Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That is not wholly true.

Many private landlords want nothing to do with Section 8 even if it means steady rent payments. Just ask anyone with one of those vouchers how difficult it is to find an apartment. Often rent isn't the only obstacle. Once LLs find out you are paying with S8 they cannot get you out the front door fast enough.

Again this is why NYC and IIRC NYS had to pass laws making it illegal to discriminate against what funds a person will use to pay rent, and not post adverts stating "no S8 allowed".
Actually, there are two types of Section 8 tenants.

The ideal tenant is the single mom with a kid, who works 40 hours a week at a low wage job. She is quiet, maintains the apartment, and pays her portion of the rent every month. The landlord will bend over backwards to keep her forever.

Then there are the others. They ruin something in the apartment, and then refuse to pay the rent because the landlord won't fix it. They don't pay their share of the rent every month, are loud, throw garbage all over the place, and ruin it for the other tenants.

Unfortunately, I believe there are a lot more of the latter than the former.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
The Section 8 voucher can help supplement a tenant pay those high rents.

I also agree that those who "can" SHOULD get the hell out of here for their own sanity and financial well-being.

You forget, that "help" in which you seek is coming from another person's wallet. For once, I would like to see those that are on "assistance" and have no job, go to the homes of those that pay for that "mandatory assistance" and start cleaning their apartments, take out the garbage, do the laundry, mow the lawn, whatever just so they can see it's work that produces that "assistance" and it is not free.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
You forget, that "help" in which you seek is coming from another person's wallet. For once, I would like to see those that are on "assistance" and have no job, go to the homes of those that pay for that "mandatory assistance" and start cleaning their apartments, take out the garbage, do the laundry, mow the lawn, whatever just so they can see it's work that produces that "assistance" and it is not free.
How about this?

You are a Section 8 tenant living on Jones Street between Smith Street and Williams Street. Since you don't work and have a Section 8 voucher, you are responsible for litter removal on this Jones Street block. We'll supply the garbage bags and whatever is used to pick up garbage. If the street is not clean you lose your voucher.

I would love to see that.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:05 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
And if you forget to supply the garbage bags, or any other required items, you lose your apt/home to the Section 8 tenant.

I would love to see that too.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:52 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The city needs to construct new housing in the Mitchell-Lama model.
Amen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That is not wholly true. Many private landlords want nothing to do with Section 8 even if it means steady rent payments.
Not everyone eligible for welfare, applies for it. Many landlords don't want all the problems that S8 tenants bring.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
How out of touch are you?

NO ONE on welfare or getting any type of AID is sitting on their assets doing NOTHING.

There is MANDATORY workfare in this city for everyone on assistance.

It's been like this since 1996. Why do people keep perpetuating the LIE that welfare/SNAP recipients aren't being made to work for it? Why???

Old 01-22-2014, 12:48 PM

I dunno..they keep also perpetuating the lie that they taking their foodstamps cards, drive in their mercedes to the Whole Foods, buy lobster tails, caviar, and kool-aid with their 5 kids, and then head back to their mansion. It riles up their base (an army of simple minded poor folk who rather pull everyone down with them).

Old 01-22-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
How about this?

You are a Section 8 tenant living on Jones Street between Smith Street and Williams Street. Since you don't work and have a Section 8 voucher, you are responsible for litter removal on this Jones Street block. We'll supply the garbage bags and whatever is used to pick up garbage. If the street is not clean you lose your voucher.

I would love to see that.

I hope ALL of this happens, because when you lose your job or money and are unable to get another one of equal pay or more, then you will experience just what you wished on someone else during your grandstanding days.

It always amazes me how the 99% will have all these messed up rules for the lower tier of society as though they're trying to score points with the 1%.

The 1% considers you SCUM. There is no difference between you and the Section 8 mother in their eyes.

Take heed what you wish for.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I dunno..they keep also perpetuating the lie that they taking their foodstamps cards, drive in their mercedes to the Whole Foods, buy lobster tails, caviar, and kool-aid with their 5 kids, and then head back to their mansion. It riles up their base (an army of simple minded poor folk who rather pull everyone down with them).
You know what? If they're talking about the russians or eastern europeans, then the story "might" be true with all the stories that are coming out.

But we know they're not. They're referring to people of color. It's a lie. It's always been a lie. Reagan lied about the Welfare Queen to rally votes, the same way George Bush, Sr. used the blackest, darkest convict they could find (Willie Horton) to scare whites into voting for him.

You ever notice when they discuss welfare or people collecting foodstamps, they're never pretty women nor are they ever lightskinned. They make sure the people are dark and/or illiterate as possible to prove a point.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:02 PM

It's just the usual distraction...keep your eye on that poor black guy...the one who is gonna steal your Ipad...he is the real problem in this world and the cause of all your problems..stay focused on him while I smile at you and am busy draining your retirement accounts, stealing the equity from your home, and collapsing the global economy. Ignore all that...it's that black guy who is the problem and always has been! No more foodstamps for him...that'll teach him....now I have this great investment for you...please sign here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City