Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 12:12 AM

19 posts, read 103,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina9 View Post
If u find one it will be in a dangerous neighborhood far from public transportation. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,137 times
Hi Nina,
Rent in the city that is below $1000 is very rare and it most likely will not be easy to find.
This can be accomplished if you make a lower income possible $30000 or less. The less you make and can prove you can apply for low income housing. but if you make a larger wage and truly want to live in the city at the price your saying, it is possible but you will have to rent a room with roommates. Craigslist and other sites like rent.com always have lower income items available. But of course if your willing to commute to the city you can find very fair prices. the farther from the city the lower the price. I would say for a price at $600 be prepared to do an hour and a half commute each way.
I hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:54 PM

364 posts, read 708,080 times
What is this, a troll thread?

Old 02-19-2015, 06:43 PM

515 posts, read 875,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
That's not true. My mom's a realtor. You can get a studio between Tottenville and Great Kills for between 6-750. Maybe even a one-bedroom is you're lucky. A buddy of mine was just paying under $700 for a studio in Stapleton - but who would want to live there, right?
Wu-tang is for the children?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:39 AM

237 posts, read 329,757 times
OP, NYC is one of the most expensive places in the world to live. You need to learn the territory you're asking about, and ask intelligent questions to the right people. How could you think someone on city-data would have any idea how to find such a place...and, if they did,why the **** would they tell YOU about it?

if I could find something in that price range, a reasonable distance from manhattan..I'd move back to NYC TODAY, and give zero ****s about the cold.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:41 AM

168 posts, read 349,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
OP, NYC is one of the most expensive places in the world to live. You need to learn the territory you're asking about, and ask intelligent questions to the right people. How could you think someone on city-data would have any idea how to find such a place...and, if they did,why the **** would they tell YOU about it?

if I could find something in that price range, a reasonable distance from manhattan..I'd move back to NYC TODAY, and give zero ****s about the cold.
The OP doesn't know anything about the area at all if she doesn't know that 1) she already lives in NYC, and 2) apartments in Manhattan don't go for $600-$750, and haven't since the 1980s.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:20 PM

202 posts, read 221,213 times
One approach that my son has used in the past is to put flyers up on buildings in neighborhoods he's interested in renting from, and advertising the price he can afford. He always gets offers from people. He's been living in nice areas of Manhattan for 20 years and has never paid more than $1300/month in rent. Right now he has a 2 room apartment where he's paying 900/month.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:11 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
That's not true. My mom's a realtor. You can get a studio between Tottenville and Great Kills for between 6-750. Maybe even a one-bedroom is you're lucky. A buddy of mine was just paying under $700 for a studio in Stapleton - but who would want to live there, right?
Nope. It would be a shack up with a family of 10 for that price. Staten Island has some lower rents, but that's an amount for a closet.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:13 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina9 View Post
Sorry Nina but you're looking at a share situation ~ if that at all. Scan some ads of real estate website to get a true picture of costs. Rent for $700 in NYC (even on Staten Island or the Bronx) is NOT happening for you. Anyone refuting this is not being realistic.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:06 AM

168 posts, read 349,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaferOne View Post
One approach that my son has used in the past is to put flyers up on buildings in neighborhoods he's interested in renting from, and advertising the price he can afford. He always gets offers from people. He's been living in nice areas of Manhattan for 20 years and has never paid more than $1300/month in rent. Right now he has a 2 room apartment where he's paying 900/month.
This is NYC. Try to imagine the "offers" a young girl would receive if she put up such flyers... and how safe she would be in pursuing or accepting them. Please don't advise already naive girls to do things like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City