Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 03:30 PM

78 posts, read 110,587 times

Advertisements

when you moved, what was it like? i was wondering how hard it was, what took you by surprise, how did you make your friends, how long did it take for it to become home? the thought of moving kinda scares me and was wondering how it was for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 03:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,880,121 times
Be sure to bring lots of money.

Travel and other sojourns aside, I have always lived here so that's the best advice I can give.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:49 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,982,962 times
It is as hard as H*ll--- it is different than any other place--- I have been here 15 years and it is not home--- so enough about me let's talk about you... what is your situation, ie single, married, kids, Do you have a job here ? little things like that. Are you going to rent or buy.... to give you a little guide line landlords use the 40 times rule a lot here. In other words
if you are going to look to rent you will need to make 40 times the monthly rent--- so for a 2000 a month apartment you should be making 80,000. So as you look at properties keep that in the back of your mind. My suggestion unless you are being chased out of town by the police where you are--- stay where you are....

Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,690,875 times
A few things newcomers to the city have told me that wierded them out:

People carrying groceries home w/o a car.
Getting lost (for a while) on the subways.
So few public restrooms.
So many panhandlers. Do we give to each one?
People prefer brunch over church on Sunday.
No malls.
No alleys behind the buildings.
$12 for cigarettes. You're kidding, right?
$14 for a movie. You are kidding, right?
Where's the kitchen and dining room in these apartments?
What do you mean he doesn't know how to drive?
I don't understand what the big thing is about Brooklyn.
Aren't you afraid to raise kids here?

Some of these are obviously Manhattan-centic, but most aren't. Newcomers either figure this stuff out or they move out-of-town, even if it's just to the 'burbs. Many of the ones who don't, find a circle of friends among college alumni, church, at work, relatives here (if they have any), doing philanthropic group, taking classes, or joining some adult sports group. It's not easy, and New York City isn't for everyone. But it can be done.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:31 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,256,094 times
I’ve lived in a lot of cities and it usually takes two years before a place feels like home. In New York it’s closer to five years.

The three main issues of living in New York are: housing costs, housing costs, and housing costs. Other things are expensive, but once you factor in transportation savings and know where to find deals, it’s not much more expensive than other major cities.

If you can afford to live in a cool neighborhood with great transportation and have money left over to enjoy yourself, no other city in the country (and possibly the world) can compare. If you’re spending 50+ percent of your income to live in a crappy situation with a long schlep to the train, it sucks.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:52 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,602,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaddict View Post
when you moved, what was it like?
It's weird, because when you sit in the train or bus, there's nothing happening, then all of a sudden things are moving outside but you're sitting still. It's like the world is going by but you're still in the seat. I don't know how to explain it, you just have to experience the moving for yourself

Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 AM

283 posts, read 367,876 times
Ha ha, Einstein.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:11 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,348,814 times
you soon realize it is not enough room anywhere you
go and everyone is giving you evil looks just for living.

you're like I don't even know this a-hole and he's
looking at me funny for no reason.

friggin crazy people full of misery.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 AM

295 posts, read 278,697 times
I stayed with my sister when I first moved to NYC, so I didn't have the stress of having to find a place. I was just going to take some music classes for a few months and go back to Colorado.

I moved in 1989, and was able to find a job/career that I actually liked, payed well, and had great benefits. I think that was the biggest shocker. I had a little related prior experience from a part time job in college and a liberal arts degree. Seems like finding decent work was pretty easy back then compared to now.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed my anonymity and being amongst all the people even though I'm not a particularly outgoing social person. I spent a lot of time the first couple years just walking around and exploring.

I found it hard to make any new friends outside of work (where I met my wife).

It's never felt like home even after so long but I dread moving out so I don't know what that means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City