Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:08 PM

343 posts, read 1,092,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
When I lived in Sheepshead Bay I saw Russians using EBT cards as well. One women in particular stood out as she was ahead of me in line and I saw her pay with a EBT card and she had an expensive fur coat on. I happened to see her enter a late model Lexus in the parking lot.
i'm so confused as to how these foreigners come here and abuse our economy like they do, when they're straight off the boat & cant even speak English upon arrival! LOL it blows my mind like who is teaching them this?? is there a class called How to Beat the American System for Immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You don't think the supermarkets and produce organizations wont have anything to say about this? what about the farmers' markets that Bloomberg encouraged?
The supermarkets and food organizations did ABSOLUTELY nothing when FOOD STAMPS were CUT in NOV for all food stamp clients in the NATION.

Single people before the cut got $200 a month. It was cut down to $189. And the supermarket lobby did nothing.

So they likely won't do anything about the additional 9 billion cut in THIS FARM BILL, which will pass before the month is over.

And no one has yet to do anything about the 1.3 million people who lost their UNEMPLOYMENT.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:13 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it..........

All social services needs on EVERYONE is being cut, INCLUDING programs that help the elderly (like senior citizens).

So maybe no one will get anything, and we'll end up in the days where old people have go to in the garbage and where people freeze to death. Will that make you happy?

Most immigrants work. Government benefits these days are essentially NON EXISTENT. What sane person these days would come to the US to get on the very meager benefits? Food stamps was cut in Nov. from $200 a person to $189 a single person. Who lives off $189 worth a food a month? I certainly don't. I probably eat about $400 in food a month.

Now you are making the mistake of enforcing your high living standard on other poor souls who ucould get by on $2/day or less elsewhere in the world. Not everyone has to eat away $400 worth of food if that is beyond his/her means. $200 is what is available to feed a family of 5 for one month in Cuba.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:14 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
i'm so confused as to how these foreigners come here and abuse our economy like they do, when they're straight off the boat & cant even speak English upon arrival! LOL it blows my mind like who is teaching them this?? is there a class called How to Beat the American System for Immigrants?

That is a very good question. I have no direct knowledge but I tend to believe that this probably does exist.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:17 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
Just like a lot of immigration attorneys who cater to illegal immigrants and represent them to obtain naturalization using falsified documents. It is a profitable business.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I get a small SNAP allowance as I haven't been able to find full-time work. I buy meat, fruit, veggies and canned and frozen goods to complete our meals. I live with my elderly parents. I have been working, with some short-term exceptions, since I was 17. I am now 50. I've paid taxes all my life into these programs. So have my parents. So has my brother.

I need to look for work constantly, so I need internet access. I also to be reachable in case something happens to my parents as they are not doing well and I help care for them. I have a Samsung Galaxy 3. My parents paid for it for my birthday a little over a year ago. Deal with it.
If you're truly needy then I have no problems with you getting food stamps. In fact, I'm happy to know that my tax dollars are helping to feed someone in need.

I understand you needing Internet access. Most people looking for a job do.
What you don't need is 'mobile Internet access'. If you need to search for a job or respond to an email you can always do it at a public library or at home.

Are your parents paying for the data plan on SGS3 too?

If I was ever on food stamps or any other type of welfare for that matter, I would cut off any expenses that are non-essential for my subsistence.
Having a top-notch phone and a monthly bill for mobile Internet access are luxuries people on welfare shouldn't be able to afford.
And if i got a Samsung galaxy 3 as gift, I would sell it, get myself the cheapest flip phone available and bank the rest.

But like I said it is what it is.

Last edited by likeminas; 01-13-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 01:41 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Just like a lot of immigration attorneys who cater to illegal immigrants and represent them to obtain naturalization using falsified documents. It is a profitable business.
Virtually impossible for an illegal immigrant to get naturalization using a falsified document. And under what basis? Family? Or work category via a greenacrd (no easy task)
Other than that you have asylum and subsequent greencard and then subsequent naturalization is very hard to get. You're talking out you a##. The vast majority of illegals stay illegal. And immigration attorneys generally leverage their profitable H1-B and other legal immigration work to balance the generally unprofitable other cases. Naturalization for illegals? How do they get past biometric scanning requirement and prrof of legal entry (they forge INS documents?). Uh huh. The only people making money "obtaining" greencards for illegal immigrants are community scamsters who take the money and then run - because there is no such path. As for forged naturalization - no such thing.

Most immigrants come here and work their butts off. As has been shown time and time again by actual empirical studies, not just internet ravings, they have a net positive effect on the economy, not negative, and are highly represented in the entrepreneurial ranks also.

There are millions of US-born citizen intergenerational welfare-moochers who take but do not give - that's far more of a drag on the economy. The US should pay other countries to take them.

Last edited by bg7; 01-13-2014 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-13-2014, 01:51 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Based on a recent trip to a grocery store, sales of king crab legs will be declining. Yes, that is what the food stamp person standing in front of me purchased.
Perhaps he's on a diet and used his entire month's allowance on one good meal.
Perhaps he is planning a suicide after the meal.

How much were the King Crab legs?

Old 01-13-2014, 01:59 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
If you're truly needy then I have no problems with you getting food stamps. In fact, I'm happy to know that my tax dollars are helping to feed someone in need.

I understand you needing Internet access. Most people looking for a job do.
What you don't need is 'mobile Internet access'. If you need to search for a job or respond to an email you can always do it at a public library or at home.

Are your parents paying for the data plan on SGS3 too?

If I was ever on food stamps or any other type of welfare for that matter, I would cut off any expenses that are non-essential for my subsistence.
Having a top-notch phone and a monthly bill for mobile Internet access are luxuries people on welfare shouldn't be able to afford.
And if i got a Samsung galaxy 3 as gift, I would sell it, get myself the cheapest flip phone available and bank the rest.

But like I said it is what it is.
Jobs are hard to come by...the way these phones are nowadays you can apply to jobs right on your phone. If you're out in the street and you get notified by email with alerts like how monster.com does, I can see mobile Internet access as an advantage for somebody looking for a job.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
And it bears repeating: Every penny that the government spends on Food Stamps goes to WHOM?
Who gets the cash? Who gets richer?

Who gets to buy a nice car, a nice house, and send all their kids to nice private schools with the money the government disperses in the Food Stamp program.

Who gets to bundle the stamps together into a huge pile, send it to the government and collect CASH?
(Or in the modern world who gets the amount in his bank account raised by a direct deposit from the government?)

Follow the MONEY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City