Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 06:09 PM

428 posts, read 848,899 times

Advertisements

New York is the so called birthplace of hip-hop (I say so called because the Blacks in New York in the 70's where did come from? Southern migrants and Caribbean immigants.), why is New York no longer relevant. I watch a lot of Sway's show, Dj vlad, this is 50 and it seems as though they keep talking about the state of Hip-Hop in NY. I mean I do not care because I grew up in California so New York lost me on the Westcaost Eastcoast beef era of the 90's. Remember New Yorkers were saying the samething about Westcoast rap that they do now about the south. It's ignorant, glorify's buffoonery. And since my parents were both from Mississippi I further lost interest in New York when people started complaing about Southern rap. What is New York's place in Hip-Hop today? Would like to here from New Yorkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 06:13 PM

7 posts, read 21,317 times
Asap mob

Old 01-02-2014, 06:20 PM

428 posts, read 848,899 times
I listen to ASAP MOB to Bath salt coke and white ******* all of that But outside of them who is really relevant thats post 2005. Also ASAP MOB sounds like southern rap. What is the New York sound now? If I had to rank cities according to relevance and sound it would be: 1. Atlanta, 2. Houston, 3. Los Angeles, 4. Memphis, and 5. the Bay area. What happen to the New York sound?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:23 PM

7 posts, read 21,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SippiStateBulldogs View Post
I listen to ASAP MOB to Bath salt coke and white ******* all of that But outside of them who is really relevant thats post 2005. Also ASAP MOB sounds like southern rap. What is the New York sound now? If I had to rank cities according to relevance and sound it would be: 1. Atlanta, 2. Houston, 3. Los Angeles, 4. Memphis, and 5. the Bay area. What happen to the New York sound?
Southern hip hop is mindless crap. When Rick Ross and Trinidad James are considered genuine representatives of the South, you know your genre is bad.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:25 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
NYC started taking L's ever since the hippies occupied and settled along the L line.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:36 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
Well, NYC hip hop is perhaps no longer popular in mainstream terms. But there are a lot of artist who are good in my opinion and who are local. Some have mainstream success.

Something for you from eastern Brooklyn -

Old 01-02-2014, 06:47 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Ny hip hop is more undergound than ever. It's just not as commercial anymore. It's still very relevant, just not as much to mainstream america.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:55 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default cultural choke points

The answer is in the music industry executives that control all the cultural choke points. They want to push a threefold agenda.
Love of money
Sexual Degeneracy
Drug Culture

They find that the culture of the rural south better reflects their agendas so rural southern rappers from the southern sharecropper culture are pushed to the fore. In media we are taught that for mass-appeal we should aim towards a 14 year-old audience. The unsophisticated culture of the sharecropper fits this bill perfectly for greatest mass-appeal.

This is why urban rap from NY is not in vogue now with the cultural mandarins that control media. Hip hop is played out anyway. This is early 1980's street culture that is no longer relevant. How long can the media executives milk this and how much longer will the mindless Americans adopt this corporate cultural sewage as their culture?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:56 PM

39 posts, read 82,090 times
Hip-Hop is universal. No longer do people look to New York because they have their own local artist representing and doing very well.

As for me I stop listening to radio because a lot of today's artist (no matter what location) is talking about the same things. No need to list them I think we all know what they talk about.

The good thing is Hip Hop is going strong for over 30 years but honestly I feel the music has lost its soul . There is good music in NY but you won't hear it on the radio. You have to look to the underground scene but with some clubs and lounges that cater to hip hop music closing down over the years it's getting harder for an rap artist to get their voice heard

Old 01-02-2014, 07:10 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
NYC Hip Hop got watered down during the 90's. Sorry but Biggie talking slowly over overproduced beats just doesn't cut it. This gave way to more openings from other places. Cali was finally getting the credit they deserved and dirty south was beginning to grow.

I personally gave up on hip hop during the 90's but the booty shaking dirty south sound got me back interested. WHY ? Dirt South has rhythm....it moves. Nothing is lamer than hearing some guy talking over a beat. There is no flow to it.

Rakem
Big Daddy Kane
Chuck D
Roxanne Shante
Ice T
Kool G Rap

These are people I look to for a good rhyme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City