unethical behavior otherwise.

Anyway, I still say I'm interested, but they probably read my disinterest all over my face, and never call me back. I follow up, and always get a runaround.
You should also post in the career forum.

What type of agencies have you been working with and do they focus on a specific industry? Your education background seems pretty solid for an entry level position in the industry I work in (advertising/market research). Have you tried working with placement companies like AC Lion? they only deal with that industry and only with digital/internet/new media companies.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:34 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Well, whatever. I got a job working with my hands and haven't looked back. I guess I am a blue collar white girl at heart. Bad times and all, I'm still sitting pretty compared to guys like NYWriterDude, who is just a condescending hater here to try and affirm his 'intelligence' to us. What have you written? Dude? You talk big and come up short kiddo. You try and ride high like a writer who has produced things of real worth. Then come here and fake it because you know you have nothing worthy of publishing. I'm sorry you suck at writing and I hope you get in touch with reality. You know? The reality where you realize you have no skill set and are posting here to try and pretend you have a real value out there.

Wow who did you say is the "hater" here... Your postings have been nothing but sophomoric (Writer dude
can explain that to you if you don't understand)

Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 AM

92 posts, read 109,979 times
Quote:
Well, whatever. I got a job working with my hands and haven't looked back. I guess I am a blue collar white girl at heart.
...I'm not very good with my hands, lol. I have the hand-eye coordination of a bat without walls (assuming bats had hands).

Was picked on A LOT as a kid because I could never shoot hoop straight, and later could never punch anyone when trying to defend myself from them. I'd always miss. It was that bad.

I just tried building a cheap a** Kilby Ikea bookcase. Was nailing the back, and I completely missed the nail and hammer, and smashed the entire side....

Last edited by mozillameister; 12-30-2013 at 11:12 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
You should also post in the career forum.

What type of agencies have you been working with and do they focus on a specific industry? Your education background seems pretty solid for an entry level position in the industry I work in (advertising/market research). Have you tried working with placement companies like AC Lion? they only deal with that industry and only with digital/internet/new media companies.
What career forum?

So far, I've tried out Randstad, Kelly, Paladin, Michael Page, Aijion, and a few others that I can't quite recall. AC Lion does sound familiar...I think a college bud of mine works/ed there. Maybe I interviewed to be a recruiter there last year. I'll give em a shot.

Last edited by mozillameister; 12-30-2013 at 10:56 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, you can't expect people at networking events to magically get you a job. But successful University at Buffalo alumnae in economics or business should be able to give you general career advise and give you tips on where to apply.

With your undergraduate degree apply to a combination of big and small banks. Some of them have analyst, trading, or other specific banker training programs. Getting in a top bank may be tough, but there are smaller banks you can apply to as well.

Certain think tanks or non profits may need recent graduates. Certain government agencies like the Fed, NYS Banking Regulator, or the SEC may also be hiring. You might check out the NYSE or the NASDAQ, as well as other securities exchanges. Also check out hedge funds, mutual funds, and insurance companies.

While you do all this, you should be exploring MBA programs, as well as graduate programs in economics. It doesn't mean you should apply this year. But at some point in the not too distant future it may be advantageous for you to go to grad school or a MBA program. So look into taking either the GRE or the GMAT.

There are a lot of jobs in the financial sector if you're really interested in going that route.
I get that, but I did feel sort of snubbed for even being there. Same for the one for student networking in January, but that's because I'm no longer a student.

Like I said, I get the feeling like I'm the Marketing equivalent of Tim Tebow. So no one wants to give me a shot.

TBH, I haven't applied much in the Financial sector this year. Last year, the only "Finance" jobs I received interviews for were at Commission-Only Sales and "Stockbroker" positions (which I considered semi scams that are legal run by Fortune 500 and 1000 companies). Some include NorthWestern and Prudential.

I just don't like the Finance industry as a whole on moral grounds, and I did not have the GPA to get into an Analyst role (it was a 2.72 due to a really bad first year and never doing better than a B+ on multiple choice exams because of indecision).

2 questions about an MBA: Isn't it considered useless without proper experience? And how are online AACSB programs like North Dakota U vs. an in-person MBA like UB? The cost differential is enormous ($12K total vs. $50,000 + residency).

Last edited by mozillameister; 12-30-2013 at 11:14 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Tell us more about this "business"
Its secret. You'll find out when I'm on the Inc 500

I'm an idea generator when it comes to new venture ideas, but most are expensive. All I'll say is this one is very inexpensive to implement, but I would need to pitch it first to a few possible partners before it can really get started.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Well, whatever. I got a job working with my hands and haven't looked back. I guess I am a blue collar white girl at heart. Bad times and all, I'm still sitting pretty compared to guys like NYWriterDude, who is just a condescending hater here to try and affirm his 'intelligence' to us. What have you written? Dude? You talk big and come up short kiddo. You try and ride high like a writer who has produced things of real worth. Then come here and fake it because you know you have nothing worthy of publishing. I'm sorry you suck at writing and I hope you get in touch with reality. You know? The reality where you realize you have no skill set and are posting here to try and pretend you have a real value out there.
You're a blue collar girl now? Fame and fortune in the fashion industry left you or never came? Is that the source of your bitterness and rudeness? Me a hater? No, you project hateful posts towards everyone who comes here asking for questions. It mainly has to do with your multiple failures at romance, at career, and at life, and you try to take it out on people like the OP with your posts. Its no one's else's fault you're a fairly miserable person.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:11 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
I get that, but I did feel sort of snubbed for even being there. Same for the one for student networking in January, but that's because I'm no longer a student.

Like I said, I get the feeling like I'm the Marketing equivalent of Tim Tebow. So no one wants to give me a shot.

TBH, I haven't applied much in the Financial sector this year. Last year, the only "Finance" jobs I received interviews for were at Commission-Only Sales and "Stockbroker" positions (which I considered semi scams that are legal run by Fortune 500 and 1000 companies). Some include NorthWestern and Prudential.

I just don't like the Finance industry as a whole, and I did not have the GPA to get into an Analyst role (it was a 2.72 due to a really bad first year and never doing better than a B+ on multiple choice exams because of indecision).

2 questions about an MBA: Isn't it considered useless without proper experience? And how are online AACSB programs like North Dakota U vs. an in-person MBA like UB? The cost differential is enormous ($12K total vs. $50,000 + residency).
I don't blame you for not wanting to do sales in banking or finance. But there are plenty of other jobs in finance that have nothing to do with sales. For that you'll have to research the sector yourself. Outside of the star analyst positions banks can be a bit less picky for who they hire. There's hedge funds, venture capital, mutual funds, investment banks, etc. Why not apply for operation positions? They have no sales involved.

Basically, to even get to an MBA it helps if you have proper work experience. And I doubt you would get a decent job in NYC with an online MBA from North Dakota U.

Focus on working your way up into better jobs, and that will help you get into the better MBA programs in the future.

You're in NYC, the center of finance. Get a financial job, work your way up in that sector, then apply to MBA programs.

Btw, your first job in finance does not have to be perfect. It just needs to be in the business. Stay on it long enough to put it on your resume (at least 6 months or so) and then start applying for better jobs in the business. You could even start out as a sales assistant or trading assistant to brokers and traders (you would be paid on salary at the big firms). I will private message you some leads.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:14 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't blame you for not wanting to do sales in banking or finance. But there are plenty of other jobs in finance that have nothing to do with sales. For that you'll have to research the sector yourself. Outside of the star analyst positions banks can be a bit less picky for who they hire. There's hedge funds, venture capital, mutual funds, investment banks, etc. Why not apply for operation positions? They have no sales involved.

Basically, to even get to an MBA it helps if you have proper work experience. And I doubt you would get a decent job in NYC with an online MBA from North Dakota U.

Focus on working your way up into better jobs, and that will help you get into the better MBA programs in the future.

You're in NYC, the center of finance. Get a financial job, work your way up in that sector, then apply to MBA programs.

Btw, your first job in finance does not have to be perfect. It just needs to be in the business. Stay on it long enough to put it on your resume (at least 6 months or so) and then start applying for better jobs in the business. You could even start out as a sales assistant or trading assistant to brokers and traders (you would be paid on salary at the big firms). I will private message you some leads.
I was just thinking trading assistant; there is room for growth there. Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City