Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,612,196 times

Advertisements

I would bet money that person has lived in New York for less than five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 PM

929 posts, read 1,655,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
Brooklyn is anything but the cultural epicenter of NYC, Manhattan will always be the cultural epicenter of the city and the country. Brooklyn is without a doubt evolving, but by no means does it mean that it's the cultural epicenter of the city.
Manhattan has no culture of its own. On any given day, well more than half the people in Manhattan don't even live there. Manhattan is soulless, and sponges off the lifestream of the outer boroughs and the suburbs.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 PM

211 posts, read 518,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Manhattan has no culture of its own. On any given day, well more than half the people in Manhattan don't even live there. Manhattan is soulless, and sponges off the lifestream of the outer boroughs and the suburbs.
Bobby, get on the subway out of Brooklyn to Manhattan and just walk around the Theatre District, the East Village, Greenwich Village, and you'll see what culture is. I'm always in Manhattan, and I live here. If anything, Brooklyn and the other boroughs live off of Manhattan, do you think tourists would still travel to NYC if it weren't for Manhattan?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Bobby, get on the subway out of Brooklyn to Manhattan and just walk around the Theatre District, the East Village, Greenwich Village, and you'll see what culture is. I'm always in Manhattan, and I live here. If anything, Brooklyn and the other boroughs live off of Manhattan, do you think tourists would still travel to NYC if it weren't for Manhattan?
Do you realize that these great things are in Manhattan because the city government has always been manhatto-centric?

Manhattan is a leech off of everyone else. It is a succubus. We put everything into Manhattan and take very little out.

Culture? Maybe if you're a blue-blood or LGBT, the Village has culture, but not the kind of culture that has mass-appeal.

I hate Brooklyn's hipsters, but I'd rather deal with them than Manhattan snobs who buy courtside tickets to Knicks games just to be seen and don't care about sports.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:12 PM

211 posts, read 518,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Do you realize that these great things are in Manhattan because the city government has always been manhatto-centric?

Manhattan is a leech off of everyone else. It is a succubus. We put everything into Manhattan and take very little out.

Culture? Maybe if you're a blue-blood or LGBT, the Village has culture, but not the kind of culture that has mass-appeal.

I hate Brooklyn's hipsters, but I'd rather deal with them than Manhattan snobs who buy courtside tickets to Knicks games just to be seen and don't care about sports.
What are you talking about, Bobby? I hope that you do your research. We get a lot in profits every year from tourism, because of Manhattan. Brooklyn hipsters are just yuppies who try to make it somewhere else since they can't afford the real thing (Manhattan). Tell me, which tourist do you know who has wanted to visit the Bronx, Queens, or Brooklyn? Only a small fraction of them would even consider visiting the other boroughs.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:16 PM

Uh, are you kidding?

"What tourist would ever want to go to Yankee Stadium, or Coney Island, or the World's Fair, or the Bronx Zoo? Eww. Outer Boroughs."

Good for tourists. If they want the worst Little Italy in the city and the worst Chinatown in the city, they can take a bus from Queens (where their airport is) to Manhattan.

Do you know why so many important things are in Manhattan? It was designed to be that way. Nearly every single subway line in NYC goes through Manhattan. When there was a plan to connect the R-Train to Staten Island, the Manhattan-dominated city government decided it wasn't worth spending money on, so the tunnel was never finished. The worst train line, the G train, which they spend no money on, is the only train that goes from Brooklyn to Queens without having to go through Manhattan first. Talk about stupid. Brooklyn and Queens are literally attached to one-another.

There is nothing authentic about Manhattan. There is no culture to Manhattan. When I was a little kid, I always thought Harlem was in The Bronx, because it had a real identity, a real culture, and so it was nothing like the rest of the borough, but nowadays with gentrification it's becoming just another overpriced neighborhood.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:27 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,444,121 times
Quote:

I don't know The Brooklyn Bridge, The Bronx Zoo, The Yankee Stadium etc. . . I'm sure if Manhattan didn't exist the attention would be someone else in the boroughs so yeah. And being that the shift is moving from Manhattan you'll see more and more people wanting to explode the other boroughs of New York on visits.

Quote:
What are you talking about, Bobby? I hope that you do your research. We get a lot in profits every year from tourism, because of Manhattan. Brooklyn hipsters are just yuppies who try to make it somewhere else since they can't afford the real thing (Manhattan). Tell me, which tourist do you know who has wanted to visit the Bronx, Queens, or Brooklyn? Only a small fraction of them would even consider visiting the other boroughs.
You may have a NY ID card but I have a Kings County (NYC) birth certificate. Clearly you're a transplant yourself or very new to the city. You'd know the people moving to Brooklyn aren't looking for bargains (if they were they WILL be disappointed) because prime areas of Brooklyn are just as much as some prime Manhattan areas (sometimes even more in BK). Do your research before attempting to downplay my borough. People are moving here because simply put they like what Brooklyn offers. Big city feel (very urban) but it still feels like a neighborhood-esque place.

Also as far as culture (don't want to get into a pissing match because Manhattan is awesome and it's still in our city) but why couldn't the NYC Orerpa secure money to stay open, meanwhile across the river a London based organization gave Brooklyn a $10 Million gift for the Theater for a New Audience?

This isn't Brooklyn 1946. . .

Old 01-23-2014, 01:55 AM

6,453 posts, read 6,995,149 times
It's definitely headed in that direction. I was in downtown Brooklyn just last week over by Atlantic and Flatbush and I'm always astonished at the addition of new businesses and condos (I moved there in the late 90s and moved out in 06').

Just 10 years ago...there really was nothing down there but a few bodegas and cheap jewelry and hair stores, now the place is beginning to look like the East Village (with prices to match), especially on Lafayette and Fulton.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It's definitely headed in that direction. I was in downtown Brooklyn just last week over by Atlantic and Flatbush and I'm always astonished at the addition of new businesses and condos (I moved there in the late 90s and moved out in 06').
You can thank the Nets/Bruce Ratner for that. It's all interconnected.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:24 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,893,450 times
Brooklyn would be the cultural epicenter.....if Manhattan didn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City