U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:48 AM

9,845 posts, read 22,451,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
you must have misread my post.
i said east harlem has more public housing units than central and west harlem.

i never said central and west harlem didnt have any public housing units at all.

this is what makes east harlem a bad neighborhood.
just to show you, off the top of my head:

east harlem: taft, lehman, george washington, east river, thomas jefferson, holmes towers, carver, clinton, wagner

central/west harlem: manhattanville, grant, st. nick

since east harlem ends at about 132nd street i counted everything below 132nd street from hudson to harlem river.
They are also more concentrated in east Harlem compared to west/central, which tends to make it worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 11:22 AM

428 posts, read 1,335,034 times
The area around 114th, 115th, 116th st has a small remnant Italian population from back when the area was known as Italian Harlem. Fat Tony Salerno held court at the Palma Boys social CLub in East Harlem until his incarceration in 1985.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:51 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,326,000 times
There only a few Avenues and streets to wonder in East Harlem. 2nd and 3rd Avenues are usually fine with me, and 116th street. The 3 main corridors. 1st avenue is ok. The rest are not so good. Especially anything next to the many housing projects, and also Park avenue and Lexington Avenue. Even 125th street in East Harlem doesn't look that good to wonder. I usually have a better walk in West Harlem in most streets and avenues.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:22 PM

9,845 posts, read 22,451,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
The area around 114th, 115th, 116th st has a small remnant Italian population from back when the area was known as Italian Harlem. Fat Tony Salerno held court at the Palma Boys social CLub in East Harlem until his incarceration in 1985.
Yeah there is still an Italian restaurant around there, that's supposed to be like impossible to get into. I think the tables are like permanently reserved tables or something. I forget the name of the place.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,108,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah there is still an Italian restaurant around there, that's supposed to be like impossible to get into. I think the tables are like permanently reserved tables or something. I forget the name of the place.
it's called Rao's, you'd be lucky if you're allowed to sit at the bar. I heard that people buy their table there and get to use it at specific times.
There are still a handful of old italians living there but the young ones are not staying

Old 11-30-2007, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 20,258 times
is east harlem REALLY bad? no.
east harlem is a area on the come up. the area has cleaned up drastically within the past 5 years, and its not over yet. i project it'll take a while for the area to reach its full potential, but its well on the way. it will never be a PERFECT area though.
the plan is to completely re-develop harlem (central and west) then when thats complete, the focus will turn to east harlem. thats gonna take a WHILE. maybe 15, 20 years. the crime has drastically decreased, with new developements, low income housing, luxury condos poppin up all over. there were a lot of drug dealer blocks back in the day but its really calmed down. the east river plaza project is the best thing going as of right now, because the shopping is limited.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:26 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,319,172 times
Official....I agree....the area has improved dramatically..and barring any unforseen events, the area will continue to improve as new development and people are arriving all the time. It is a long term plan..but nonetheless...it will be improved!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:24 AM

5,530 posts, read 17,894,122 times
How is 135th and Lennox?

I presume it's considered east Harlem but what's the area like?

Old 12-06-2007, 07:15 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,072,094 times
No it's West Harlem. Check out this thread. It should provide most of what you need to know about the area.

HELP!! Question about Harlem Area Apartments

Old 12-06-2007, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 15,021 times
I don't know how many of these posters actually LIVE in East Harlem, but it doesn't sound like many do. Sounds more like you are speaking from very limited experiences of visiting the area, or just your general stereotypes of the neighborhood/things you have heard from others.

I am a 29 year old, white female, originally from a small country town in upstate ny, who just moved to the city a year ago ( have lived throughout the east coast previously, mostly in much smaller cities and/or suburbs) and I actually live here in East Harlem. IMO, it is not that bad. The biggest detractor is the distance from transportation (we live on Pleasant Ave, so far from the subway) and the lack of services ( lots of bodegas, few of anything else, no starbucks, not many good places to eat, though you do have the original Patsys!, no real shopping options, nothing but a little Fine Fare for a grocery store) but all these posts make it sound like it's a dangerous war zone up here. Granted, there are lots of housing projects and you have plenty of trash on the siewalks, and lots of people hang out on the streets, but I have never really felt in danger or even unsafe walking around here at any hour. Now, I do use common sense, stay on the main drag of 116 when I am coming home late at night, etc. but I don't think the main negatives about this neighborhood have to do with the safety issues anymore and I think most of the people I have read on this post are speaking from very generic and/or uninformed views of the neighborhood. would this be my first choice for neighborhoods to live in? not in a million years, but you can't beat the rents and size of the apartments compared to many other Manhattan neighborhoods and ultimately I don't feel unsafe living here. hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or