Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:10 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,264,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
If you look at the neighborhood as a whole it's pretty diverse even for Brooklyn, as G-Dale says. It's just that the different groups have their little areas that don't overlap much.
That is my point. When people think of Williamsburg these days all they think of is Bedford and N 6th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,610,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
That is my point. When people think of Williamsburg these days all they think of is Bedford and N 6th.
Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you that Williamsburg is diverse in its way. I think Flatbush is more diverse in some ways, but it depends how you look at it.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:47 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,986,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you that Williamsburg is diverse in its way. I think Flatbush is more diverse in some ways, but it depends how you look at it.

But there is a major difference between being culturally diverse and the cultural epicenter of the city,state
or country. Let's not confuse the two

Old 01-30-2014, 12:59 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,365,191 times
yeah on tv and magazines i guess.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:23 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,239,500 times
Culture means different things to different people. You say culture to me and I associate it with words like...

Musicals
Ballet
Theatre
Museum
Libraries
Botanical Gardens
Opera
Orchestra

So forth. If I go by what I think is culture. Then Williamsburg is definitely not the center of Brooklyn culture. It'd be more like Downtown Brooklyn to Prospect Park area with BAM, Barclay's, Brooklyn Library by Central Plaza, Brooklyn Botanical Garden, Brooklyn Museum, etc.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:17 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,455,503 times
Quote:
The Italian population these days are limited to the eastern section of the Neighborhood as you head towards Queens (The annual).

And it is not specifically just about this yuppie group. Williamsburg has a greater variety of cultures living in a single neighborhood than anywhere else in Brooklyn. Brooklyn may be diverse as a whole, but its individual neighborhoods are not. At least that I can think of. It is not like the yuppies are the majority of Williamsburg yet, unless I am really that far behind in following how much the neighborhood has changed. But I still see many Hispanics, blacks and Jews around, not so much Italians but some are still around.
They do not live together. They just share a few zip codes. The yuppies are the ones buying the million dollar condos. They make the area trendy and relevant to the masses. I do not think they bring much to the neighborhood but drive up prices and bring Star Bucks, bars and over priced eateries to the community. The only group that are happy about these folks are businesses.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Culture means different things to different people. You say culture to me and I associate it with words like...

Musicals
Ballet
Theatre
Museum
Libraries
Botanical Gardens
Opera
Orchestra

So forth. If I go by what I think is culture. Then Williamsburg is definitely not the center of Brooklyn culture. It'd be more like Downtown Brooklyn to Prospect Park area with BAM, Barclay's, Brooklyn Library by Central Plaza, Brooklyn Botanical Garden, Brooklyn Museum, etc.
Initially, I was thinking about ethnic culture but your assessment is accurate. These areas define Brooklyn.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:31 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,264,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
They do not live together. They just share a few zip codes. The yuppies are the ones buying the million dollar condos. They make the area trendy and relevant to the masses. I do not think they bring much to the neighborhood but drive up prices and bring Star Bucks, bars and over priced eateries to the community. The only group that are happy about these folks are businesses.
There is no Starbucks in Williamsburg. And as overpriced as some find the eateries to be, for what you get is still cheaper than what you will pay in Manhattan or affluent suburbs. Those that the businesses employ may not be so unhappy about these folks.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:34 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,234,505 times
When one says diversity is diversity the number of different people living there or just passing thru and utilizing the amenities?? Either way, Williamsburg is not the most culturally diverse part of BK in my opinion.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
There is no Starbucks in Williamsburg. And as overpriced as some find the eateries to be, for what you get is still cheaper than what you will pay in Manhattan or affluent suburbs. Those that the businesses employ may not be so unhappy about these folks.
I stand corrected. I wonder why? According to this article Report: Williamsburg, Brooklyn May Soon Get First Starbucks « CBS New York, it is coming. The closest one is in Greenpoint. There is definitely a story there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City