Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:49 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,995,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post
I don't understand why so many poor blacks continue to call NYC their home. Stop and Frisk is clearly still in effect, for those residing in predominately low income black areas. Why stay and be subjected to such brutality?

White NYPD Cops Rejoice after Beating up Black teens after botched Stop and Frisk ! - YouTube

I realize that some may not have the skills and/or education necessary to find gainful employment, but the working poor would probably due far better in a more rural environment that has a lower cost of living and better quality of life.

Why stay in a city that is clearly intended for the white "upper class?"
Why do poor hispanics stay here "despite all of the racism/classism"?

Why do they keep coming to this city in droves as if they're actually WANTED here?

Your question works both ways you know.

"Stop & Frisk" is alive and well for both BLACK AND HISPANICS or anyone who doesn't fit the "safe" profile.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 AM

58 posts, read 110,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
It makes perfect sense why poor people (regardless of race) would want to live in NYC. A ton of social services
When the overall cost of living is very low, and a person is earning at least minimal wage and working two jobs, you don't need social services. Poor people only need social services, when the cost of living is high, because they won't earn enough to pay the high rent and/or food expenses.

Quote:
extensive, affordable mass transit, plenty of job opportunities and it's well policed.
Mass transit has its advantages, but owning a car is also very beneficial because it gives one more access to travel extensively to different parts of town, without having to deal with crowded/unsafe public transit conditions on a regular basis.

Also, living in a well policed area may be advantageous to middle and upper income whites, but it is disadvantageous for poor/working class blacks, because they are the ones who will be stopped and targeted on a regular basis.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,406,307 times
Quote:
I don't understand why so many poor blacks continue to call NYC their home. Stop and Frisk is clearly still in effect, for those residing in predominately low income black areas. Why stay and be subjected to such brutality?

White NYPD Cops Rejoice after Beating up Black teens after botched Stop and Frisk ! - YouTube

I realize that some may not have the skills and/or education necessary to find gainful employment, but the working poor would probably due far better in a more rural environment that has a lower cost of living and better quality of life.

Why stay in a city that is clearly intended for the white "upper class?"
Because the Midwest is the same way. The Midwest is for the white "working class". It was never intended for African-Americans, but we fled the South for there during the Great Migration, and we were ushered into what were White working class neighborhoods while said working class fled to suburbia. It is just different ethnic classes of Whites doing the oppressing; Irish, Italians, Germans, Polish, etc. as opposed to what you have in New York, and less "WASP" but it is the same thing with a different face.

New York City may be hostile to African-Americans, but America overall is hostile to African-Americans. Best bet an African-American has is to live in a "Black city". But said chocolate cities have the greatest disparity between Black and White, and even more hostile conditions than New York. All of the cities where Black history was made, Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta, Detroit, etc. have poor Black people living in squalid conditions while rich and upper class Blacks act as if they don't exist. Black on Black xenophobia. So pick your poison, IMHO. There is no place for a Black person; even Africa is post-colonized and still part of the Commonwealth so what difference does it make?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:10 AM

5,032 posts, read 4,910,014 times
Hey, if the current class of poor ppl all vacate nyc, ppl like sobro will be the next falling to the bottom of the class of nyc, and will become the subject of frequent insults on the poor here. lol.
for that reason, i strongly discourage any poor exodus so my social status here will remain afloat.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why do poor hispanics stay here "despite all of the racism/classism"?

Why do they keep coming to this city in droves as if they're actually WANTED here?

Your question works both ways you know.

"Stop & Frisk" is alive and well for both BLACK AND HISPANICS or anyone who doesn't fit the "safe" profile.
As an aside, "Hispanic" means Spanish. Spanish people are Spaniards, meaning European. Most of the people who speak Spanish in NYC are from Latin American countries and the Caribbean, therefore they are classified as "Latinos."

As a black American, quite frankly I'm tired of seeing so many low income/working class black people suffer. I do understand that there are other heavily impoverished groups in NYC, but I don't think Latinos would benefit greatly by moving to rural or Southern environments, if they are undocumented and speak little to no English.

Ask yourself why poor whites do not relocate to NYC and other major cities. It's because they know they can not afford to live the same lifestyle that they can afford (on their meager incomes) in rural and Southern areas. I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Rural poverty is even worse and there is institutionalized racism in rural areas as well. So...uhh yeah I wouldn't exactly call it a solution either. A large chunk of those that have left NYC are actually lower middle to middle class.
The poster might be referring to rural areas in states like North Carolina that are majority Black. There are thriving rural Black communities, but city dwellers are not interested in that type of lifestyle, particularly African-Americans, that have an even greater sense of entitlement from having grown up in dense urban areas than Whites. At least Whites have somewhat of an open mind when it comes to the country. Some of it may be due to the lack of public assistance out there; it is what it is. Rural living is severe, back breaking hard work most Blacks haven't done in decades.

My old man grew up doing that type of hard work and can relate to it. I know little of it, so chances are I won't make that journey, even though it could put me in a better position financially and be a road towards entrepreneurship. We really need to think outside of the box, but few do. Who do you think is fighting against urban farming in Detroit; I rest my case ...

Last edited by goofy328; 01-19-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 AM

18,898 posts, read 13,788,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
There were significant federal programs to cajole Southern Protestants to the Northeastern cities during the 1950s-1980s. The ruling class was looking to break the urban ethnic whites in their cohesive urban neighborhoods while mitigating the power of labor unions who were at the peak of their power. The ruling class tool of urban ethnic cleansing was the rural southern protestant who was the stick in the "carrot and stick" method used to cleanse the northeast cities of its ethnic enclaves. These southern sharecroppers had a two-fold mission; unleash a crime wave that was the stick that moved the ethnics out of the cities along with a providing a example of sexual degeneracy for all to follow. For the ethnics the cheap federally funded mortgages in the suburbs was the carrot.

While some of the rural southern protestants do remain in the northeastern cities many have now left now that their vocation here of ethnic cleansing is largely complete. The ruling class now looks to the homosexuals as it exemplar of sexual habits and no longer uses the southern sharecropper as its archetype in social engineering media. For the southern protestant there is not much going for them in the city. Ruling class support is waning.

For the future here is my analysis from the stoop; These southern sharecroppers are very accepting of mainstream culture and have adopted abortion (along with all other mainstream cultural sewage) as an acceptable practice so they are conducting their own self genocide here in the northern cities. Look for their population to continue to fall now that they largely retreated to the sunbelt and only a minority of their babies make it past the 2nd trimester.
I need a drink.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,856,704 times
Quote:
I'm primarily referring to poor/working class black people who have low income jobs. What these people don't understand is, they wouldn't need housing subsidies or food stamps to make it in rural areas, because the housing and cost of living is so cheap. If one is working at a fast food store or at a supermarket in NYC, they would do far better residing in the South or a rural Midwestern area while working at Walmart or Mcdonalds. That is my ultimate point.

You won't usually find a lot of low income/working class whites in the major cities. Typically, they take advantage of the cheap/rural areas of the country which are primarily hidden, with little to no policing.
There are housing projects and people on SSI and Food Stamps in rural areas, INCLUDING the Rural South. According to the state of Alabama, one million people in the state are eligible for medicaid.

With that said, people should live where they want to, and they do.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
In the South and rural areas of the Midwest, if one is not engaging in criminal activities, they are usually not subjected to the same level of policing that blacks in NYC are subjected to. Yes racism exists everywhere, but I'm starting to think that places like NYC and other large cities are the worst areas to reside in , if you're poor/working class & black.
That's not entirely true. That may be what you've heard, but I've been profiled here in Virginia and I've seen it back in Ohio. Really do not care to tell you what Whites think of Blacks in the Midwest, even poor Whites, but that is another topic altogether. New York has become the poster child, because of stop and frisk, in the South and the Midwest they do not have an actual term for it, but the practice still goes on.

"Driving while Black" is essentially, stop and frisk in the rest of the country.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Because the Midwest is the same way. The Midwest is for the white "working class". It was never intended for African-Americans, but we fled the South for there during the Great Migration, and we were ushered into what were White working class neighborhoods while said working class fled to suburbia. It is just different ethnic classes of Whites doing the oppressing; Irish, Italians, Germans, Polish, etc. as opposed to what you have in New York, and less "WASP" but it is the same thing with a different face.
I agree that African Americans will face racism throughout many areas in the U.S., but the quality of life will be better for working class blacks in areas with cheaper costs of living.

Quote:
New York City may be hostile to African-Americans, but America overall is hostile to African-Americans. Best bet an African-American has is to live in a "Black city". But said chocolate cities have the greatest disparity between Black and White, and even more hostile conditions than New York. All of the cities where Black history was made, Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta, Detroit, etc. have poor Black people living in squalid conditions while rich and upper class Blacks act as if they don't exist. Black on Black xenophobia. So pick your poison, IMHO. There is no place for a Black person; even Africa is post-colonized and still part of the Commonwealth so what difference does it make?
I don't believe that it's wise for working class/low income blacks to cluster into black cities, because again, they will be subjected to high costs of living and substandard living conditions. Many will not be able to survive (like they would in rural areas) without some type of government assistance, which will only ensure that they remain stuck and further impoverished.

I think one has to weigh the lesser of two evils. I know that other places are not necessarily "utopias" for working class/low income blacks, but NYC is certainly not a good place either for this group. NYC (and other major inner cities throughout the country) act as pipelines for the prison industrial complex. I know a number of every day/working class black guys from rural areas and Southern towns who do not have any police records. This is almost unheard of throughout NYC, if you are poor and black, because prison is viewed as a "rite of passage" in those areas. Many (non criminal) black male youth are sentenced for possessing very small amounts of marijuana or arguing with the police while being unlawfully stopped and searched. Once they get a criminal record, they are essentially locked out of being able to qualify for student loans, and/or basic jobs.

So again, one has to weigh their options. If you are poor/working class and black, it will be hard to minimize contact with the police, because the police are situated throughout those areas, in search of criminals. Although many people who reside in these areas are not criminals, they will be targeted and searched, because the police need to reach their quotas and they certainly won't be going to middle or upper income areas heavily populated by whites, to reach their job performance targets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City