Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:57 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Mayor Cory Booker of Newark did the same - shoveled his own property (also with the attention of the media), his neighbors', took his neighbors in when the power went out in some storms, stuff like that.

What did he do? Run for Senate, won, and resigned as mayor of Newark in the middle of his term.

I'm not saying de Blasio is going to do the same (he obviously isn't), what I'm saying is, shoveling snow and even being a good neighbor doesn't instantly make you a good mayor - let alone the best in the city's history.
deBlasio is no Cory Booker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 02:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
deBlasio is no Cory Booker
In what way?

Are they both hands on, clearly wiling to shovel their own properties (why wouldn't they be anyway?) and take care of themselves, yes.

Are they both going to abandon their cities, no. Only Booker did. I think I acknowledged that de Blasio isn't Booker in that sense but my point wasn't about abandoning the city anyway, that aspect was just used to support my point. My point was that shoveling your own property doesn't make you a good mayor. It's actually ridiculous that someone would even suggest that it does.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:23 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
In what way?

Are they both hands on, clearly wiling to shovel their own properties (why wouldn't they be anyway?) and take care of themselves, yes.

Are they both going to abandon their cities, no. Only Booker did. I think I acknowledged that de Blasio isn't Booker in that sense but my point wasn't about abandoning the city anyway, that aspect was just used to support my point. My point was that shoveling your own property doesn't make you a good mayor. It's actually ridiculous that someone would even suggest that it does.
To compare deBlasio to Booker at this point in his administration is ludicrous. Booker has a solid record of being a hands on mayor. deBlasio is still an unknown. The only "accomplishment" that I am aware of is his attempt to undermine the Reagan administration in Nicaragua.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:32 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I like how people touted Gov.Spitzer as the best governor when he took office and look what happened after that... Don't assume anything..

Old 01-08-2014, 02:36 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Bill de Blasio is the Best Mayor in the History of NYC

Sure! 8 days into his first term.

Koch, Rudy, LaGuardia, Boss Tweed? They're rank amateurs.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
To compare deBlasio to Booker at this point in his administration is ludicrous. Booker has a solid record of being a hands on mayor. deBlasio is still an unknown. The only "accomplishment" that I am aware of is his attempt to undermine the Reagan administration in Nicaragua.
I agree. I misunderstood you at first, I think.

It's ridiculous on any level to call de Blasio the best mayor in the city's history after only a week or so.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:13 PM

544 posts, read 1,526,925 times
[quote=bilmin;32930767]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
What a boot licker you are... I hope you have some success looking for a job now that your city job has
gone away
If you had a tad of brains you'd have used facts instead of a foul mouth.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:31 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Hope he sticks around NY for a while before he bolts to Pennsylvania Ave
Pennsylvania Avenue? Why in the world would he move to Starrett City?

Old 01-08-2014, 06:37 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I don't think this thread is a joke. The Op (and some others) are being dead honest. This is truly how fickle a strong majority of our electorate is, on both sides of the aisle. Throw them a few lofty promises, a couple of lies, some quirky attributes, mix with a non-stop news cycle pushed by an unethical media establishment and Viola!, your next political celebrity is born.

Remember only 25% voted in the last mayoral election. Some of us being like me, voting because they think that it is their civic duty. Not because they cared for either candidate.

I don't think that the average NYer has any big expectations for de Blasio, or for Melissa Mark-V. We just hope that they don't damage the house too badly before they move out.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:41 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Pennsylvania Avenue? Why in the world would he move to Starrett City?

They think that he seriously stands a chance at the White House. I know you didn't get it as that notion is so ridiculous.

All these de Blasio worshippers need do is to look at who he has appointed, starting with Bratton. All centrist. De Blasio reserves his liberal agenda for lofty speeches. He will be very cautious as a mayor, and this is obvious by who he has picked, and how long it has taken for them to be picked.

My biggest concern will be him losing direction by governing cautiously, yet whipping out crowds to think that he will be radically "progressive".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City