Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times

Advertisements

Article is a few months old but interesting read - Why You Won't Survive In New York City | Elite Daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 11:05 AM

589 posts, read 1,220,255 times
You should rename it to "why transplants won't survive in NYC written by a transplant"

Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 AM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
I once considered moving to New York to teach in the public schools a few years ago. Starting salary for newcomers with just a bachelors degree was in the low '40s. The recruiter assured every applicant that no one starves among the school staff. In the end I decided not to do it but I suppose the recruiter was right in that my friends who now live and work in New York in public/non-profit sector jobs are doing okay. Rent is expensive, money is tight, but it still is an exciting and more importantly livable place for them. Now raising a family in NYC, well that's the question I have.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
This story is NOT New York specific. It really isn't.

These same rules are needed to make it anywhere in the country. Even the one about cramped, high-priced apartments are true in places like Boston or San Francisco. It's cute that the authour figures that being competitive, confident, inquisitive, careful, etc etc are so tied to success in New York, but she just as well could have called it "Why You Wont Survive In Albuquerque" The qualities you need for success don't change from city to city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: