Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:01 AM

343 posts, read 1,092,500 times

Advertisements

hey guys!

so which is the better way to go? we have TWC in the house now, but I think I may want Fios. for one, Fios has FearNet, and i'm a horror movie head

Fios also seems cheaper, with faster internet, and more channels.
But i'm so familiar with TWC, i've used it all my life. and then there's NY1.. i would miss Pat Kiernan

But how is Fios service? TWC is ANNOYING when the digital service goes in & out and the sound cuts off or the picture goes out or the guide doesn't work, or the box needs to reboot LOL smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
FIOS is better product. But there are other considerations. I believe FIOS is only through contract. Also there is the little bugaboo it's (FIOS) not available in many places.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 AM

17 posts, read 72,448 times
Dumped TWC 2+yrs ago and never looked back. Superior TV quality and internet is way way better than time warner. The HD quality is noticeable and the set top box are much quicker in changing channels and stuff. Also one other thing was with TWC I would not be able to get online starting at 5pm to 1am every day due to their over subscribed nodes.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetero View Post
Dumped TWC 2+yrs ago and never looked back. Superior TV quality and internet is way way better than time warner. The HD quality is noticeable and the set top box are much quicker in changing channels and stuff. Also one other thing was with TWC I would not be able to get online starting at 5pm to 1am every day due to their over subscribed nodes.
oh wow. my wifi does seem to go out a lot, but never for that long

Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 AM

25 posts, read 110,550 times
TWC is horrible. Three years ago, in my building I could only get TWC. They did the bare minimum because they knew there wasn't any competition. Once Fios was available I left TWC for Fios and haven't looked back. Everyone in my neighorhood did too. There were Verizon vans parked outside from early morning to late night.

TWC knocks on the door every other month asking me to come back and they will give me 300$ credit

Old 01-07-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCStudent427 View Post
TWC is horrible. Three years ago, in my building I could only get TWC. They did the bare minimum because they knew there wasn't any competition. Once Fios was available I left TWC for Fios and haven't looked back. Everyone in my neighorhood did too. There were Verizon vans parked outside from early morning to late night.

TWC knocks on the door every other month asking me to come back and they will give me 300$ credit
haha! wow! So is Fios service good, does it ever go out? How is the customer care at fixing problems?

Old 01-07-2014, 08:59 AM

17 posts, read 72,448 times
In all these years I've had fios, I never had a single problem that I needed to call, but if you do, they can reset the ONT from their end and do some troubleshooting. Only issue I've read was verizon billing nightmares but I just order online and never had to call in about any bill issues either.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:03 AM

290 posts, read 688,395 times
I'm in the same boat as you. Hmmmm... Decisions decisions. Constantly having to reboot my damn box, and looking for a show in my list that should've been recorded only to find out the box wasn't recording ANYTHING for the past 3 days, is amazingly frustrating. But I'm so bad with change! :-/

I know there's all kinds of parameters & options that make it different across the board, but on avg what is the difference in price amongst TWC & Fios? Anyone know if being a long time cell phone customer (10 years) with Verizon makes a diff?? :-)

Old 01-07-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. Hmmmm... Decisions decisions. Constantly having to reboot my damn box, and looking for a show in my list that should've been recorded only to find out the box wasn't recording ANYTHING for the past 3 days, is amazingly frustrating. But I'm so bad with change! :-/

I know there's all kinds of parameters & options that make it different across the board, but on avg what is the difference in price amongst TWC & Fios? Anyone know if being a long time cell phone customer (10 years) with Verizon makes a diff?? :-)
the long time cell customer probably would work to your advantage! and even telling them you're switching from TWC probably will too lol. i find that with services like this (cell phone, cable..) if you make enough of a fuss they will accommodate you i have fussed my way through TWC but unfortunately the service just isn't cutting it for me anymore the price is too my main concern. I feel like i'm paying out the wahzoo for mediocre service with TWC. I've tried to compare prices online but its always different when you have an actual bill.. thats why i was hoping the people here could help.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Fios is more expensive than tws last time I checked. i dont watch tv so i have internet for $20 per month, which is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City