U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 21,924 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what the area where Lehman College in the Bronx is like? What is it like in general and is it a safe neighbourhood? I'd like to hear and comments you may have about the area please
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 05:17 AM

12,120 posts, read 28,406,808 times
During the day it should be fine. The immediate blocks around the campus are all educational institutions (DeWitt Clinton HS, Bronx HS of Science, Walton HS) and are mostly filled with students and buses. East of the campus you have the 4 train on Jerome Ave and the D train on the Concourse.

Just be careful around the south end of the reservoir though especially after hours. There's a lot of crime around Reservoir Avenue and the surrounding streets, which is not far from the parking lot for the college. Also, don't wander on the streets south of Bedford Park Blvd south around Jerome Ave--a lot of things happen over there.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:03 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,173,298 times
Yeah during the day its alright, but be somewhat on guard at night.

Pinkdiamonds, are you originally from NYC? If you aren't, then I would suggest looking elsewhere. Lehman really doesn't offer anything of educaitonal value above and beyond what could be found at any other college. It doesn't make sense to move around here just to go to Lehman College.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 AM

2 posts, read 21,924 times
no I'm not from NY, I was asking for someone else who is thinking about going there. Is there anything else you could tell me about the area? Whats the mix of ppl who live there? Is there much nearby (and if so, what please), how easy is it to get into the city (train wise it's like an hour, right?)

Old 12-03-2007, 05:28 AM

The area is Hispanic, black, Albanian, etc. The area is rather drab with not much else than the educational institutions, though you have the Botanical gardens further east

Where would they be communting from?

Old 12-03-2007, 12:24 PM

2,754 posts, read 3,562,486 times
I live on the other side of Bedford Park Blvd., but we go over to Montezumaís on Kingsbridge for good Mexican food and take in a show at the Lehman College Center for the Performing Arts once in a while. They are planning to redevelop the Kingsbridge Armory, but that wonít be for years. The architecture and houses are pretty attractive over there. Sedgewick Ave is especially nice. Subway access is the D and 4, so at least you can get to the east or west side of Manhattan without transferring. Rush hours the D runs express, I donít know about the 4, at other times, Iíd give myself about an hour to get to where Iím going. Can you walk to Van Cortlandt Park from there? Maybe, but I donít think thereís much to do at the park anyway (unless you like to golf).

Old 12-03-2007, 02:31 PM

53 posts, read 228,913 times
If you were to attend Lehman college, I'd suggest you live in Van Cortlandt Village, which is relatively close to Lehman college. It's a very, very safe neighborhood.

The diversity is here. You have the ethnic Jews and Irish who dominated the neighborhood for decades still surviving, as well as a large Hispanic population, and a recently growing yuppie/hipster/manhattanite/midwestern (I don't distinguish between any of them) population. The commute to Manhattan is pretty simple. The 1 and 4 trains are near by, and the BXM3, an express bus, runs through the area into Midtown, Manhattan.

The area where Lehman college is located is by no means bad, but I can't stress how undesirable it truly is. Just doesn't look too pretty, and the area gets very shady at night.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:04 PM

Yodel--the other side of bedford Pk around bainbridge has some nice art deco buildings. How is the area to live in? 201 street seems well taken care of

Old 12-03-2007, 04:16 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,173,298 times
Thats an alright area, but if you drive around a couple blocks south of that (in the 190s) it gets really bad real quick. Lots of crazy nonesenses goes on around there. Drive around that area at night and you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Yodel--the other side of bedford Pk around bainbridge has some nice art deco buildings. How is the area to live in? 201 street seems well taken care of

Old 12-03-2007, 04:21 PM

Mead-Did the Bedford-Bainbridge area have a large Irish census at one time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City