Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:49 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times

Advertisements

Have you checked out Crown Heights? Ghetto is a relative term. You are the only who can decide what you can tolerate. Some people see minorities and assume it is ghetto. Bed Stuy, Bushwick and Crown Heights are in demand because of the size of the properties and its proximity to public transportation. Didn't someone just recently post that a young woman on a cable show purchased a multifamily home in Bushwick for 1 million dollars? I think you should visit these places regularly in the morning, at night and on the weekend to get a feel for the place. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caball88 View Post
Well I am looking for a multi family under a million. Would prefer 3 but could settle for 2. Need the rental unit to help pay for mortgage.
I'm just a little bit more than a mile up Hancock. It gets both much cheaper and at the same time much safer as you go north into Queens.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Some people see minorities and assume it is ghetto.
The area that the OP is asking about is not assumed ghetto because it has minorities. It is ghetto because it has more crime and poverty than pretty much any other area in all of NYC excluding maybe just a couple of other areas (such as Brownsville). There are plenty of minority neighborhoods in NYC that do not have the same issues as this particular area that the OP is asking about. But if it is about being able to afford a brownstone in Brooklyn, than that is another topic.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
The area that the OP is asking about is not assumed ghetto because it has minorities. It is ghetto because it has more crime and poverty than pretty much any other area in all of NYC excluding maybe just a couple of other areas (such as Brownsville). There are plenty of minority neighborhoods in NYC that do not have the same issues as this particular area that the OP is asking about. But if it is about being able to afford a brownstone in Brooklyn, than that is another topic.

This is a forum for us to express our opinions. I do not need you to clarify what the OP is asking. You post based on your experiences and I will post based on mine.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
This is a forum for us to express our opinions. I do not need you to clarify what the OP is asking. You post based on your experiences and I will post based on mine.
If your experience is that the area the OP is asking about is just as nice as any other minority neighborhood in NYC, than your opinion sucks.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:27 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
I grew up in Bed Stuy. A couple of things to consider.......

1. Broadway is the dividing line between Bed Stuy and Bushwick, both of with have, and still are, changing more rapidly then people think! Trust me, I go back to the 70s!

2. How much are the properties at Hancock/Broadway (HB) v. Hancock/Patchen (HP)?

3. While H/B is right at the station: 1) Can one handle the noise of the J/Z up top? Also, there are a couple of abandoned lots at that spot! And for HP, (more inland), while the neighborhood block looks much better, with brownstones and the like, and while three blocks to the train won't hurt much, how much more expensive may the properties be at HP v. the those at HB?

Those are the factors I would also consider. Let me ask, what neighborhood in NY are you from, and where are you now?

Old 02-05-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
If your experience is that the area the OP is asking about is just as nice as any other minority neighborhood in NYC, than your opinion sucks.
I do not know what you are talking about. I did not say the place in question is just as nice as any other minority neighborhood. I said to thoroughly investigate to determine his/her comfort level. I think you are upset about something else.

You are entitled to your opinion. I could care less what you think but you will not dictate to me what I should or should not write. Deal with it.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I do not know what you are talking about. I did not say the place in question is just as nice as any other minority neighborhood. I said to thoroughly investigate to determine his/her comfort level. I think you are upset about something else.

You are entitled to your opinion. I could care less what you think but you will not dictate to me what I should or should not write. Deal with it.
I don't know what else it is that I'd be upset about. If it was me dropping $1m on a house in the ghetto, I'd like to be warned that the chances of being a victim of crime is elevated in certain locations. Telling someone its all relative isn't all that useful of advice when someone is risking their savings, credit, and even safety.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I don't know what else it is that I'd be upset about. If it was me dropping $1m on a house in the ghetto, I'd like to be warned that the chances of being a victim of crime is elevated in certain locations. Telling someone its all relative isn't all that useful of advice when someone is risking their savings, credit, and even safety.

You like to twist words. I said the word "ghetto" is relative. I also did not tell him to purchase the property. I told him to thoroughly investigate the area. Read my post if you have any additional questions.

Have you checked out Crown Heights? Ghetto is a relative term. You are the only who can decide what you can tolerate. Some people see minorities and assume it is ghetto. Bed Stuy, Bushwick and Crown Heights are in demand because of the size of the properties and its proximity to public transportation. Didn't someone just recently post that a young woman on a cable show purchased a multifamily home in Bushwick for 1 million dollars?

Photos: Zosia Mamet Buys $1 Million Home In Bushwick: Gothamist

I think you should visit these places regularly in the morning, at night and on the weekend to get a feel for the place. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I said the word "ghetto" is relative.
Sorry about keeping our back and forth going, but it isn't relative. It is ghetto over there. The complete other side of town from where the Girls actress bought a place. If someone doesn't think its ghetto over there, then they are way too ghetto themselves to trust their opinion on the neighborhood as to whether it is a good buying opportunity. Personally, I hope all those brownstones get bought up over time and gentrified. At least I wouldn't have the ghetto just a few blocks away anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City