Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 11:47 AM

821 posts, read 1,096,445 times

Advertisements

I don't know how this can be. Several posters on here have said NYC, especially Manhattan, is the cradle or center of civilization and that everywhere else on this earth is an inferior place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 03:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,024,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
I don't know how this can be. Several posters on here have said NYC, especially Manhattan, is the cradle or center of civilization and that everywhere else on this earth is an inferior place to live.
Did anyone who said this was the cradle of civilization also say that NY is crime-free? No, of course not. Do you think the places that were historically called the cradle of civilization were crime free? (Hint: read Wikipedia article on Cradle of Civilization.)

Also, why do you think something a few posters said makes something fact? I guess you believe everything everyone says on here, and if someone in the real world has an opposing viewpoint from something you saw here, you would say, "Oh, how can this be true? A few C-D posters said something that contradicts this"

Old 06-21-2015, 07:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,134,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
It depends in their perspective. NYC is the modern day Rome, it has everything almost, except grass to walk on without stepping in poop, clean air, and privacy to name a few. Even the very best and most secure of neighborhoods have crime. As Henna is alluding to, with the best of civilization, also comes the worst it has to offer too - no diferent than in ancient Rome.

If you are on the level of Donald Trump and Michael Bloomberg, you will experience a much different city than the rest of us do.

One fact to consider - NYC has some of the strictest gun control measures found anywhere in the country. Does that mean there are no criminals wielding guns, or are there more of them simply because owning one legally has been made difficult for the poorer New Yorker? Since gun play seems to be a big issue in NYC, it would seem the laws are not helping reduce a problem, and could be even exacerbating one.

NYC is a glaring example of how what the NRA says seems to hold water - "when you take guns away from citizens, only criminals will have guns." I'm not a member of the NRA, but I dont look around this city and see that as a lie either.

I do agree with the laws - we live too close to have guns even misfiring for the average citizen - just pointing out how an action has an equal and opposite reaction.

I would suggest visiting, and seeing if this is a place you truely want to struggle to live in. Come in the heat of Summer - when Manhattan as 'a great big urinal' is in full bloom. If its positives outweigh its negatives, like the rest of us, you will adjust.

Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City