Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:06 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times

Advertisements

interesting there are an oil fan club here....on the LI sub forum, there is all this love for gas & hate for oil.

historically, gas has cost more than oil. I believe NG is hard to transport...but the recent shale fracking has changed that in the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
$1 MILLION per year for our co-op...last year #6 oil, this year #2 oil, next year MAYBE natural gas depending on Con-Ed. I read that natural gas prices are soaring in this cold snap.

If I may offer some suggestions. The building might consider looking into dual fuel capability rather than one or the other. Though natural gas prices are soaring the difference should be significant enough to save a decent amount of money compared to only using #2. Additionally ConED offers programs which allow additional savings when switching over to oil on days when their supply is at a peek. If space and reserve funds permit I'd look into natural sources of energy to offset some of these costs, there might be NYSERDA and/or ConED incentives available.

Some things your Coop can do in the meantime is to see if your heating pipes are insulated correctly, this can relieve stress placed on the boiler to reheat circulating water. Also the super can check to see if all the air vents in each apartment are functioning correctly. This is often overlooked in most buildings since they have a lifespan of about 5 years. Clogged or broken vents can cause the system to become less efficient by causing the boiler to work more then it should to push pressure throughout the pipes.

These are just some of the ways I've been able to help my Coops and keep them environmentally clean as well. I hope these suggestions can be of some use to you and your fellow Shareholders.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CertifiedNYPM View Post
If I may offer some suggestions. The building might consider looking into dual fuel capability rather than one or the other. Though natural gas prices are soaring the difference should be significant enough to save a decent amount of money compared to only using #2. Additionally ConED offers programs which allow additional savings when switching over to oil on days when their supply is at a peek. If space and reserve funds permit I'd look into natural sources of energy to offset some of these costs, there might be NYSERDA and/or ConED incentives available.

Some things your Coop can do in the meantime is to see if your heating pipes are insulated correctly, this can relieve stress placed on the boiler to reheat circulating water. Also the super can check to see if all the air vents in each apartment are functioning correctly. This is often overlooked in most buildings since they have a lifespan of about 5 years. Clogged or broken vents can cause the system to become less efficient by causing the boiler to work more then it should to push pressure throughout the pipes.

These are just some of the ways I've been able to help my Coops and keep them environmentally clean as well. I hope these suggestions can be of some use to you and your fellow Shareholders.
Just got last years exact oil bill: $1,277,000

We have just added dual capability, natural gas + #2 oil but we need to wait on Con-Ed to run a big enough pipe up the street, cooking gas pipeline is not adequate. I think it has to do something with a main gas line run in tandem with the Second Ave. Subway construction. I hope we don't have to wail 'til the subway is done but maybe so

They are replacing all the built in air valves little by little (closed 2 pipe system and finned convectors that must be removed, so a complex job...ours works fine.)

Yes, the building is overheated and when it's 40 degrees half of the windows are opened
...I guess the little old ladies in cardigans yell the loudest.
We usually have the heaters turned off except for abysmal cold like this. But then, since I am an engineer, I understand the arcane complexities of a VALVE.

People use expensive fuel oil for one reason and one reason only, they have no access to natural gas. When the only alternative for heating is expensive electricity, one chooses #2 oil (heavy #4 and #6 are being phased out because they pollute.)
Preferences have little to do with it, it's all cost/usable BTU.

Last edited by Kefir King; 01-28-2014 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City