Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 03:17 PM

320 posts, read 578,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It seems like the only NYC blacks you come across are broke, uneducated losers.

You need to get out of your bubble. Many of us speak the King's english quite well and are college educated. Nobody wants to move to the south or "rural america". For what??

NYC blacks will not adapt well to "rural" america, unless we're looking to hide out from the world. The only positive to living in these places is that you're allowed to own a gun. Multiple weapons, if you want.
College educated Northern blacks are in rural towns in the South too. Plenty of rural HBCU campuses.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:37 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
College educated Northern blacks are in rural towns in the South too. Plenty of rural HBCU campuses.
You are responding to a person who variously claims to be "black" and then "not black," depending on the requirements of a particular opportunity for drama.

And your point is correct.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:42 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I know your post isn't directed at me but i'm gonna take the dive and say that I do truly believe that poor American citizens of any race are "idiots". Of course excluding the disabled, elderly and children.

There is no reason to be poor in America. Yes, I understand that minorities generally do have it somewhat harder in America but you should AT LEAST be "working class" and be able to support yourself and hold your own.

At least finish BASIC education, even if it's a GED. Regardless of what environment your from, you should know that a HS Diploma or equivalent is required for even the most basic jobs. AT LEAST learn a trade or go to Community College (it's free for low-income people). INVEST IN YOURSELF for goodness sake!!
The ideal that you have and the nature of America's capitalist system are completely opposite of each other. Even if anyone who isn't disabled, elderly or underage went to school and get a diploma, somebody is going to have to work those low-income wages and guess what, they're not going to hire someone who is disable, elderly, or underage. Now, I don't disagree with going to school and getting a diploma or degree to better oneself, in fact I recommend it and am doing it myself. However, the whole "just go to school and work hard" argument is losing weight as each year passes by. Those things help, but they don't guarantee anything. Plus, what about poor Americans who happen to fall on very hard times and find it difficult to climb back up? It's incredibly insulting and arrogant to call people idiots because they don't have the income as you believe they should.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
It's incredibly insulting and arrogant to call people idiots because they don't have the income as you believe they should.
Most people have very little experience or understanding outside their own little box, and this is increasingly the case.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:47 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You are responding to a person who variously claims to be "black" and then "not black," depending on the requirements of a particular opportunity for drama.

And your point is correct.
I don't like you. I really don't.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:50 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
The ideal that you have and the nature of America's capitalist system are completely opposite of each other. Even if anyone who isn't disabled, elderly or underage went to school and get a diploma, somebody is going to have to work those low-income wages and guess what, they're not going to hire someone who is disable, elderly, or underage.
That's true. I agree that all of society can't be middle class and rich in a capitalist society.

This is more so individual advice for anybody who wants to raise their social standing (or maintain it if they are already well-off)

Quote:
Now, I don't disagree with going to school and getting a diploma or degree to better oneself, in fact I recommend it and am doing it myself. However, the whole "just go to school and work hard" argument is losing weight as each year passes by. Those things help, but they don't guarantee anything.
It's not just about a degree. It's the fact that you should invest in yourself whether that be getting various respected&relevant certifications in your field (degrees, certificates, licenses) or anything else that makes you look more favorable. You really have to start from somewhere and in order to get into most jobs you have to have some kind of background in the field.

Nothing is a guarantee but there's so many things that you can do to lower your chances of devastation if things get ugly. Insulating yourself from poverty as much as you can.. making wise and lucrative choices with limited resources.

Quote:
Plus, what about poor Americans who happen to fall on very hard times and find it difficult to climb back up? It's incredibly insulting and arrogant to call people idiots because they don't have the income as you believe they should.
It's really all about CREATING a safety net and insulating yourself from poverty as much as you possibly can.

It's now about how much you make, it's about whether you can hold your own or not. If your a full-grown American adult who can't support yourself (not includ elderly, students or disabled) then your pathetic. ESPECIALLY IF YOUR A MAN.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 01-19-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
It's really all about CREATING a safety net and insulating yourself from poverty as much as you possibly can.
I am guessing that you have little experience teaching or tutoring (or whatever else) in the population one might organize under the rubric "poverty." If you did, you would find that things are more complicated than that.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:03 PM

420 posts, read 804,770 times
Quote:

Yep, cause it was blacks who:
- Burn crosses in "undesirables" lawn when they moved into their community
- Freak out and run away soon when their town becomes 5-20% anything else
- Enslaved various groups of people
- Created insane and strange real estate programs like redlining, blockbusting, steering, etc
- Have countless racist websites with huge membership counts
- Beat around the bush with racism thinking its "classy" or "refined"
- Created apartheid, jim crow laws, 3/5th's compromise and the holocaust
- Call the police on "undesirables" who are simply walking through their area
- Bombed/burned predominately black churches
- Have the most segregated towns
- Banned "others" from using&attending the same water fountains, bathrooms, cafeterias, beaches, restaurants, parades, broadway, colleges/universities, sports teams and schools

Gosh, some of the stuff that people type is just mindboggling. If this person is actually a "doc" then I officially lose all hope in this country!
Everything you posted in your response happened in the past and systematically does not exist today. Yes, slavery was horrible, as was all the Jim Crow stuff. But that was a generation ago. America is not a systematically racist country today. If it were, we would not have a black president.

And yes, blacks are more racist than whites today. Whites don't play equivalent games to "knockout" or "polar bear hunting."

Old 01-19-2014, 04:06 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
That's true. I agree that all of society can't be middle class and rich in a capitalist society.

This is more so individual advice for anybody who wants to raise their social standing (or maintain it if they are already well-off)

It's not just about a degree. It's the fact that you should invest in yourself whether that be getting various certifications (degrees, certificates, licenses). You really have to start from somewhere and in order to get into most jobs you have a much better shot if you have some kind of background in the field.

Nothing is a guarantee but there's so many things that you can do to lower your chances of devastation if things get ugly.

Yes, you have to start somewhere, but as it increasingly is becoming nowadays, you need the connections to get started and what do you say to those poor people who live in neighborhoods inhabited by other poor people?

I agree that it's important to have a safety net against poverty, but I'm also aware that life happens and when one is in the lower bottom of classes, it can have a big effect. I've witnessed this myself a few times.

Quote:
If your a full-grown American adult who can't support yourself (not includ elderly, students or disabled) then your pathetic. ESPECIALLY IF YOUR A MAN.
I think it's sad if one doesn't attempt to support themselves, but the reality is that there are many Americans who can't support themselves on their own income. I think it's more pathetic to insult people not in a position to defend themselves in order to boost your ego.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:09 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Everything you posted in your response happened in the past and systematically does not exist today.
That's incorrect.

If you think White Flight, real estate discrimination, racist websites, closet racism and high levels of white self-segregation doesn't exist today then your even more sheltered than I thought; and there's really not much left to discuss, lol

Quote:
And yes, blacks are more racist than whites today. Whites don't play equivalent games to "knockout" or "polar bear hunting."
Most blacks playing the knockout game don't even have racial motives. Plus, they are a new and rare phenomemon that actually originated in Europe. YES, blacks have played that game at much higher rates in America but apparently they tend to play it differently than whites. In the white cases of knockout, most of them were also accompanied by racial slurs; however, in the black knockout games, the same such racial thing is rare. You can look up, compare and contrast various knockout incidents in articles for confirmation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City