Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:43 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
You know I agree--- it is just that this poster came across as being ENTITLED and that is what got to me.
Read her original again and see if you don't agree.
Next she never answered as to what her training was or is--- there are too many polyanna's on these forums that say go for your dreams---I have seen far too many young girls think they can make it on Broadway and somebody has to give them a dose or reality.
I know what you're saying, and the city can be harsh, theater work in particular. However, she came asking for advice about an area around 45-minutes from the city and under $1k, where she could commute by bus or train. That didn't strike me as entitled as she was not looking to live in the immediate environs of the Theater District, and fall into a paying role, while paying under $1k/month for a 2BR with a view. She's young and has the backing of her parents right now, so if she's going to make a transition, it's far easier with that level of support. It sounds as if she is looking to create a workable plan, as from her OP she currently has a job while attending school, but not one that could finance the expense of moving to NYC and looking for work in her field. It's better to try and change focus if things don't work out, then to live a lifetime of regret when thinking of that which was not pursued.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 08:06 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I know what you're saying, and the city can be harsh, theater work in particular. However, she came asking for advice about an area around 45-minutes from the city and under $1k, where she could commute by bus or train. That didn't strike me as entitled as she was not looking to live in the immediate environs of the Theater District, and fall into a paying role, while paying under $1k/month for a 2BR with a view. She's young and has the backing of her parents right now, so if she's going to make a transition, it's far easier with that level of support. It sounds as if she is looking to create a workable plan, as from her OP she currently has a job while attending school, but not one that could finance the expense of moving to NYC and looking for work in her field. It's better to try and change focus if things don't work out, then to live a lifetime of regret when thinking of that which was not pursued.

ok- Now if she tells us what her experience in acting is and what her initial goals are perhaps some here could point her in the right direction of places that have good reputations where she can hone her skills.
The problem with NYC for actors is that "everybody is an actor" and many have lots and lots of experience that is very good. I will let others speak until she comes back and tells us what she has done. ok is that better?

Old 01-10-2014, 08:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

For NNJ, look at Fort Lee as well since you can catch a bus across the George
Washington Bridge
Fort Lee is no good because Christie won't let you cross the bridge.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Too late. I think the OP had decided to take her acting skills to Cleveland instead. I hear people from the midwest are much nicer than New Yorkers.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
ok- Now if she tells us what her experience in acting is and what her initial goals are perhaps some here could point her in the right direction of places that have good reputations where she can hone her skills.
The problem with NYC for actors is that "everybody is an actor" and many have lots and lots of experience that is very good. I will let others speak until she comes back and tells us what she has done. ok is that better?
Actually, in this thread, all she asked for was assistance in finding areas to look for housing, not advice on her career choice. Perhaps that would be in subsequent posts/threads, but not in this one, so such questions are irrelevant to the thread, as she did not ask about the direction of her career goals or strength of training at this point, yet people told her to stay away. That's not helpful, regardless as to your own opinions on the subject because she did not ask any of us for such a critique, just where to find housing that she can afford.

City-Data FAQs

Old 01-11-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Aside from days when the bridge is subject to delays due to political whims, Fort Lee should be okay, though I guess one could always hop on their bicycle to get across in the pedestrian lanes.

City-Data FAQs

Old 01-11-2014, 05:35 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
About 20 years ago we hired a secretary. She would introduce herself.."hi, im Mary, Im an actress". She was your typical extroverted artsy type that would emote dramatically, speak with a foriegn accent...all, as she said, to " hone her skills"

She never got beyond small time theater in Staten Island.

She still is a secretary but no longer says she is an actress.

Yep, dreams of that Oscar were replaced with real work, husband and a couple of kids.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
About 20 years ago we hired a secretary. She would introduce herself.."hi, im Mary, Im an actress". She was your typical extroverted artsy type that would emote dramatically, speak with a foriegn accent...all, as she said, to " hone her skills"

She never got beyond small time theater in Staten Island.

She still is a secretary but no longer says she is an actress.

Yep, dreams of that Oscar were replaced with real work, husband and a couple of kids.

An oft repeated story....

Old 09-28-2015, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,610 times
Looking as well. I am a former male musician that has traveled extentisivly through the US and abroud. I no longer play but I currently live in the midwest helping my aging folks on a farm. I long for the city after living in NYC, LA, for school. Dallas fort worth area. just need something cheap to get out of hillbilly hell. Im no rapist have a clean record no drugs no parties. I have a son in Fort Worth that i help out as much as I can. I'm pretty much an intravert at home. I dont like crowds but can handle them. Easy to get along with and stable to get a job if i find one quickly.
email me with more questions. This is not a hit to pick up on a girl. I just need to get away and start living and resume a new career.
Best wishes Midwest Boy Justin

Old 09-28-2015, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,610 times
As of the last text I am still a male just no longer a full tyme musician. That was a bad sentence. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City