Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:41 AM

18 posts, read 14,281 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone im sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread but i had a few things i wanted to know. So as of lately ive been really wanting to move to NYC. I come from a small city in Massachusetts and im just sick of it its way too small theres nothing to ever do i want a change, but im not alone. Me and some of my friends all want to move to NYC. Its a minimum of 4 of us and a maximum of 6. We are all working but they arent the best of jobs sadly. Within now and when we plan on leaving we each will have 20,000-23,000. We want to live in a nice neighborhood with as little crime as possible. We arent looking for a huge fancy place but somthing nice. Somthing with stores around diners somewhere we can catch movies as well maybe? Somewhere close to the city maybe so getting there wouldnt be a problem and a place we could just have fun. I know NYC is very expensive but is there a place thats possibly like this? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

EDIT: Wanted to add also that the money we make is just to hold us off untill we get new jobs in NYC. Just wanna know if this is even possible to do. If so what areas should i look at?

Edit: Sorry ive been looking up alot tonight about it and ive been thinking that staying where i am and going to school to get a good paying job would be a WAYYY better idea. What do you think of business administration? If i stuidied in that field would i be able to find a good paying job in NYC. Alot of jobs that open around for a major like that seem to range from 60,000-90,000 a year.

Last edited by jam3s4343; 01-13-2014 at 01:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 AM

43,608 posts, read 44,331,722 times
What do you think your monthly rent budget will be?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,991,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3s4343 View Post
Hello everyone im sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread but i had a few things i wanted to know. So as of lately ive been really wanting to move to NYC. I come from a small city in Massachusetts and im just sick of it its way too small theres nothing to ever do i want a change, but im not alone. Me and some of my friends all want to move to NYC. Its a minimum of 4 of us and a maximum of 6. We are all working but they arent the best of jobs sadly. Within now and when we plan on leaving we each will have 20,000-23,000. We want to live in a nice neighborhood with as little crime as possible. We arent looking for a huge fancy place but somthing nice. Somthing with stores around diners somewhere we can catch movies as well maybe? Somewhere close to the city maybe so getting there wouldnt be a problem and a place we could just have fun. I know NYC is very expensive but is there a place thats possibly like this? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

EDIT: Wanted to add also that the money we make is just to hold us off untill we get new jobs in NYC. Just wanna know if this is even possible to do. If so what areas should i look at?

Edit: Sorry ive been looking up alot tonight about it and ive been thinking that staying where i am and going to school to get a good paying job would be a WAYYY better idea. What do you think of business administration? If i stuidied in that field would i be able to find a good paying job in NYC. Alot of jobs that open around for a major like that seem to range from 60,000-90,000 a year.

Please don't tell people you are from Massachusetts--- I have worked years down here to convince people that we are all literate and educated and here you go in one post and blow all of that away.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 AM

Thats just the thing im not sure about my budget and if each of us making that amount is even possible to live there. Shouldnt we be making more like 40k-50k?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,023 times
I think you should stay where you are and get a degree first. Afterward, you'll be in a better position to make this and other types of major decisions.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:00 PM

Ok is my idea of business administration a good idea. Or is there somthing i should study in that id be able to get a good job in nyv when i graduate.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:26 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,991,331 times
Quote:
Ok is my idea of business administration a good idea. Or is there somthing i should study in that id be able to get a good job in nyv when i graduate.

It depends on where it is from---- a bachelor's in business administration from just any school is really not worth much any more.. to have a degree mean anything it would have to be a master's degree from a big name place. And your projection of income based on a BA degree just coming out of school is much much too high.

where are you going to school now ?

Old 01-13-2014, 01:10 PM

Not there yet. But im most likely going to the local community college seeing as i didnt do to well in high school my plan was go there and study in business adm. The overview said after 2 years id be ready for entry level manager jobs and the such. But after i read what you said about the masters i might need to transfer to a university to.furtger my education in business.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:45 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,023 times
Quote:
Not there yet. But im most likely going to the local community college seeing as i didnt do to well in high school my plan was go there and study in business adm. The overview said after 2 years id be ready for entry level manager jobs and the such. But after i read what you said about the masters i might need to transfer to a university to.furtger my education in business.
I think its a good idea to go to your community college to keep costs low for now. Start considering a more specific field of study if, for example, you'd like to work in finance. However, you might not have a clear idea of what that would be just yet. What jobs do you see people working at that you are interested in? Start there and find out what they did to reach their goal.

You should consult with a college advisor and get started working on your general requirements first. You can then transfer to a four year university--but do what you can afford or can pay off realistically in the field you choose. A name brand degree is great, but not worth getting into a lot of debt over in my opinion.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:02 PM

Do you think a business managment degree would be better. The three im thinking of are business administration, business managment or accounting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City