Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,031,529 times

Advertisements

I would drive...no way I would walk around there after dark.

Last edited by Jasper03; 01-04-2014 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 12:42 AM

28 posts, read 79,415 times
Back to city-data, considering another move!

I, too, am looking at a job at SBH. First concern is that working in the Bronx could be social suicide. Most of my friends in NYC live/work UES or in Brooklyn.

However, I'm a young single professional in my early 30s. Would be moving to NYC after time in Chicago and Los Angeles.

I get that it would be dumb to live where I think I would be the most at home (Brooklyn) - so what's the next best, somewhat convenient option for commuting to the South Bronx?

My rent goal is <$2000, I'd be more comfortable around $1600. I have a car that I am willing to sell once I get there, I love public transportation.

Neighborhood safety is a priority, but I certainly don't mind being on the front edge of that. My neighborhoods in previous cities have primarily been working class hispanic neighborhoods full of families. While they weren't the "hippest" neighborhoods yet, they were close enough to hip that I wasn't bored, but not loud or ridiculously expensive. I also plan on getting a dog again once I move, so it's important that I can walk it at alone at night if needed.

Most of my friends live UES, but that's looking like a ~60 minute commute on public transportation with multiple transfers. Would any area of Harlem be reasonable? Are there areas of the Bronx that I would like - I'm told that the "nicer" areas are very family-oriented which is not where I am yet in my life. Sounds like most of my potential coworkers live in Queens and drive to work.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:01 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,343,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njac View Post
Back to city-data, considering another move!

I, too, am looking at a job at SBH. First concern is that working in the Bronx could be social suicide. Most of my friends in NYC live/work UES or in Brooklyn.

However, I'm a young single professional in my early 30s. Would be moving to NYC after time in Chicago and Los Angeles.

I get that it would be dumb to live where I think I would be the most at home (Brooklyn) - so what's the next best, somewhat convenient option for commuting to the South Bronx?

My rent goal is <$2000, I'd be more comfortable around $1600. I have a car that I am willing to sell once I get there, I love public transportation.

Neighborhood safety is a priority, but I certainly don't mind being on the front edge of that. My neighborhoods in previous cities have primarily been working class hispanic neighborhoods full of families. While they weren't the "hippest" neighborhoods yet, they were close enough to hip that I wasn't bored, but not loud or ridiculously expensive. I also plan on getting a dog again once I move, so it's important that I can walk it at alone at night if needed.

Most of my friends live UES, but that's looking like a ~60 minute commute on public transportation with multiple transfers. Would any area of Harlem be reasonable? Are there areas of the Bronx that I would like - I'm told that the "nicer" areas are very family-oriented which is not where I am yet in my life. Sounds like most of my potential coworkers live in Queens and drive to work.
My old hood Pelham parkway and also Morris park might work for you. Safe, reasonable rents, and there quite a bit of variety along white plains road. I was single and my social life was definitely strong but I also wanted more house for the money and purchased in the neighborhood that met mist of my needs at a price I could afford. Given your background, I think PP might definitely work but you will be commuting and cabbing to the manhattan hot spots. That may or may not crimp your style..it didn't bother me bc I'm used to commuting but so does everyone.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:06 AM

28 posts, read 79,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My old hood Pelham parkway and also Morris park might work for you. Safe, reasonable rents, and there quite a bit of variety along white plains road. I was single and my social life was definitely strong but I also wanted more house for the money and purchased in the neighborhood that met mist of my needs at a price I could afford. Given your background, I think PP might definitely work but you will be commuting and cabbing to the manhattan hot spots. That may or may not crimp your style..it didn't bother me bc I'm used to commuting but so does everyone.
Thanks for the input! Will include PP in my search!

Old 09-28-2014, 01:08 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,751,098 times
Washington Heights seems to fit with the description of where you have lived before. There's a rent stabilized 1BR for $1313 over on west 187st/saint nicholas.

Harlem does have rents ranging from 1300-1800 for 1br in btwn 125-145sts.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:57 AM

579 posts, read 941,685 times
your perception of the Bronx is somewhat dated. There are areas of the borough that have already been rediscovered and would suit your needs. In fact the rent you want to pay will force you to consider the Bronx. The Grand Concourse area near Yankee stadium, Melrose, Port Morris, Bedford - Mosholu, and Pelham Parkway are all areas you should consider.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:15 AM

300 posts, read 373,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
your perception of the Bronx is somewhat dated. There are areas of the borough that have already been rediscovered and would suit your needs. In fact the rent you want to pay will force you to consider the Bronx. The Grand Concourse area near Yankee stadium, Melrose, Port Morris, Bedford - Mosholu, and Pelham Parkway are all areas you should consider.
lol... Are you really comparing the Upper West Side to Melrose, Grand Concourse and Port Morris?? Come on man. I know you love the Bronx and all but you're not being honest here. Melrose is a very rough neighborhood, filled with TONS of vacant lots and housing projects. Maybe parts of Pelham Parkway are okay, but even around there there are rough patches.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:05 AM

579 posts, read 941,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
lol... Are you really comparing the Upper West Side to Melrose, Grand Concourse and Port Morris?? Come on man. I know you love the Bronx and all but you're not being honest here. Melrose is a very rough neighborhood, filled with TONS of vacant lots and housing projects. Maybe parts of Pelham Parkway are okay, but even around there there are rough patches.
grovesner, I wasn't comparing UWS to those Bronx nabes as the difference in the rents make them incomparable. I was merely offering the OP some suggestions about up and coming areas he/she might consider in the price range quoted. As I said in my other post, I will ignore your replies because you have a very negative opinion of the Bronx and I think it futile to engage with you on these matters.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:16 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,017,873 times
Quote:
grovesner, I wasn't comparing UWS to those Bronx nabes as the difference in the rents make them incomparable. I was merely offering the OP some suggestions about up and coming areas he/she might consider in the price range quoted. As I said in my other post, I will ignore your replies because you have a very negative opinion of the Bronx and I think it futile to engage with you on these matters.
Pietrang, don't worry about this poster. Just ignore him. If you check his posting history you will see the fights he has picked, the insults he has slung, etc., all while maintaining a holier-than-thou stance, and you will see it's best to ignore his drivel. I see he's telling you in this thread to "be honest here" (which I guess means he's saying you're lying). Meanwhile in his other posts he believes he's the savior of morals and good behavior on the board

Old 09-28-2014, 06:23 PM

300 posts, read 373,167 times
Quote:
Not negative. Just honest. These people need to know the truth and there's no point in giving them false illusions of something that may not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City