Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:19 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,809,362 times

Advertisements

Who does the negotiation with them? Find out.
[Yep, I'm a retired teacher. My husband & I made less at full salary than most teachers in NYC or LI make in pensions. A lot less]
You voted in the people on the Board of Ed. who negotiate the salaries. The salaries determine the pension. Simple answer? Get rid of the negotiators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:39 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
yeah, everything is sold on amazon.com.
Enlighten us, as to the profession, where you make a good living solely on commission, as an independent contractor.
Quote:
you don't know a fuc-ing thing about me or what I do for a living
I know that you're a bitter +/or jealous little person. That much is obvious from your threads and posts.
Quote:
I have something called "savings", some of which is invested in things called annuities, which will continue to be intelligently managed and will allow me to enjoy a comfortable retirement, along with the firm's two pensions which my private company and I - not the taxpayer - have paid into.
I hope you do. Those commemorative plates aren't holding their value.
Quote:
Only an idiot thinks they know everything, especially about someone they've never even met.
You seem to think that you know a lot about teachers and public employees, although you've been neither. Makes you the idiot.
Quote:
My employer offers medical coverage
Really? For an independent contactor?
Quote:
about social security, I made no claim against it.
Right, because you're going to benefit from it, and Medicare. No doubt in amounts far greater than your contributions.
Quote:
This thread is about public employee unions - stick to the topic.
Actually, it looks like an article about the teachers union first blew your gasket. Did Mulgrew pee in your cornflakes?
Quote:
Is there a rule that says someone must change jobs every 5 years? I'm very successful at what I do, and I make a very good living.
Some here think there should be constant turnover among teachers. Why not in your sales job. You the only one who can sell widgets?
Quote:
"Reasonable" benefits and "decent" retirements? Like the cops making $260K/year, spiking their pensions with ridiculous overtime the last 2 years?
Wasn't your OP about teachers? NYPD police officer top base pay is $76,488.
Hold on there! Aren't you making a very good living? Have 2 pensions and annuities?
Quote:
Do you want riots, because you will get them if these SOB public union employees keep this BS up and start pushing, and they will get crushed, legally and physically. The public can only take so much.
Be careful, that's it's not your head on the first stick.

Last edited by bigjake54; 02-05-2014 at 09:50 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Who does the negotiation with them? Find out.
[Yep, I'm a retired teacher. My husband & I made less at full salary than most teachers in NYC or LI make in pensions. A lot less]
You voted in the people on the Board of Ed. who negotiate the salaries. The salaries determine the pension. Simple answer? Get rid of the negotiators.
Bloomberg changed the school system in NYC so that the whole system it is completely under control of the mayor,so basically it is the mayor who will negotiate with the union.We just elected our negotiator and he was overwhelmingly elected with over 70% of the vote.

The average retired teacher pension in NYC is currently around 35,00yr and dropping quite rapidly. I hope you didn't really work as a full time teacher for less than $ 35,000 or it's equivalent for whenever you were working.When did you retire? I hear that Buffalo's retirement benefits are very generous.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-05-2014 at 09:54 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 10:08 PM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Bloomberg changed the school system in NYC so that the whole system it is completely under control of the mayor,so basically it is the mayor who will negotiate with the union.We just elected our negotiator and he was overwhelmingly elected with over 70% of the vote.

The average retired teacher pension in NYC is currently around 35,00yr and dropping quite rapidly. I hope you didn't really work as a full time teacher for less than $ 35,000 or it's equivalent for whenever you were working.When did you retire? I hear that Buffalo's retirement benefits are very generous.
There you go again!

Seventy percent of a record low twenty-four percent (of registered voters) is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There you go again!

Seventy percent of a record low twenty-four percent (of registered voters) is hardly a ringing endorsement.
Of those who bothered to vote or who were even eligible (some people in NYC aren't citizens, and of those who are citizens they aren't necessarily NYC residents, the city has a big percentage of people who are in and out), de Blasio got the majority of the vote. So deal with it.

Bloomberg won election in 2009 when only 15% of New Yorkers voted, and he got 51% of the vote after spending 100 million. But all that was relevant, he was elected mayor and that was that.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:36 PM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Of those who bothered to vote or who were even eligible (some people in NYC aren't citizens, and of those who are citizens they aren't necessarily NYC residents, the city has a big percentage of people who are in and out), de Blasio got the majority of the vote. So deal with it.

Bloomberg won election in 2009 when only 15% of New Yorkers voted, and he got 51% of the vote after spending 100 million. But all that was relevant, he was elected mayor and that was that.

Listen bub, the numbers came directly from NYC Board of Elections. Less than 24% of *Registered* voters cast ballots in last November's mayoral polls. We're not speaking of some abstract number comprising whomever and whatever you have mentioned, but persons actually listed on NYC voting records. You know those log books where your name is looked up before you cast a vote. The same records that are used to send various voting and or political information via mail during the year.

This is not rocket science; even a fourth grader could do the sums.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:21 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Listen bub, the numbers came directly from NYC Board of Elections. Less than 24% of *Registered* voters cast ballots in last November's mayoral polls. We're not speaking of some abstract number comprising whomever and whatever you have mentioned, but persons actually listed on NYC voting records. You know those log books where your name is looked up before you cast a vote. The same records that are used to send various voting and or political information via mail during the year.

This is not rocket science; even a fourth grader could do the sums.
So what if the numbers came from the Board of Elections? Where did I even dispute them to begin with?

I said the bottom line the majority of people who bothered to vote (not counting those who couldn't vote) still elected de Blasio. In the US people are not required to exercise their rights to vote and mayoral elections often have low turn out.

But all that is irrelevant to the fact that de Blasio WON among the percentage of people who cared to vote at all.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 AM

929 posts, read 1,658,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But all that is irrelevant to the fact that de Blasio WON among the percentage of people who cared to vote at all.
Except for Italian/Jewish/Russian neighborhoods, where they hate the guy. Then again, he eats pizza with a knife and fork, so it's well deserved.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:09 AM

1,347 posts, read 953,838 times
The only 2 statements I will respond to, which are enough. You're immature and clueless, and I will join the others in ignoring your infantile comments moving forward:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
You seem to think that you know a lot about teachers and public employees, although you've been neither. Makes you the idiot.
As others have said about you, YOU are clearly the IDIOT.

My father was a teacher and principal, my mother a teacher, my sister currently a teacher, both my wife and I went to public schools, and all of my kids are currently in public schools - ALL in the NYC public school system. You can really ST** right now, I know more about "the system" than a fool like you ever could.

Quote:
Wasn't your OP about teachers? NYPD police officer top base pay is $76,488.
PA Sgt. nearly triples his $100K-plus salary with about 40 OT hours a week | New York Post

"“He’s on track to earn more than $280,000 in 2012,” one PA official glumly noted." The last thing I say to you before I add you to my ignore list: CLOSE YOUR MOUTH when you do not know what the f--k you are talking about. Idiot.
===================================

As for the adults here, back to the topic. It is obvious that if our new mayor has any intention of surviving this term, let alone a new one, he will tell the 150 public unions to basically drop dead, and the retro-active pay is a non-starter.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
I befriended one of those teachers, who came from SoCal to NYC with bright eyes. Two years in a ghetto school made her switch to a yuppie school. One year there, and she gave up teaching and moved back to Cali.

If you can't even spell tenure, perhaps you shouldn't be opining on it.
I love it when people like yourself automatically equate spelling and grammatical errors with level of intelligence and education as their best come back because you have nothing of substance to contribute as rebuttal to my opinion. Compared to say bluedog's response which is informative and has lot of substance.

As for yourself, how many languages do you speak and write with fluency? Is English your first language?

I guess it doesn't cross your mind that English is not the first language of many posters on the forum? Let me blow your tiny boxed in mind because this is NYC forum and I'll let you in a secret that many folks in NYC were actually immigrants! Like myself who didn't speak a word of English until 12?13? years old. HOLY CRAP.

Last edited by babo111; 02-06-2014 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City