Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 107,113 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I just got a job in Stamford, CT and am now looking for a place to live. I would really like to live in New York City and commute to Stamford. Really new to this, so any opinions welcomed.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,903 times
To ease the commute, you could look for a place near Grand Central, since that's where you will have to take the train to and from.

Will your job in Stamford be close to the train station there?

What is your budget?

Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 PM

Yes, they do. My budget is around $1,300-$1,500 a month. Also, I know if you work in NYC, you are charged city tax. But, if you just live there and work in Stamford, do you have to pay any kind of city tax for living in NYC? Thanks for your help!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:42 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,016 times
I did just this very thing for a couple of years. It's not a bad commute if you live where you can walk or take the subway to a metro north station in Manhattan or the Bronx. Also it is important that your job is near the metro north station in Stamford.

The Bronx is good if you live in a place that also has parking and you can drive. You would be there in no time and you could work anywhere in Stamford. The metro north ride from the Bronx is also cheaper.

With the metro north even though you will pay less for the reverse commute, keep in mind that the trains will come less frequently for non-peak riders.

If I had to do it all over again I would just live in Stamford and come to NYC on my days off. It's a hassle especially when the weather is wet or snowing. jmo

Old 11-27-2007, 12:48 PM

Okay, great. That was very helpful. Thanks so much. Also, what area is the Grand Central station in? Midtown? Not quite familiar with all that. Also, do you pay any kind of City Tax for living in the city? I know if you work there, you are taxed. But if I'm working in Stamford, that should not be an issue.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:50 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,016 times
No not for living here exactly, but when I worked up there they took out NYC tax out of my pay because I was a NYC resident. They also took out NYS tax. I don't know if that has changed now.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:56 PM

Oh, so you are taxed based on where you live? I'm not sure if you would know that, but if anyone else knows the answer. Please let me know. Thanks for letting me know that!

Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
Yes, if you live in NYC, you pay tax in NYC. Regardless of where you earn the money.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:38 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,833 times
Other way around would give you more bucks (dollars), NYC pays a great amount more than the rest of the states ex
SALARY COMPARISON
About this calculator:

•Using data provided by researchers at ACCRA, Inc., we compare key expenses in dozens of major cities. Costs include housing, utilities, transportation and health care.

More real estate tools• How much house can you afford?

Mortgage payment estimator

Renovation wizard (http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/renovation/renovation.html - broken link)

Salary in Stamford CT:
$300,000
Comparable salary in New York (Manhattan) NY:
$415,859.86

If you move from Stamford CT to New York (Manhattan) NY...
Groceries will cost:22.896%moreHousing will cost:65.218%moreUtilities will cost:17.463%moreTransportation will cost:3.327%moreHealthcare will cost:12.408%more
They pay more for the living cost, but you really wouldnt need the extra because you would be living in CT, more to the table.. staying in NYC that money will be gone before you can cash it

Old 11-28-2007, 08:02 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Why not live in Stamford? Are you just wanting the NYC experience? I totally understand that. Stamford is just Stamford, after all. But, the quality of life here is incredible. It is costly, but cheaper than Manhattan.
Stamford has a ton of new apartments/condos going up now; plus many other apartment and condo buildings that are less than 10 years old. Downtown is clean, safe, and there's a lot to do. Metro North just takes 44 minutes to grand central. You should check out Stamford itself and see if it fits what you might be looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: