Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/05/ny...h-city.html?hp

This is just insane. If there was a way to remove from this planet randi weingarten, mike mulgrew and all islamic terrorists, I'd push that button in a nano-second.

RETROACTIVE 4% raises? For a system that regularly finishes at the bottom of the industrialized world's rankings? It is insane that these fools want raises PERIOD, but retroactively is beyond the pale. This vermin thinks that with "their man" in the office, they are going back to the gravy train - but someone, somewhere, in the NYC government has got to step in and say "no."

At this point, there needs to be a state law passed to eliminate public employee unions, they are going to destroy this country if they are not eradicated like the cancer that they are.
Vermin? Calm down bro.

My POV on this? Do all teachers deserve a raise? No. Do we need to make sure to pay the best ones well and keep them? Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
I love it when people like yourself automatically equate spelling and grammatical errors with level of intelligence and education as their best come back because you have nothing of substance to contribute as rebuttal to my opinion. Compared to say bluedog's response which is informative and has lot of substance.

As for yourself, how many languages do you speak and write with fluency? Is English your first language?

I guess it doesn't cross your mind that English is not the first language of many posters on the forum? Let me blow your tiny boxed in mind because this is NYC forum and I'll let you in a secret that many folks in NYC were actually immigrants! Like myself who didn't speak a word of English until 12?13? years old. HOLY CRAP.
Bigjake is one big self proclaimed idiot who thinks he is a wasp descended from original habitants of NYC. He is like another Jcoltrain. Its best to ignore him!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:25 AM

1,347 posts, read 953,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Vermin? Calm down bro.

My POV on this? Do all teachers deserve a raise? No. Do we need to make sure to pay the best ones well and keep them? Yes.
I was referring primarily to the public union leadership across NYC, and any members/workers who believe they are entitled to the retro-active raises. Many of whom I've spoken with agree the demand is ludicrous, and money would be far better spent on improving so many other areas, whether it be reducing bureaucracy for teachers, better equipment/training for cops, etc.

Most of the civil service workers you talk to despise the union leadership, which operates purely to increase their power and salaries - not improve the work or quality of life for the general populace, which is why FDR and so many others realized that unionizing a public workforce would be insanely bad judgement.

I am not singling out teachers, my comments are directed at ALL public employee unions across the entire city.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Bigjake is one big self proclaimed idiot who thinks he is a wasp descended from original habitants of NYC. He is like another Jcoltrain. Its best to ignore him!
I put that poster on ignore, one of the least intelligent, most immature posters here. I've noticed others don't respond to it, so I guess we are not alone in our beliefs.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,360 times
Quote:
My father was a teacher and principal, my mother a teacher, my sister currently a teacher, both my wife and I went to public schools, and all of my kids are currently in public schools - ALL in the NYC public school system.
They must all regret having a whiny puke like you in the family.
If your parents were employed by the UFT that you are trashing, as their whelp. you did too. If your sister works in NYC, she knows the difficult working conditions. You are also the example of the clown parent your children's teacher loathe.
Quote:
The Port Authority is a completely separate agency from NYC, and its police department is separate from the NYPD. If he works overtime, he should be paid. If the PA does not want to pay him, don't assign him overtime, and hire another sergeant to do the extra work.
Quote:
if our new mayor has any intention of surviving this term, let alone a new one, he will tell the 150 public unions to basically drop dead, and the retro-active pay is a non-starter.
DeBlasio is in for 4 years, whether you like it or not. He may not offer retro, but raises will come. So, run off & find some other windmill to tilt at, Sancho. Try jumping johnny pumps; just watch your nuts, if you have any.
Quote:
I was referring primarily to the public union leadership across NYC, and any members/workers who believe they are entitled to the retro-active raises. Many of whom I've spoken with agree the demand is ludicrous, and money would be far better spent on improving so many other areas, whether it be reducing bureaucracy for teachers, better equipment/training for cops, etc.
Wow! A non-bombastic post from Maddie! Except, I doubt her assertions, that she's spoken with many city workers, and that they share her opinions. I doubt that she even talks with her parents or sister about it. They are probably sick of her opinions. Unfortunately, her children have no ignore option.
Quote:
I put that poster on ignore
If you put this forum on ignore, it would be a better place.

Last edited by bigjake54; 02-06-2014 at 09:19 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 09:07 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,360 times
Quote:
I love it when people like yourself automatically equate spelling and grammatical errors with level of intelligence and education
Au contraire, I simply observed that you should know how to spell tenure, before opining on it.
Quote:
English is not the first language of many posters on the forum
It wasn't mine, either. So, change '11' to 'on' in your screen name.
Quote:
many folks in NYC were actually immigrants! Like myself who didn't speak a word of English until 12?13? years old.
Then, I'll forgive you, your grammatical errors. The content, however, ist ganz Scheißl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Bigjake thinks he is a wasp descended from original habitants of NYC.
Whatever gave you that idea?

Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 AM

Fortunately, most mature, rational adults recognize that retro-active raises are not going to happen. Even my father, a Tier 1 pension recipient who began his career with the Bd of Ed in the early 50s, agrees that it is ridiculous to even consider it.

Ultimately, NYers are fortunate that Cuomo is running for higher office, and will scuttle any attempts to try and raise taxes to cover these raises, meaning that the only way union leader turds like mulgrew can get them through is with equivalent savings in work rules.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Except for Italian/Jewish/Russian neighborhoods, where they hate the guy. Then again, he eats pizza with a knife and fork, so it's well deserved.
Italians/Russians/Jewish neighborhoods are not the majority of the city............

Old 02-06-2014, 07:30 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,071,903 times
The DOE shouldn't have waited 5 years to renegotiate a contract. They def. have back pay owed to them.
Dunno if they'll get it... but frankly they should have started a strike years ago. No fair negotiations is as equal a violation of the Taylor ammend. as striking.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:53 PM

5,095 posts, read 4,956,979 times
NYC teachers may have heavier workload than suburban schools because average class size in NYC is ~26 kids/class vs <20 kids/class in the suburb. Based on my observation, most teachers did minimal to challenge gifted students but focus more on those struggling students to make them score closer to the passing grade. That is why there are so many after school and weekend programs in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City