Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,068 times

Advertisements

I registered with Workforce1 a couple of months ago. I went to different pre-screening job requirements in different locations ( I like their office in Jamaica the most ). I was able to get those interview tickets from them, and after going to job interviews that I was refereed to by Workforce1 I never heard from the employers after the interview was over. After I was done ( like not right after but few days after ) with the interview I sent a thank you email thanking that person for taking their time and interviewing me I also called to ask, but as I said I've never heard from them again.

The thing that I do not like about Workforce1 is that pre-sceenings process. Those pre-screenings are actually a waste of time for some people because I noticed that some of the people who are actually in charge of handling the tickets for those job interviews that they refer you to pick whoever they want, regardless of their qualifications.

I've been trying to find a job for quite a while now, but without any luck. I've been applying to different places online as well as in person but I just can't find anything stable.

I also have another question instead of making a thread about it I'll just ask about it here and maybe someone will give you an answer.
Is there anything that I can do after being laid off few days after being hired?
I went on a job interview to a clothing store, the manager said that they have an opening and that I can start on the spot. I came back later that day,filled out paper work ( that tax form, immigration form and something like a new employee information ). There was no contract that I signed. I worked there for few days then when I called it to ask when should I come to work again and at what time ( I wasn't given a schedule ) I was told that I am no longer is gonna be working for them because I'm not needed and that they're sincerely sorry about that.
That to me sounds a bit fishy because why would you say that you would hire me, had me fill out all the necessary paper work and then few days later tell me that I'm no longer needed? It just does not make any sense to me.

Last edited by nyc_resident; 01-20-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 03:19 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,312,179 times
Workforce, like most government programs, is a waste of time. In theory you could get a job at Home depot as a sales associate at an event organized by Workforce...but you could have saved the time and effort and simply went directly to Home depot and gotten the same result.

As for your other issue...I have no idea.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:59 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,786,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Workforce, like most government programs, is a waste of time. In theory you could get a job at Home depot as a sales associate at an event organized by Workforce...but you could have saved the time and effort and simply went directly to Home depot and gotten the same result.

As for your other issue...I have no idea.

Yes government programs like that only focus on job placement numbers not job matching. The higher number of job placements is how they get new contracts.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:32 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,870,467 times
Workforce 1 sucks

Old 02-13-2016, 11:04 PM

34 posts, read 52,024 times
Yeah, they help city workers get work!

Old 02-13-2016, 11:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,814,588 times
Workforce is really for hard to place applicants. Basically if you're on welfare and you have to show you're in a job training program Workforce is a good place for you. Anyone else can apply directly to the jobs that they are looking for.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:30 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,983,771 times
No. Workforce1 will not help you find work.

As with everything else associated with this city, they are part of the Poverty Pimp scam.

Back to work does nothing.

Welfare to work does nothing, except keep people in perpetual slavery. They will never get hired for jobs and if they do will be laid off within 3 to 6 months to make way for the never-ending new "slaves".

Companies hire poor people from these scam programs only to lay them off a few months after. They do it for the tax benefits.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_resident View Post
I registered with Workforce1 a couple of months ago. I went to different pre-screening job requirements in different locations ( I like their office in Jamaica the most ). I was able to get those interview tickets from them, and after going to job interviews that I was refereed to by Workforce1 I never heard from the employers after the interview was over. After I was done ( like not right after but few days after ) with the interview I sent a thank you email thanking that person for taking their time and interviewing me I also called to ask, but as I said I've never heard from them again.

The thing that I do not like about Workforce1 is that pre-sceenings process. Those pre-screenings are actually a waste of time for some people because I noticed that some of the people who are actually in charge of handling the tickets for those job interviews that they refer you to pick whoever they want, regardless of their qualifications.

I've been trying to find a job for quite a while now, but without any luck. I've been applying to different places online as well as in person but I just can't find anything stable.

I also have another question instead of making a thread about it I'll just ask about it here and maybe someone will give you an answer.
Is there anything that I can do after being laid off few days after being hired?
I went on a job interview to a clothing store, the manager said that they have an opening and that I can start on the spot. I came back later that day,filled out paper work ( that tax form, immigration form and something like a new employee information ). There was no contract that I signed. I worked there for few days then when I called it to ask when should I come to work again and at what time ( I wasn't given a schedule ) I was told that I am no longer is gonna be working for them because I'm not needed and that they're sincerely sorry about that.
That to me sounds a bit fishy because why would you say that you would hire me, had me fill out all the necessary paper work and then few days later tell me that I'm no longer needed? It just does not make any sense to me.
There is a tax scam benefit involved. Trust.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:04 PM

298 posts, read 269,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No. Workforce1 will not help you find work.

As with everything else associated with this city, they are part of the Poverty Pimp scam.

Back to work does nothing.

Welfare to work does nothing, except keep people in perpetual slavery. They will never get hired for jobs and if they do will be laid off within 3 to 6 months to make way for the never-ending new "slaves".

Companies hire poor people from these scam programs only to lay them off a few months after. They do it for the tax benefits.
of course. 3-6 months means you get no unemployment benefits. it's like a temp job. And it does nothing for your resume or any skills. Those are all dead end grunt jobs.

It makes sense to work off the books or some bartender/waitress jobs where you make cash. This is better than being indentured in those programs. And when you do the math of the $ you actually get; the foodstamps, rent $100-200 per month, another 100 for nonfood, it's really very little in NYC. How much is your average rent for even just a dump apartment? These city/govt agencies save a tons of $ on using the free welfare to work people whom they don't pay a dime. Then they get the tax benefits and grants so they save on that. It's a gold mine for them. The worker trapped in there gets extremely very little.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
of course. 3-6 months means you get no unemployment benefits. it's like a temp job. And it does nothing for your resume or any skills. Those are all dead end grunt jobs.

It makes sense to work off the books or some bartender/waitress jobs where you make cash. This is better than being indentured in those programs. And when you do the math of the $ you actually get; the foodstamps, rent $100-200 per month, another 100 for nonfood, it's really very little in NYC. How much is your average rent for even just a dump apartment? These city/govt agencies save a tons of $ on using the free welfare to work people whom they don't pay a dime. Then they get the tax benefits and grants so they save on that. It's a gold mine for them. The worker trapped in there gets extremely very little.
You will find many back to work people working for city agencies basically for free. The person answering your phone is probably part of the back to work program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: