Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,633,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
The police always make it worse than it actually is. Their perception is twisted because they are exposed to all the bad things that happen in the neighborhood.
Their reality is that bad things do happen in the neighborhood. Is it better for the residents and visitors for the PD to be proactive or reactive?
Suggesting their perception is twisted, is twisted. Unless you are with them 24/7, you really don't know everything which happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 08:56 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,229,032 times
Quote:
The police always make it worse than it actually is. Their perception is twisted because they are exposed to all the bad things that happen in the neighborhood.
Take it from me, nothing makes a police officer's night more, than standing in the lobby of a precinct in a bad neighborhood, listening to some French tourist crying, "Then, while they were beating and robbing me, she ran off, and now I can't find her! Please help me! She doesn't speak any English!"
The accent is marvelous.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,987,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Take it from me, nothing makes a police officer's night more, than standing in the lobby of a precinct in a bad neighborhood, listening to some French tourist crying, "Then, while they were beating and robbing me, she ran off, and now I can't find her! Please help me! She doesn't speak any English!"
The accent is marvelous.

maybe if they were a little nicer to Americans when they visited Paris they would not get beat up as much when they come here.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:25 AM

63 posts, read 95,650 times
I think I was just unaware about how much the daytime/nightime atmosphere is able to change radically in big US cities. For the defense of Frenchy, he could well have some experience as his homebase is one of the unsafest area in France. So I will take home a little bit of both opinions.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,312,555 times
Quote:
I have a friend living in Brooklyn. The police suggested to him he live elsewhere. Sounded a bit biased

Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,987,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I have a friend living in Brooklyn. The police suggested to him he live elsewhere. Sounded a bit biased
Depends on where in Brooklyn--- it is a huge place with both million dollar apartments and slums. How did he get involved with the police--- we would need to know more to know if it was good advice--- police don't usually go around telling to tell people to live somewhere else unless there is a reason... maybe your friend is a drug dealer.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,312,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Depends on where in Brooklyn--- it is a huge place with both million dollar apartments and slums. How did he get involved with the police--- we would need to know more to know if it was good advice--- police don't usually go around telling to tell people to live somewhere else unless there is a reason... maybe your friend is a drug dealer.
It was Sunset Park. Can't remember the reason, might have been sitting outside and the police where asking around about a crime incident.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:48 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,611,987 times
I wonder if it was about how you were acting when the cop came by? Visibly drunk, loud, waving phones around, etc.? Montrose Ave. is really not the worst place despite all the projects around there.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:34 PM

63 posts, read 95,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I wonder if it was about how you were acting when the cop came by? Visibly drunk, loud, waving phones around, etc.? Montrose Ave. is really not the worst place despite all the projects around there.
We were just sitting on the pedestrians and chatting. Not drunk at all. It was a nice and quiet septembre night. The cops forced us to go back inside. I must say, this freaked me a little bit out and I had to think (or drink ) twice before returning back home through the night by feet.

What is the next most bad section in the area??

Old 01-11-2014, 01:45 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,611,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barjavel View Post
We were just sitting on the pedestrians and chatting. Not drunk at all. It was a nice and quiet septembre night. The cops forced us to go back inside. I must say, this freaked me a little bit out and I had to think (or drink ) twice before returning back home through the night by feet.

What is the next most bad section in the area??
No idea then. Maybe the cops were just on a power trip? Montrose Ave is so short, I don't think it has distinct sections. When I lived around there for a little while I always thought the stretch next to the Sternberg complex (big residential towers) was a little spooky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City