Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:33 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Action Bronson is arguably the nicest MC out of New York these days and homeboy ain't even black or mainstream.
I always been a fan of AB since I first heard him some years back. The man was a chef and even slipped in the kitchen and broke his leg.

Here are some other NYC artist I like and are part of the AB circle -

From Astoria -

From Flushing -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 01:32 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Yo, Rappahs, every since Notorious B.I.G. took one for all of us HIP HOP has been deader than Tupac. Yo, yo, yo bro!

Old 03-01-2014, 04:34 PM

32 posts, read 35,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Yo, Rappahs, every since Notorious B.I.G. took one for all of us HIP HOP has been deader than Tupac. Yo, yo, yo bro!
Wow! You are very ignorant and your joke wasn't even funny.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
uh NY not dead Pro Era + Asap + Cash Money...nicki from NY you know

Anyways if your looking for underground hip hop its still here

Black Hippy just gets more rep than pro era b/c lyrically they ARE better and they have different sounds. Oh and not to mention they have the backing of two very successful sought after producers, Pharell Williams and Dr. Dre. They also have access to Eminem b/c of their relationship with Dre. NY is NEVER going to be on top for years to come with Black Hippy around and all the support they are getting.

See the issue with the East Coat is that we don't support our rappers while West coast do. Just the way it has been for years. Unless East Coast rappers get support from actual rapers or veterans in the game (Nas-Busta Rhymes-P Diddy-Wutang-JayZ-50 Cent-Russel etc), they are left to the wolves of the well known record companies and that is not a good situation.

Last edited by MilksFavoriteCookie; 03-03-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 03:22 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SippiStateBulldogs View Post
New York is the so called birthplace of hip-hop (I say so called because the Blacks in New York in the 70's where did come from? Southern migrants and Caribbean immigants.), why is New York no longer relevant. I watch a lot of Sway's show, Dj vlad, this is 50 and it seems as though they keep talking about the state of Hip-Hop in NY. I mean I do not care because I grew up in California so New York lost me on the Westcaost Eastcoast beef era of the 90's. Remember New Yorkers were saying the samething about Westcoast rap that they do now about the south. It's ignorant, glorify's buffoonery. And since my parents were both from Mississippi I further lost interest in New York when people started complaing about Southern rap. What is New York's place in Hip-Hop today? Would like to here from New Yorkers.
Just from the first sentence I can see this is just a nonsense thread created by the OP.

Hip hop started in New York. Doesn't matter that the African Americans ancestry was from the south smh.

And you should be worrying about west coast hip hop because hip hop there is so dead it actually makes NYC hip hop look alive.

I wonder why people never mentions the state of California hip hop.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I listen to ASAP MOB to Bath salt coke and white ******* all of that But outside of them who is really relevant thats post 2005. Also ASAP MOB sounds like southern rap. What is the New York sound now? If I had to rank cities according to relevance and sound it would be: 1. Atlanta, 2. Houston, 3. Los Angeles, 4. Memphis, and 5. the Bay area. What happen to the New York sound?
Non of those cities have a strong voice in hip hop other then Atlanta. Memphis? Lmao. And no Miami? No Chicago. Or even philly?Can't take this list serious. L.A hip hop isn't any more alive then NYC either.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xda8NvdEfA

sounds pretty NYC to me... Just came out late 2013. Have this song on replay. Takes me back to a different era...

As for hip hop Pro Era's been slipping a little bit but the NYC underground scene is hotter than ever and these guys are all starting to make it big... Guys like Vado and Joell Ortiz, and Torae all got signed to major companies in the last two years... Pro Era's been on world tour after world tour and if Steez was still alive they'd be owning the NYC hip hop movement right now... Cap Steez was a beast. Look his stuff up on youtube... The problem is, just like what's happening pretty much everywhere else this generation of youth got complacent... Work ethic went by the waist side since everything was handed to them... Even in the hoods you had kids on welfare rocking J's with sidekicks and $700 northfaces without having earned any of that... Back then, you put on a new pair of kicks in the hood and you knew you were getting robbed or you'd have to lace up to protect what you paid for with your hard earned money...

Point of it all being, because of this complacency, lazy rap became popular rap. Southern hip hop with its same retarded beat that you hear on every single freaking song on the radio nowadays became mainstream because it's easy to do... Thankfully though, the kids are starting to wake up and you're seeing a lot more socially conscious and lyrically talented hip hop heads starting to grab the mike again... Mainstream will always be commercial garbage IMO but underground hasn't been this hot in over ten years... You south cats though love to talk smack about NYC but the reality is the envy you guys feel for this city shows every single time you talk about us... Notice we never bring the south up on any conversation unless it's brought to our attention... Think about that...
Troy ave is dope 2.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I thought about that angle to but the whole gentrification and delining Black population can not be an excuse. The Bay Area in Northern California especially San Francisco and Oakland are having extreme gentrification and Black population loss but they still support local artists and have their own sound while still being relevant.
Bay Area has no relevance in hip hop. Just like New York it's underground.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I like real music. When it comes to rap I listen mostly to Southern and Westcoast artist all though there was a time I listened to more Eastcoast rap or West and South artist who sounded Eastcoast. That was the Mid-90's. As I matured the conscious rap was less appealing to me then the get money and handle my business tap once an adult and married. Anyways who do you have post 2005 thats of Asap Mobb or Joey Bad*** caliber. Or Smoke DZA. Put me up one some people because I am a rap fan in general.
Real music and southern? Sounds contradicting lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City