Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 11:19 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,968,682 times

Advertisements

I know there are quite a few threads regarding specific apartment lotteries and people experience in the application process, but generally speaking the income guidlines, do they include overtime? My yearly salary falls into the guidlines for a few different complexes. I do however make overtime here and there that would put me over the max income. In all the literature I can find it mentions tips, investment income etc but nothing about overtime. Seeing as it is not garunteed income, do they not factor that in during applicant consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM

343 posts, read 1,092,500 times
i think the best answer to this question, is that each experience is situation-specific, meaning it depends on your circumstances at the time you are interviewed. it depends on what you do for a living.. depends on different things. If you get to the interview and have a plausible reason you made too much or why your income changed, they may accept it - but they may not. The most you can do is fill out the initial application in hopes of getting an interview. you can honestly put anything you want on the initial application because thats just to get you an interview. once they call you for an interview, they will search all through your life to verify everything they need to verify.

i came here searching for answers to all types of questions i had about the process. and after talking to people here as well as talking to people i know personally who have at least made it to the interview stage, i've concluded all you can do is find out for yourself lol. if you make the right amount that they're asking for, before the overtime, then put that, and when/if you are scheduled for an interview, state your case. if you make more than they're asking for including overtime, it may not be wise to put that on the initial application as they will reject you automatically if you are over or under the limits.

hope this helps good luck

Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
i think the best answer to this question, is that each experience is situation-specific, meaning it depends on your circumstances at the time you are interviewed. it depends on what you do for a living.. depends on different things. If you get to the interview and have a plausible reason you made too much or why your income changed, they may accept it - but they may not. The most you can do is fill out the initial application in hopes of getting an interview. you can honestly put anything you want on the initial application because thats just to get you an interview. once they call you for an interview, they will search all through your life to verify everything they need to verify.

i came here searching for answers to all types of questions i had about the process. and after talking to people here as well as talking to people i know personally who have at least made it to the interview stage, i've concluded all you can do is find out for yourself lol. if you make the right amount that they're asking for, before the overtime, then put that, and when/if you are scheduled for an interview, state your case. if you make more than they're asking for including overtime, it may not be wise to put that on the initial application as they will reject you automatically if you are over or under the limits.

hope this helps good luck
Thanks for the response!
On the application I just put my yearly salary, plus the bank account info they requested.
I guess it's time to just play it by ear and keep my fingers crossed.
I know these things are long shots with only a handfull of units and who knows how many applicants, but two co workers of mine actually won and now live in beautiful luxury buildings in manhattan with modest rents.
I've always wanted to live in the city, but could never dream about paying the market rates, and I meet the guidlines so why not give it a shot, gotta be in it to win it lol

Old 01-14-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Thanks for the response!
On the application I just put my yearly salary, plus the bank account info they requested.
I guess it's time to just play it by ear and keep my fingers crossed.
I know these things are long shots with only a handfull of units and who knows how many applicants, but two co workers of mine actually won and now live in beautiful luxury buildings in manhattan with modest rents.
I've always wanted to live in the city, but could never dream about paying the market rates, and I meet the guidlines so why not give it a shot, gotta be in it to win it lol
yes i feel the same way. i cant afford to pay market rate rent, in a luxury building or otherwise lol smh. i dont know anyone who actually won, i just know people who have been contacted for interviews, but they either turned them down (unbelievable) or didn't make it past the interview for whatever reason.

but yes you have to be in it to win it lol so i hope you hear back from them! which one(s) did you apply to?

Old 01-14-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
yes i feel the same way. i cant afford to pay market rate rent, in a luxury building or otherwise lol smh. i dont know anyone who actually won, i just know people who have been contacted for interviews, but they either turned them down (unbelievable) or didn't make it past the interview for whatever reason.

but yes you have to be in it to win it lol so i hope you hear back from them! which one(s) did you apply to?
I applied to the alphabet plaza lottery. After doing some further research I think i may be just over the income limit by less than 500 bucks when interview time comes around if I even get an interview. Very disheartening. I Currently land right in the middle of the income range, however I am due for a periodic raise on march the 16th, filing ends feb 18th for the lottery and it says interviews are 2-10 months after that meaning I will be making 36,610 come interview time when the max is ~36,150. I currently make 33,700. They should go by your income when you apply!!! lol Oh well, wish full thinking. Guess im stuck on Staten island

Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM

lol yes unfortunately they go by your circumstances when you are called for an interview.. the process is quite annoying. but, you never know what will happen until you go on that interview. all you can do is be prepared to explain your situation for that time. maybe opt out of the raise if you can lol

Old 01-14-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
lol yes unfortunately they go by your circumstances when you are called for an interview.. the process is quite annoying. but, you never know what will happen until you go on that interview. all you can do is be prepared to explain your situation for that time. maybe opt out of the raise if you can lol
yea its not up to me lol Good luck to you as well!

Old 01-14-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
yea its not up to me lol Good luck to you as well!
lol thanks

Old 01-14-2014, 01:53 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
Quote:
I applied to the alphabet plaza lottery. After doing some further research I think i may be just over the income limit by less than 500 bucks when interview time comes around if I even get an interview. Very disheartening. I Currently land right in the middle of the income range, however I am due for a periodic raise on march the 16th, filing ends feb 18th for the lottery and it says interviews are 2-10 months after that meaning I will be making 36,610 come interview time when the max is ~36,150. I currently make 33,700. They should go by your income when you apply!!! lol Oh well, wish full thinking. Guess im stuck on Staten island
When your work tells you about your raise, negotiate with them so that you only make 36,150! I'm sure they wouldn't mind!

Old 01-14-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
When your work tells you about your raise, negotiate with them so that you only make 36,150! I'm sure they wouldn't mind!
now here's a good idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City