U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:51 AM

2,532 posts, read 1,273,842 times
As soon as Allerton make the map, the area gets bad press:
Landmarked Allerton Coops rocked by rampant drug dealing - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 10:03 AM

6,449 posts, read 10,807,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
As soon as Allerton make the map, the area gets bad press:
Landmarked Allerton Coops rocked by rampant drug dealing - NY Daily News
That complex is adjacent to Parkside Houses and has long been a virtual project anyway.Most of Allerton is pretty decent ,though I always think of Allerton Avenue itself as a dividing line.South of is much nicer than North of.

That area(Allerton) has nothing to with Pelham Bay by the way,which is quite a ways East and South.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:36 AM

2,532 posts, read 1,273,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
That area(Allerton) has nothing to with Pelham Bay by the way,which is quite a ways East and South.
I know. I just thought that the two articles created an interesting juxtaposition.
http://www.4-traders.com/GOOGLE-INC-...kway-17927874/
I hope there's no bad press about your newly-on-the-map Pelham Parkway.

Last edited by bigjake54; 02-12-2014 at 10:53 AM..

Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
I know. I just thought that the two articles created an interesting juxtaposition. Hope there's no bad press about your newly on the map Pelham Parkway.
It's weird what they did with that map.The vast majority of people think of the neighborhood of Pelham Parkway as being both North and South of Pelham Parkway itself.On the map it looks like they only designated it as South of and in the Western part of the neighborhood.That's Bronxdale.

I think the designations have made things more confusing………but people are going to go on with their own definitions,no matter what google says.

The people who live in the eastern part of Allerton( East of Boston Rd/Allerton Ave,the Italian part of the neighborhood) don't think the complex in the article you linked is even in "their" Allerton. Over there is Williamsbridge and Olinville to them and South of Allerton is Pelham Parkway.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:50 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,010,438 times
Pelham Bay Pro.....
1. Very nice area; Buhre Avenue has a few shops, restaurants, Big supermarket on Westchester, beautiful park.
2. 6 Train runs well; you'll get a seat since you're at end of the line!
3. Access to the Park, Bay Plaza, City Island, Coop City

Pelham Bay Con....
1. Commute takes about 1 hour 15-20 minutes, both Subway or Express Bus
2. Parking!
3. Access to nice playing field, track, but have to cross big walking bridge at Burhe over the Bruckner to get there

Old 02-12-2014, 04:33 PM

39 posts, read 24,277 times
So I'm gathering that these are not actually co-ops? Article said the landlord threatened to raise rents over the security issue, and that it's pronounced coops like hoops. (!)
Why would they want to call it a (chicken) coop lol?

Anyway, if they're indeed rentals right next to Parkside, that would explain it. A shame, they look nice from the outside and the pre-war apartments are probably huge...

Old 02-12-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggz494 View Post
So I'm gathering that these are not actually co-ops? Article said the landlord threatened to raise rents over the security issue, and that it's pronounced coops like hoops. (!)
Why would they want to call it a (chicken) coop lol?

Anyway, if they're indeed rentals right next to Parkside, that would explain it. A shame, they look nice from the outside and the pre-war apartments are probably huge...
The place has a great history.It was built as a co op in the 1920's by a communist affiliated union..the United Garment Workers Union ,actually.The building is decorated with hammers and cycles.There was even a TV program about the rich history of this place,including their pioneering of racial integration.The co op eventually went bankrupt because of their strict policy of not allowing anyone to lose their apartment for financial reasons.So,it's not really a co op anymore.

There are a lot of co ops in The Bronx that were built in that era by unions and this was just one.Many of them are still operating but there were others that failed during the depression.Many of them that are still going do not allow mortgages of any kind on the apartments or buildings because of the way in which some of them were lost to foreclosures in the depression.

Here is a link to a brief history,including the pronunciation: Finding Utopia in the Bronx | Bronx Bohemian

Old 02-12-2014, 05:12 PM

39 posts, read 24,277 times
Great article, thanks for that. Love love love the architectural details on that building!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:21 PM

8 posts, read 2,728 times
Default Realtor?

I noticed your zip code is mid town Manhattan, and your screen name is "work account". Please don't try and deceive the good people of this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City