Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 03:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

You better off staying where you are and get your diploma and some experience before coming down. Most folks who have big dreams of coming to NYC do something big end up waiting tables and looking up billboards for cheap roommates wanted signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 06:11 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
if you must come to nyc NOW and cant wait then i suggest all of you dont expect to live in the best type of area. Have enough money to pay 1yr upfront since technically youre not employed and it would be harder to get an apt with no employment. The one way around this is by paying 1yr upfront, during that time figure out if its school/work you want to do here.

After a yr you should have a better understanding of what the city is like and if you even want to stay. You dont need to have thingd like cafes/movies outside your door especially when everything is only a few stops away via subway.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 PM

18 posts, read 14,301 times
My current plan i have in mind is go to the local community college to take either marketing management or business administration. After two years there ill transfer hopefully to the isenburg school of management at the university of Massachusetts amherst and take marketing. Does this sound like a solid plan or should i change something around?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:22 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Stay.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:56 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
What is business admin? What do you learn? Seriously, what management roles do you think you will be suited for after taking two years of classes at your local community college? Business admin or management majors wind up supervising hourly employees at a retail store or grocery store. Starting salary of $90k? Um no.

Accounting or finance are your best bets in the 'business world.' Marketing if numbers scare you, but pay typically starts very low.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 PM

Business administration. And yea i didnt mean to say starting salary was 90k. And after two years at the local community college id transfer to the four year college and finishing up there. I was thinkimg management at first and saw that marketing could potentially pay high if you pregress through the job. Also why would finance and accounting be my best bet?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 PM

And what do you mean marketing if numbers scare me?

Old 01-14-2014, 01:59 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Business degrees aren't really worth much unless you have experience to back it up. You'd be much better off getting practical experience while still in school, even if it's a job that's less than ideal. Stay where you're at. I know these are tough words to hear and you'd love to run off and join us tomorrow. The truth is you'd most likely end up waiting tables or pushing paper and it would be the same boring drudgery, except with a more expensive and prettier backdrop. NYC isn't going to disappear overnight. Focus on your education, not what your friends are doing. You will know when the time is right. It isn't now.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:45 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
Degrees with business are generic and not worth a whole lot in my opinion. You need a concentration and focus on the field you want to work in. If you want a high probability of a job right out of school with good pay in business/finance/accounting world.

Consider CPA program. CPA is a hard program and it is 5 year degree for all states (except 2) just to be able to sit for the exam. Also pass rate on CPA is pretty tough. Common baseline measurement you will hear and that is actually true is that CPA pass rate is much lower than Bar pass rate. Please note though Bar exam's pass rate I think is 60+ percent so...yeah lot of exams are going to have lower pass rate than Bar. That said, firms will hire you even if you don't have CPA yet. But they do require you to pass them within a certain amount of time.

You can also take the Finance angle but you will need to put in lot of work for networking and internship. You'll need to do the same for Accounting as well but it is more especially important for Finance sector.

Bottom-line is that you will require internship and if you are nearby in our Northeast region. Finance, Marketing, and Accounting from business school have great opportunities in NYC, CT area. So does engineering. But yeah definitely think about what you want to focus on. I do advise against graduating with just Business Administration degree if you don't plan on having a concentration or go after the certification route.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:12 AM

Well Business Administration is just for the two year community college then id transfer to a 4 year school where id go to the management school they have their and take Marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City