Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:05 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times

Advertisements

Rescuing these old horses and giving them sanctuary is special treatment and IMO they deserve it for serving in harsh conditions under the spotlights. But the truth is that when the days for a rural horse is coming to a closure old and sick, it's off to the bolt pistol house. And it's the humane thing to do. The use of the bolt pistol is up for debate though. No rescue groups or activists around in these areas, they are mainly based in metropolitan areas rescuing smaller pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 02:08 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And that's what the real taxi cabs are for (the yellow automobiles).
It is always nice for the near richm aka near poor, that they don't have to rub elbows with the hoi polloi...even if they have to go into debt to take the cabs.

"Oh I NEVER take the subway to my 300 square foot studio on Delancey Street. I'm upwardly mobile."

Old 12-31-2013, 02:09 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
So much for caring about the working man. I wonder what these men are now going to do for a living? Maybe they can scrub toilets in Gracie Mansion.

And Bill, if you're such an animal lover, could you please ban the Chassidic Jews from swinging chickens over their heads like a bunch of idiots. Now that's animal cruelty. And there is no religious basis for animal cruelty.

Oh never mind. They vote in a bloc, and you can't risk losing the bloc. The horse guys, who cares?

Old 12-31-2013, 02:15 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:

I wonder what these men are now going to do for a living? Maybe they can
scrub toilets in Gracie Mansion.
Perhaps go back to Baghdad?

Old 12-31-2013, 05:12 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,211 times
Ok, you guys are all nuts. Optimists maybe, but nuts. I have a REALLY strong feeling that 95% of everyone here who is insisting these horses will be rescued have NO experience with horses aside from a ride or two over the years (if that). Two points:

1. The simple truth is that these horses are in big trouble and the VAST majority of them will be in bad situations. Think about it- you basically fire the driver, and leave him with an expensive animal that is essentially useless to him. If you really honestly think that the horse owners are going to GIVE these horses to retirement homes/rescues you're nuts. I guarantee that nearly all of them are listed for sale at first for high prices, the owners hoping that the attraction of them being NYC carriage horses fetches the price. When they don't sell in a month or two they will be sent to auction. In an auction these horses are really doomed. They are all large draft crosses (i.e. not what most people seek for an riding horse) who will fetch a good price with the slaughter buyers since horse meat is priced by the pound. Yeah, if a rescue catches wind that a carriage horse is going through a specific sale maybe they will go buy them, but the truth plain and simple is that dozens of famous horses (racehorses, showjumpers, etc) end up in slaughterhouses each year when they fall upon similar circumstances. So unless these rescues are raising money to BUY each of these horses, it's just not happening.

2. For some insane reason NYC residents are all up in arms over the treatment of 200 horses who are kept clean, well-fed and fit. Yet nobody seems to care about things like this...

10,000 US Thoroughbred racehorses go to slaughter in Canada/Mexico each year and approximately 750 die on the track.

Ever heard of the menopause drug Premarin? Go ahead and google 'PMU foals'.. well tens of thousands of horses are killed in this industry each year, especially foals. They refer to them as 'by products' of production. ok.

interesting priorities.

Edited to say that I think it's dumb to get rid of them. I don't support it.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:28 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
rex ryan looks like de blasio

Old 12-31-2013, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 12,669 times
The thing is, a New Yorker would be able to have more of an impact on the horses in Central Park since it's in their own city. It's much easier to protest or vote on the issue since it's in their own home. I'm sure that they do care about those other issues, but what can a New Yorker do about horses in Canada or Mexico? That problem is out of their reach, so to speak; it would require much more effort, people, and organization. Thus, the least they can do is care for the horse closer to home.

I'm not saying I'm for or against the ban, but I just wanted to add some perspective that you may not have considered.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:01 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I am against working the animals inhumanely, but all of you who think there are tons of empty horse rescue slots out there are smoking something.
Horses are going to Mexico to be butchered by the thousands.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBouzy View Post
The thing is, a New Yorker would be able to have more of an impact on the horses in Central Park since it's in their own city. It's much easier to protest or vote on the issue since it's in their own home. I'm sure that they do care about those other issues, but what can a New Yorker do about horses in Canada or Mexico? That problem is out of their reach, so to speak; it would require much more effort, people, and organization. Thus, the least they can do is care for the horse closer to home.

I'm not saying I'm for or against the ban, but I just wanted to add some perspective that you may not have considered.
Good point. This is about the Mayor of NY ending an outdated service. There's no reason for the city to allow horse carriages to be out in the street, where the animals are terrorized by the cars.

For those saying the city horses will be killed once the pedicabs are outlawed, what happens to the horses when they grow too old to pull the pedicabs? Don't pretend that those horses are immortal. Yes, one day they will be dead, but that will happen REGARDLESS of whether the pedicabs are outlawed or not. Everything DIES one day.

I'm sure the pedicabs get in the way of traffic, and there's sanitation issues with horse DUNG on the streets.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:15 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
I am not from NY but visit- so now with the POLICE horses are they all gone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City