Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:47 AM

34 posts, read 43,733 times

Advertisements

I know there are about a million posts like this (I've looked through a lot of them!), but I'm hoping that I can get some better answers about what I'm looking for.

My husband may be getting a job at a company near Houston and Broadway, and we'd be relocating from Seattle. We're thinking Bushwick, Bed Stuy, or East Village would be good options, but I definitely want to hear what other people have to say.

We live in Capitol Hill in Seattle, and we lived in the Wicker Park area when we lived in Chicago (if that gives you a better sense of what type of neighborhood we like). If anyone can compare the neighborhoods above to Chicago or Seattle neighborhoods, I would be super, super grateful (I've heard that Bushwick is a lot like Ukrainian Village in Chicago, which is pretty much my favorite neighborhood of all time). Also, if you could let me know the areas of each neighborhood that are generally safer/cooler/nicer, that would be super helpful.

And I know I'm going to sound like a total jackass saying this... but we're thinking of keeping our car. One of our dogs has special needs, so we need to be able to transport him fairly easily. We're totally cool paying for parking... we're hoping to keep it at a max of $250-300 a month. I'm guessing it would be easier in Brooklyn, but I would love to hear what everyone has to say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:58 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpetersen View Post
I know there are about a million posts like this (I've looked through a lot of them!), but I'm hoping that I can get some better answers about what I'm looking for.

My husband may be getting a job at a company near Houston and Broadway, and we'd be relocating from Seattle. We're thinking Bushwick, Bed Stuy, or East Village would be good options, but I definitely want to hear what other people have to say.

We live in Capitol Hill in Seattle, and we lived in the Wicker Park area when we lived in Chicago (if that gives you a better sense of what type of neighborhood we like). If anyone can compare the neighborhoods above to Chicago or Seattle neighborhoods, I would be super, super grateful (I've heard that Bushwick is a lot like Ukrainian Village in Chicago, which is pretty much my favorite neighborhood of all time). Also, if you could let me know the areas of each neighborhood that are generally safer/cooler/nicer, that would be super helpful.

And I know I'm going to sound like a total jackass saying this... but we're thinking of keeping our car. One of our dogs has special needs, so we need to be able to transport him fairly easily. We're totally cool paying for parking... we're hoping to keep it at a max of $250-300 a month. I'm guessing it would be easier in Brooklyn, but I would love to hear what everyone has to say!

Last time I payed to park in Brooklyn Heights it was $450 it probably gone higher now since that was 2 years ago --- you are not a total jackass --- just unfamiliar with the mores of New York City. You need to tell me again are you looking to buy or rent--- your budget for those kind of things will help dictate where you live. You need not worry about a work location because even if you keep a car you will be more interested in how you get there via public transportation. All of the neighborhoods you mention are in some sort of transition with people moving in and long term residents moving out.

as far as safer I would say east village-- bushwick--- bed stuy in that order

Old 01-20-2014, 12:12 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
Most important question is whats your budget?

Old 01-20-2014, 01:32 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
I would like to know:

1. Why you think Bushwick/BedStuy/EVillage would be good options?

2. Are you buying or renting?

3. What is your budget?

4. What are you minimum requirements for an apt/condo?

Old 01-20-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would like to know:

1. Why you think Bushwick/BedStuy/EVillage would be good options?

2. Are you buying or renting?

3. What is your budget?

4. What are you minimum requirements for an apt/condo?

I think we are all asking the same thing in different ways

Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 PM

34 posts, read 43,733 times
Gah, sorry about the lack of information!

1. I'm thinking of those neighborhoods because they seem to be cool, but still relatively affordable. We really enjoy being in a neighborhood that feels legitimately feels like a neighborhood (we lived in a high rise in downtown Seattle for a short while and HATED it), and those seem like they would fit the bill fairly well. Bonus points for veggie restaurants and awesome coffee shops within the neighborhood.

2. Renting

3. Max of $2400, but seeing as I'll be going back to school, it would be nice to save a little extra money.

4. We aren't super picky when it comes to finding a place (besides allowing our two large dogs and not having carpet... neither seem to be major sticking points). Our current place is 420 square feet, and we can't go much smaller than that.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:54 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Bushwick is very cool if you are single and under 25. In my opinion, it is an ugly neighborhood featuring industrial buildings built prior to 1940, and the very modest and architecturally blah houses that were built for the people who worked in these buildings.

Bed-Stuy, ten years ago, was just about 100% African American, and known for both its high crime and incredible brownstones. It is rapidly gentrifying, and people are paying well over $1 million (and approaching $2 million) for these brownstones. It is a very large geographic area ranging from very appealing, to you wouldn't want to be caught dead there.

The East Village is very expensive. And for that very expensive rent, you might end up in the fourth floor of a tenement that was built in 1900. It is a very vibrant area with tons of restaurants and bars. And your husband can walk to work. But parking is a nightmare.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:00 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
east village

Old 01-20-2014, 04:34 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,104 times
Can you get a 1 bedroom in the EV for 2400? I'm guessing no but not sure. BTW I know you didn't list Astoria but that might be worth a look. I was there yesterday and it's a great area.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpetersen View Post
Gah, sorry about the lack of information!

1. I'm thinking of those neighborhoods because they seem to be cool, but still relatively affordable. We really enjoy being in a neighborhood that feels legitimately feels like a neighborhood (we lived in a high rise in downtown Seattle for a short while and HATED it), and those seem like they would fit the bill fairly well. Bonus points for veggie restaurants and awesome coffee shops within the neighborhood.

2. Renting

3. Max of $2400, but seeing as I'll be going back to school, it would be nice to save a little extra money.

4. We aren't super picky when it comes to finding a place (besides allowing our two large dogs and not having carpet... neither seem to be major sticking points). Our current place is 420 square feet, and we can't go much smaller than that.

You will be shocked at how difficult it is going to be with two large dogs to rent--- landlords here are crazy on that issue. Allow yourselves lots of time to find a place you very well may need it. The rest is doable. When are you moving and have you done any checking on the dog question yet in advance as you seem to think it will not be a problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City