Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:51 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,300,868 times

Advertisements

Brooklyn heights probably has downtown brooklyn wrapped up into its figures, so makes sense to me that it makes it high up on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 08:24 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,037,496 times
Simply put. The most unsafe neighborhood is the neighborhood in which your chance of becoming a crime victim is the highest. This is definitely not Midtown. The vast amount of people passing through it on any given day make your chances of becoming a victim very small. You get lost in the sea of humans. That is why it's grand larceny totals are so high. But the probability of you falling victim is tiny. C'mon, we don't really believe Brooklyn Heights is way more dangerous than East NY do we? This is all a ploy between Sobroguy, who has real estate interest in his dangerous south Bronx neighborhood, Mott Haven, and his long time goon Seventhfloor, whose probably getting a cut of the profits, into deceiving people that the south Bronx is a safe place worth looking into.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:24 AM

33,932 posts, read 47,205,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Simply put. The most unsafe neighborhood is the neighborhood in which your chance of becoming a crime victim is the highest. This is definitely not Midtown. The vast amount of people passing through it on any given day make your chances of becoming a victim very small. You get lost in the sea of humans. That is why it's grand larceny totals are so high. But the probability of you falling victim is tiny. C'mon, we don't really believe Brooklyn Heights is way more dangerous than East NY do we? This is all a ploy between Sobroguy, who has real estate interest in his dangerous south Bronx neighborhood, Mott Haven, and his long time goon Seventhfloor, whose probably getting a cut of the profits, into deceiving people that the south Bronx is a safe place worth looking into.
You still don't get it. It's not about whats more dangerous. The report covers all types of crime. There are crimes committed that don't necessarily put a person in danger. For example property crime. The article itself should have used better terminology. Instead of saying what neighborhood is safest, it should have said neighborhood most or least likely to be a victim of crime.

Supermario, the only crimes you care about is who gets shot and who gets stabbed, and who's a trinitario. I get that. Go on thehoodup.com and get your daily fill if need be.

Like the report is actually going to deter somebody from living in Midtown...lol. Any educated individual understands the point the report was trying to convey.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 01-23-2014 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 12:58 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,363,986 times
I didn't even mention the Southern Bronx as my examples..I mentioned Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Midtown/Downtown, West Village, and Washington Heights...none of which are in the Bronx! And the only Bronx nabe I mentioned was Morris Heights which is the central Bronx! And now 7th is my longtime goon getting a cut of imaginary profits?

Keep in mind SuperWario is just a teenager, so don't expect any thought or comments outside of that age bracket.

7th you were spot on..it has nothing to do with violent crime..just overall crime. Some people just don't/won't get it.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:25 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,105,864 times
This is about crimes committed, which means there may not even be a true victim involved. Areas with a high concentration of nightlife are prone to stats being skewed in this way. A person shows up to a bar with a fake ID and the cops are informed and make an arrest? That's a crime but not one many people feel threatened by. Dude gets drunk and is walking home at 4am and has to pee, but there are no open public restrooms? He pees on a sidewalk and might get cited for public urination. A guy is really drunk and passes out on the sidewalk, he might get arrested. Yes, some people are really turned off by these types of things. But, many of us are OK with being around it, at least enough so that we don't feel threatened or endangered by it. But, stats like these are affected nonetheless.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:27 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,236,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
fake ID ... public urination
Don't think those types of offenses are included in the stats.
However, I wonder what the stats would be, if iPhone thefts were factored out?
Unfortunately, in SoBro's world, stolen iPhones are being sold!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:10 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,634,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

Right on!! This is to be exactly what it is.

You can't compare the dangers of Brooklyn Heights to Brownsville, you just can't. It baffles me that people would believe midtown is more dangerous than South Bronx. Walk around Brownsville and the south Bronx at 3am and then walk around midtown and Brooklyn Heights at 3am and see where you feel more safe. 99.99% of people are going to feel much safer in midtown and Brownsville, the only 1% who would really think that South Bronx and East New York are safer are Sobroguy and Seventhfloor. Ridiculous.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:16 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,634,720 times
[quote=SobroGuy;33147957]I didn't even mention the Southern Bronx as my examples..I mentioned Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Midtown/Downtown, West Village, and Washington Heights...none of which are in the Bronx! And the only Bronx nabe I mentioned was Morris Heights which is the central Bronx! And now 7th is my longtime goon getting a cut of imaginary profits?

Keep in mind SuperWario is just a teenager, so don't expect any thought or comments outside of that age bracket.

7th you were spot on..it has nothing to do with violent crime..just overall crime. Some people just don't/won't get it.[/quote]

It's that OVERALL crime happens in the most ghetto areas and then some. Drug/street activity, indecent exposure, muggings, pissing on the side of the projects/street corners, everything and any petty crime that happens in midtown happens more so in abundance in the impoverished areas. You seriously can't tell me that whatever happens in midtown you won't see in Morrisiana. C'mon son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City