Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:27 PM

216 posts, read 992,843 times

Advertisements

bedford park blvd is finished.

the decent pockets r north of mosholu, but bainbridge in general has been in a downward spiral the last decade. i know the area well, i hung out there alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 09:40 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times
We’ve been here several years and find it to be a nice place to live. Actually we've seen a lot of positive improvements in that time, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. It works for us.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:56 AM

3 posts, read 6,394 times
Default You never know...

Understand your concerns about the area etc, but wherever you are don't forget there are sometimes brilliant teachers about who can explain things or have more time for you or whatever as they are not at a big uni...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdiamonds View Post
Just wondering if anyone could tell me what the area where Lehman College in the Bronx is like? What is it like in general and is it a safe neighbourhood? I'd like to hear and comments you may have about the area please
Thanks

Old 12-29-2007, 10:08 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times
The rents aren't that cheap, compared to Manhattan it's a bargain but the prices are not rock bottom.

I live in the area and if you want to live in a nice building (elevator and laundry room with no welfare section 8 people) be prepared to pay:

850+ for a studio
950+ for a 1 bed
1250+ for a 2 bed
1400+ for a 3 bed if you can even find one and these are the minimum prices.

Check out this listing on Craigslist for a 1 bed on crummy Decatur ave for $1100!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/abo/522062801.html (broken link)

This is for a 2 bed on Briggs and 201st, $1395, the neighborhood is O.K at best.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/abo/520573352.html (broken link)

I've lived in this area for 90% of my life (I'm in my 30s) and I never thought I would live to see such astronomical rents for such crappy apts!

Since I am actually a resident of this area I am going to give you an honest perspective of what it's like to live around here. We live here because it's what we can afford. My husband and I have been priced out of most areas and the neighborhoods with housing in the same price range at this one are basically the same or worse so there is no point in moving.

This area is serviceable at best, it's not a place that you cringe in fear to live in but at the same time you will likely never leave your apt building look around and say "I am so glad to live in a wonderful place like this!"

If you have a car good for you because then you don't have to shop in the lousy local supermarkets with their overpriced food and lousy produce. Also having a car means that you don't have to rely on the slow weekend transportation when you want to go out.

This is a query of the available apts in the Bedford park area on Craigslist, it makes me shake my head to see these crazy rents.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search...=max&bedrooms=

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Actually, it appears to me that some of the nicer blocks in Bedford Park may serve you well. Those nicer blocks look better than those on the other side of the Mosholu Pkwy in Norwood

Some of the nicer blocks i have seen in BP are:

Bainbridge Ave between 199th and Mosholu Pkwy
Marion Ave between 199th and Mosh Pkwy
Decatur Ave between BP and Mosholu Pkwy
E 201 street between Briggs and Marion
E 202 and 203rd around Briggs

I don't know anything about the rents but I'd imagine they are relatively low

These blocks definitely are a diverse tight knit atmosphere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City