Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 04:26 PM

39 posts, read 81,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmworkacct2112 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of moving to Pelham Bay in the Bronx and was hoping to get some insight from people who have lived in the area or just moved there. I have visited the area by car and train and have felt very safe walking around and with the area in general. I am curious why the area is priced so relatively low - it is a quiet neighborhood, easy access to highways, local/express 6 train to Manhattan and relatively decent food options for the Bronx and is also located right next to an amazing park and waterfront.

In my mind, the only reason that makes sense for why it is undervalued is the long commute to Manhattan (45min-1hr if you are downtown) and the lack of nightlife. It is by no means a trendy or cool neighborhood but I feel it has everything one could want from NYC if they want affordability, peace and quiet, easy transportation access (and always a seat on the train), and green space.

I would like to hear people honest opinions on what they like/dislike about the neighborhood, how demographics have changed (just by reading the forums it seems it was predominantly Italian but is now moving toward a more Hispanic presence), and how they see the future of this hidden Bronx neighborhood.

Thanks guys

You just sum it up in a couple of paragraphs. Mostly old Itallians and Irish. Hispanics slowly building up in this area but I don't see them in the area as often I see the Itallians and Irish. Besides the 6 train there is also a express Manhattan bus. Express bus fare Pricey but I like to take it during the weekends when I don't want to deal with the 6 train.

Let Manhattan be your playground and place of work and Pelham Bay Park where you rest your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 04:29 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
The Hispanics have been a presence in this community for about 20 years, and they are now a dominant part of the area. As the Irish and Italians are dying off, middle class Hispanics are swarming in (not slowly building up) and investing in homes and renting apts..and it is also happening in Throggs Neck, Morris Park, and Pelham Parkway as well. Check the census changes from 2000-2010 and you will note substantial drops in the "white" population in these areas, coupled with huge increases in the Hispanic population.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:41 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,991,814 times
[quote=gmworkacct2112;33086697]Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of moving to Pelham Bay in the Bronx and was hoping to get some insight from people who have lived in the area or just moved there. I have visited the area by car and train and have felt very safe walking around and with the area in general. I am curious why the area is priced so relatively low - it is a quiet neighborhood, easy access to highways, local/express 6 train to Manhattan and relatively decent food options for the Bronx and is also located right next to an amazing park and waterfront.

In my mind, the only reason that makes sense for why it is undervalued is the long commute to Manhattan (45min-1hr if you are downtown) and the lack of nightlife. It is by no means a trendy or cool neighborhood but I feel it has everything one could want from NYC if they want affordability, peace and quiet, easy transportation access (and always a seat on the train), and green space.

I would like to hear people honest opinions on what they like/dislike about the neighborhood, how demographics have changed (just by reading the forums it seems it was predominantly Italian but is now moving toward a more Hispanic presence), and how they see the future of this hidden Bronx neighborhood.

Thanks guys[/quote

My only comment is about the train--- I start at the beginning of the 5 line-- (Eastchester-Dyer ave) and by the time it gets here there are no seats. So if that is important to you then you should reconsider.]

Old 01-20-2014, 01:20 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
[quote=bilmin;33101145]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmworkacct2112 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks guys[/quote

My only comment is about the train--- I start at the beginning of the 5 line-- (Eastchester-Dyer ave) and by the time it gets here there are no seats. So if that is important to you then you should reconsider.]
Pelham Bay is on the 6 line and it is the end/beginning of the line, so it's pretty easy to get a seat there.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:14 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
How long a ride is average on the #6 train from Pelham Bay to, say, Grand Central?

Old 01-20-2014, 05:30 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How long a ride is average on the #6 train from Pelham Bay to, say, Grand Central?
The scheduled running time on local trains is 45 minutes to GC.
On express trains,which run from 6 am to 12 noon going downtown and 12:30 to 8:30 pm going uptown,it is 40 minutes.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 AM

Thanks bluedog. Yeah, that could be a drag on a daily basis, especially since "scheduled time" is usually optimistic.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
As a female, I wouldn't go jogging at 3 AM anywhere, Pelham Bay included.

Pelham Bay is not really underrated...the people who live in the Bronx have known about it for years. It's just that it's a predominately residential neighborhood, so there really isn't that much to say. It is farther out, but not remote..there is train and bus service. The train ride is about 40-45 minutes, and if you can get a seat at PBP, then the commute isn't much of an issue at all. Seasoned commuters know how to position themselves so that they get seats most of the time. Personally, sitting down was always paramount to me so I didn't mind taking the local and getting off at Elder Avenue instead of Parkchester.

I nearly purchased in the Pelham Bay area (off Middletown Rd.) but the walk was too far from the train and I found something better elsewhere.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:

As a female, I wouldn't go jogging at 3 AM anywhere
As a human being I wouldn't go jogging at 3 AM anywhere.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:46 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,991,814 times
[quote=bluedog2;33101760]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post

Pelham Bay is on the 6 line and it is the end/beginning of the line, so it's pretty easy to get a seat there.

Right, I was thinking of Pelham Parkway on the 5--- if one gets on the first stop of any line while it does make for a longer ride seats are going to be available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City