Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:52 AM

343 posts, read 1,090,551 times

Advertisements

girl long distance is the wrong distance! you better take a week off and come up here with him & feel the city out. and when he moves here, do you really wanna be sharing space with 4 other dudes?? 4 dudes in 1 house is a cesspool of asininity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 10:06 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,019,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Okay, you and he are probably overstating his job. Sounds like he will be working for some chop shop making cold calls. It won't be some high flying job making millions and popping bottles at clubs with strippers. He'll likely be moving back before you get a chance to come here. And how exactly are you going to come to New York? Live with his four 'broker' buddies? You and him going to get your own place? Well, he'll probably clear about $30k his first year.
What you've described is a dying business. Maybe you've just described it wrong, and he has an advanced degree and will be working with a hedge fund. But what you've described is 1980's Wall Street that doesn't exist anymore
This ^^^

He is coming to NYC to become a retail broker? He is a broker now? He has a book of business, or he is starting out cold? Are we talking Goldman/Morgan/Citibank/UBS, or are we talking a bucket shop?
If it is the former, he will regularly be tested for drugs, and they will not put up with any crap 'like in the old days'. Trust me, I have been there, and know ALL about it. OP, if you want to PM me with the name of the firm and his position, I can update you quite specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post

PS; did you just go see the movie Wolf of Wall Street this weekend.. Is that where all these strange ideas are from

This movie was about a bucket shop out on Long Island. Even in the industry they were known as a bunch of crooks and nobody of any repute would do business with them. They made Madoff Securities, which nobody on the Street ever trusted, look like legitimate. These events also took place more than a decade ago, and were hyped up for the movie. Sure, this is a part of Wall Street, but not that part anyone of any repute would want to have anything to do with. If your significant other is going to work in a joint like this, he probably has much lower morals than you imagine, and likely you want to part ways lest you get dragged into a part of life which is quite evil.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:14 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,225,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
he will regularly be tested for drugs, and they will not put up with any crap 'like in the old days'. Trust me, I have been there, and know ALL about it.
Since you were there, back in the day, you know that it was crazy. Also, if someone was an earner, the most a coke bust did was lock him to his current employer, until he got the arrest & diversion expunged. After all, his boss was probably partying with him!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 AM

155 posts, read 258,185 times
Long distance relationships only last so long.. But why's he moving in with 4 guys? lol and a lot of people here do coke regardless what field their in

Old 01-22-2014, 10:30 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,892,239 times
Boyfriend will be probably be handing out junk mail like this guy right here.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:32 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,986,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
This ^^^

He is coming to NYC to become a retail broker? He is a broker now? He has a book of business, or he is starting out cold? Are we talking Goldman/Morgan/Citibank/UBS, or are we talking a bucket shop?
If it is the former, he will regularly be tested for drugs, and they will not put up with any crap 'like in the old days'. Trust me, I have been there, and know ALL about it. OP, if you want to PM me with the name of the firm and his position, I can update you quite specifically.

This movie was about a bucket shop out on Long Island. Even in the industry they were known as a bunch of crooks and nobody of any repute would do business with them. They made Madoff Securities, which nobody on the Street ever trusted, look like legitimate. These events also took place more than a decade ago, and were hyped up for the movie. Sure, this is a part of Wall Street, but not that part anyone of any repute would want to have anything to do with. If your significant other is going to work in a joint like this, he probably has much lower morals than you imagine, and likely you want to part ways lest you get dragged into a part of life which is quite evil.

Bucket shop or big house they are all crooks. The best thing that ever happened was when people got the ability to bypass these thieves and place buy and sell orders themselves.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM

67 posts, read 86,924 times
There is still such a thing as stock brokers? I thought E-Trade and the like made them useless.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:39 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,757,963 times
Men who have money/power spend alot of that money on High End Prostitutes/Strip Clubs/Drugs. Theres a reason why certain ladies charge certain amounts and make a living off of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City