Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times

Advertisements

I commuted from Queens to Manhattan today with zero problems. In fact, I was early to work.

It's freezing out, yes. And roads weren't perfectly clear, but it is completely possible for everyone to get around. I don't know why it was considered an emergency. We have weathered bigger storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 11:16 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I too didn't think it was that big a deal out today. I took the subway, walked down 2 long Avenues. I think the snow the last time was worse. I dressed warm and called it a day.

No big deal.

the roads here in Sunset Park Brooklyn are all clear. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Avenuse are just wet.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:22 AM

I also felt it was a lot less icy this time.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:00 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,848 times
Do all the geniuses who comment on their commute realize the difference between an adult and a child?
Are you aware of how many children, who do not live in the pits of Manhattan, Brooklyn, or the Bronx, take public buses that require them to navigate streets that are barely cleaned? Do you realize the number of cars that congregate around schools on slippery roads?

Please stop telling us how you, adults, had an easy commute. We are referring to the CHILDREN who are not chauffeured or are not privileged to live next to convenient subways and many of who walk to school.

Also, there is no longer any combining classes and watching movies. Teachers are required to be teaching actively whenever school is in session despite the number of absences. There is no such thing as an "easy" day.

The day would have proven more productive if children had been kept home and teachers had been allowed to go in later and catch up on the mounds of paperwork waiting for them.

OK, trolls, dive in.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Loss of productivity.
there are other ways to be productive than to just make the man rich every single day. you sound like a clone lol.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Do all the geniuses who comment on their commute realize the difference between an adult and a child?
Are you aware of how many children, who do not live in the pits of Manhattan, Brooklyn, or the Bronx, take public buses that require them to navigate streets that are barely cleaned? Do you realize the number of cars that congregate around schools on slippery roads?

Please stop telling us how you, adults, had an easy commute. We are referring to the CHILDREN who are not chauffeured or are not privileged to live next to convenient subways and many of who walk to school.

Also, there is no longer any combining classes and watching movies. Teachers are required to be teaching actively whenever school is in session despite the number of absences. There is no such thing as an "easy" day.

The day would have proven more productive if children had been kept home and teachers had been allowed to go in later and catch up on the mounds of paperwork waiting for them.

OK, trolls, dive in.

The children I saw commuting today, as well as all my co-workers' children, had zero issues. The yellow buses in my neighborhood all looked to be running smoothly. Several commented it was much better than the last storm. To each their own.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:48 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Are you aware of how many children ... take public buses that require them to navigate streets that are barely cleaned? ... CHILDREN who are not chauffeured or are not privileged to live next to convenient subways and many of who walk to school.
A simple & sensible suggestion for anyone worried about their child(ren)'s safety today:
If you don't want your children to go to school today, don't send them!
Has your child ever missed a day of school? Afraid the little one won't get a perfect attendance award? You can stay home with them, and perhaps share the day with your child(ren)! Wouldn't it be great, if you tried to teach the something today?
Especially, something that didn't involve whining?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:57 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Grew up on SI and well remember on days where snow was actively falling we *STILL* went to school. If things were really bad my mother like others made a decision should we stay (at home) or should we go. This was mainly because they saw no reason to go through all the bother if classes were going to be dismissed say by 12N. However if it was reasonable to assume a full day was on the cards, we went.

This morning was cold true, but other than that it wasn't bad outside. Mind you have seen children walking to school *WITH* their parents with coats open, no hat/gloves, etc.. and yesterday was no exception. Even saw one young boy coming home in his gym togs (or whatever you call those not shorts but not pants boys wear for gym today).

Guess someone sat Mr. deBalsio down after his decision to shut NYC public schools with the previous storm. Now fully schooled don't think you will see that decision again unless it is a blizzard.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:03 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,448 times
Oh get over it people. I lived in an area where a foot or more would fall overnight. They still made us get on buses and go to school. None of us died. Suck it up. If you are overly concerned about sending your child to school, then don't.

Just because they declare a state of emergency doesn't mean its an apocalypse. Just a way to channel funds towards the clean up efforts. If kids are upset about getting to school in the snow, they are going to have a rough future when you have to trudge through snow for work.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I am a product of nyc public school. As long as I can remember, its pretty rare nyc school are closed. From what I understand, it was more about the school lunches for the students. When I was in public school a long time ago, they merged 5 classes into one small classroom....had about 8-10 kids total....and we watched a movie & discusses nonsense all day.
Ya,maybe all these people who get so angry about schools staying open should take a breath and think about the tens of thousands of NY City kids whose only source of food is the meals they get in school.No school means no food for some.

No,wait,that will probably just get them more enraged, since they are obviously prone to getting enraged anyway.The idea of feeding hungry kids might be too much for them to bear.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-22-2014 at 06:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City