Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,849,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If we changed the 14th Amendment, anchor babies would be a thing of the past. Most civilized countries already deny citizenship to the children of non-citizen parents.
Not true. Most countries give citizenship to those born there.

Another reason why the US won't change the 14th amendment is it would create a permanent underclass of people who would still be here working but wouldn't be eligible for the rights of citizenship.

But your real issue with "anchor" babies is that changing demographics via immigration has made the country a lot less conservative, and there really isn't a conservative utopia to hide anymore. This is unlike the 1970s or 80s when white conservatives could leave NYC and go to the suburbs and the South. By today the suburbs and the South have changed demographically as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:41 PM

18,890 posts, read 13,776,530 times
Lol. Yes, as always it is me hating the brownies. You race mongers are a sad lot.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,891,215 times
Quote:
Lol. Yes, as always it is me hating the brownies. You race mongers are a sad lot.
Why is it race mongering.
I believe there is a great deal of legitimate ignorance here.
It's the stridency, the pose of disembodied authority, that I have difficulty understanding.

And FYI - none of the European countries except Romania (I think ?) automatically award citizenship to the children of aliens. Ireland just voted this out not so long ago.

Did we mean Pakistan as a way of backing up that "most countries" ? Or what ?

Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM

5,028 posts, read 4,907,277 times
Richest 85 own as much as poorest 50%

another milestone set in human history....

Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM

5,028 posts, read 4,907,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not true. Most countries give citizenship to those born there.

Another reason why the US won't change the 14th amendment is it would create a permanent underclass of people who would still be here working but wouldn't be eligible for the rights of citizenship.

But your real issue with "anchor" babies is that changing demographics via immigration has made the country a lot less conservative, and there really isn't a conservative utopia to hide anymore. This is unlike the 1970s or 80s when white conservatives could leave NYC and go to the suburbs and the South. By today the suburbs and the South have changed demographically as well.

when anchor babies are used to abuse the system, it is an abuse and should be eliminated.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:55 PM

18,890 posts, read 13,776,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Why is it race mongering.
I believe there is a great deal of legitimate ignorance here.
It's the stridency, the pose of disembodied authority, that I have difficulty understanding.

And FYI - none of the European countries except Romania (I think ?) automatically award citizenship to the children of aliens. Ireland just voted this out not so long ago.

Did we mean Pakistan as a way of backing up that "most countries" ? Or what ?
I am confused as to whether you are saying I am wrong or he is. It is race mongering because of NYwriter's response to me, plain and simple. And as you said, most 1st world countries do not award citizenship by birth to the children of illegals.

I am not even against illegals per se. They should be taxed so that their earnings are not merely a drain on the system, there should be limits on the amount of money they can "send home" so that Mexico will have to find another industry to base its economy on, and illegal births should be just that, illegal, until and unless they go through the proper citizenship path. Until we have disincentives to migration, we'll continue to experience high numbers of illegal immigrants.

I couldn't careless whether I was the last whitey on the planet as long as everyone around me was working hard and paying their fair share. Until then, I'm not concerned with race mongerers calling me racist any time I open my mouth. White people in this city are used to that by now.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I am confused as to whether you are saying I am wrong or he is. It is race mongering because of NYwriter's response to me, plain and simple. And as you said, most 1st world countries do not award citizenship by birth to the children of illegals.
I did not think you were wrong.
I don't think race mongering is the only problem there - that's what I meant. It's part of a broader thing.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:

I couldn't careless whether I was the last whitey on the planet as long as everyone around me was working hard and paying their fair share. Until then, I'm not concerned with race mongerers calling me racist any time I open my mouth. White people in this city are used to that by now.
You would never make it in Harlem, especially at a so-called "community meeting."
Even if you were black - "You think you white ...?"
If you criticize anything about Harlem, suddenly you are "called out" to deliver a 426-page speech, actually, preferably BEFORE you speak about a given problem, detailing how the problem about to be discussed is really much, MUCH more prevalent in non-black areas, in fact people learned this from white people ! and so on. It is this odd and counterproductive denial kind of thing and in the process, little gets discussed and less resolved.
In the end, many people will be removed around here, direct result of this.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:15 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,326,169 times
That is a common issue in my community board also (CB#1 in the Southern Bronx). If you don't look and sound like you are "from" the neighborhood, your opinions are irrelevant, dismissed, and outright racial accusations are made. If you deviate from the "least common denominator" of intelligence, logic, or conclusions, you are viewed as a pariah or with some sort of ulterior motive or agenda to takeover the nabe or otherwise inflict some sort of harm. And by harm I mean allegedly inconveniencing residents or somehow sneakily attempting to usurp power or stop the "gravy" train of handouts.

It's extremely unproductive and designed so purposely by the board/chairman.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That is a common issue in my community board also (CB#1 in the Southern Bronx). If you don't look and sound like you are "from" the neighborhood, your opinions are irrelevant, dismissed, and outright racial accusations are made. If you deviate from the "least common denominator" of intelligence, logic, or conclusions, you are viewed as a pariah or with some sort of ulterior motive or agenda to takeover the nabe or otherwise inflict some sort of harm. And by harm I mean allegedly inconveniencing residents or somehow sneakily attempting to usurp power or stop the "gravy" train of handouts.

It's extremely unproductive and designed so purposely by the board/chairman.
Of course ! that was my point.
It is difficult here because there is so much at stake and too many people do not realize this.
Lots of shooting selves in the proverbial foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City