Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 09:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

I've been taken the subway for over 30 years and have seen an increase in subway brawls the last 3-4 years. Majority of them involves girls. Last year I saw a pushing and argument between a white woman and a black girl. The black girl had to be restrained by her friends while the white woman was prepared to out at it.

The other times I've seen seen an mid-aged white woman cursing pushing a guy probably for being too close.

I blame overcrowding, many subway lines are always crowded during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 PM

34,089 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've been taken the subway for over 30 years and have seen an increase in subway brawls the last 3-4 years. Majority of them involves girls. Last year I saw a pushing and argument between a white woman and a black girl. The black girl had to be restrained by her friends while the white woman was prepared to out at it.

The other times I've seen seen an mid-aged white woman cursing pushing a guy probably for being too close.

I blame overcrowding, many subway lines are always crowded during rush hour.
No, I don't think there's an increase. I think it's part of riding the subway in general.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
One of the many reasons why I hate the subway.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:49 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,620 times
I love the subway. Always have. It's such a fascinating human experiment. Driving through neighborhoods is one thing. When you take the train and a certain ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, religion, socioeconomic class, etc. get on, or get off, it's an underrated experience.

But anyway, if you don't like crowded trains, stay out of Manhattan. I might recommend the Fourth Avenue "R" line. Never need to fight for a seat. Never seen a fight on that train either. It's rather tranquil. Of course, it's also the line with the highest breakdown rate, but eh. You take the good with the bad.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:54 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,879 times
Be prepared to either defend yourself or quickly move out the way when you hear someone shouting 'WorldStar' on the subway.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:07 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
I don't think there are more than usual.

I find it normally spikes when it's the summer and hot. I've seen even the most professional looking businessman snap in a 90 degree delayed train when someone steps into his personal space.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
I've actually never seen a single fight in the past 15 years. And I ride the trains an average of 10 times per week

People in NYC are good about sucking it up and dealing with the crunch. The only time I see people snap is when someone bum rushes a packed train and squeezes people in hard. Then the sparks start flying and everything people were thinking in their heads but not saying out loud all of a sudden come flooding out. Never seen it get violent though, maybe some mild pushing back

What I think is funny though is the conductor who starts yelling that "there's a train directly behind this one". I mean, no sh** sherlock, the thing is on rails of course the next one is going to be right behind it. But you have no idea WHEN or how packed it's going to be you lying SOB

Old 01-21-2014, 07:24 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
I actually think most people are too complacent on the trains, probably out of fear. Much of the behavior that goes on down there is disgusting. Instances that come to mind are eating smelly food openly, panhandling, and groping. If we all collectively took a stand I doubt the conditions would be as bad as they are. But I guess you all think it's some sort of shared cultural experience we should embrace. It's not like this in other countries. In case you thought that's just public transit for you. I will tell a person they are ghetto to their face if they eat a box of open food in front of me. If it becomes a YouTube hit, so be it.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
If we all collectively took a stand I doubt the conditions would be as bad as they are.
I think you're getting Detroit confused with NYC again. Subway conditions are better than they've ever been in in 20 years. Isolated incidents are few and far between

Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I actually think most people are too complacent on the trains, probably out of fear. Much of the behavior that goes on down there is disgusting. Instances that come to mind are eating smelly food openly, panhandling, and groping. If we all collectively took a stand I doubt the conditions would be as bad as they are. But I guess you all think it's some sort of shared cultural experience we should embrace. It's not like this in other countries. In case you thought that's just public transit for you. I will tell a person they are ghetto to their face if they eat a box of open food in front of me. If it becomes a YouTube hit, so be it.
Is that white lady you???

Fight on NYC subway - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City