Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:15 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,607,129 times

Advertisements

You can never have two rent-stabilized apartments because you can't have two primary residences, by definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,990,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
You can never have two rent-stabilized apartments because you can't have two primary residences, by definition.
If each of the couple is the only one on the lease and they primarily spent time in the separate apts. then in theory it could be possible.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,973,977 times
Quote:
Agree,but do 2 married people always have to have the same primary residence ? I mean are there laws about that ?

I am wondering because I happen to know a married couple who both had rent stabilized apartments before getting married and have kept them both even though they are really living in one.One of them is claiming their pre marital primary residence as their primary residence still,even though not really "living there" anymore.
He uses it as an office.

I also know more than one married couple who own two residences(city co-ops and country houses) where each person claims one of the residences as the primary residence in order to get 2 star property tax exemptions.Husband takes star exemption on apartment,wife registered to vote at and taking star exemption on country house .

Old 02-07-2014, 11:30 AM

105,720 posts, read 107,700,939 times
Quote:
yes you can if they are adjacent and you claim you need more space.

the question is whether the landlord will let you.

first off you would have to qualify income wise, but more important I would not want to have 2 apartments at risk of no rent in case of illness , job loss or divorce

Old 02-07-2014, 11:32 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,973,977 times
Quote:
Agree,but do 2 married people always have to have the same primary residence ? I mean are there laws about that.

I am wondering because I happen to know a married couple who both had rent stabilized apartments before getting married and have kept them both even though they are really living in one.One of them is claiming their pre marital primary residence as their primary residence even though not really "living there" anymore.
He uses it as an office.

I also know more than one married couple who own two residences(city co-ops and country houses) where each person claims one of the residences as the primary residence in order to get 2 star property tax exemptions.Husband takes star exemption on apartment,wife registered to vote at and taking star exemption on country house .

It's amazing how many people out there who have no qualms about doing this type of thing and then complain about all the public assistance recipients "gaming the system." What a joke.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:03 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,983,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Agree,but do 2 married people always have to have the same primary residence ? I mean are there laws about that ?

I am wondering because I happen to know a married couple who both had rent stabilized apartments before getting married and have kept them both even though they are really living in one.One of them is claiming their pre marital primary residence as their primary residence still,even though not really "living there" anymore.
He uses it as an office.

A fine example of a heartless scam--- give us his name and we will turn them in.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:07 PM

6 posts, read 8,058 times
Any brokers have an actual answer?
Can a married/seperated couple have 2 rent stabilized apartments.

Im not interested in people's opinions about scamming the system.

This is something i was wondering, so im seeking information so i can know all my options for findind an apartment.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 PM

^Interesting...I hadn't thought of that. But if the landlord figured out that the married couple was, in reality, mostly living together in one of the apartments they could probably lose it, right?

Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 PM

105,720 posts, read 107,700,939 times
It says on the rent stabilized guideline site

"Primary Residence FAQ section.

Finally, it is not unlawful per se to rent two stabilized apartments. Many people rent more than one apartment because of space requirements. However, in these situations the apartments are usually adjacent (or at least in the same building) and thus are considered to be a single "primary residence." It is not uncommon for married couples to maintain two separate rent regulated residences."

Old 02-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It says on the rent stabilized guideline site

"Primary Residence FAQ section.

Finally, it is not unlawful per se to rent two stabilized apartments. Many people rent more than one apartment because of space requirements. However, in these situations the apartments are usually adjacent (or at least in the same building) and thus are considered to be a single "primary residence." It is not uncommon for married couples to maintain two separate rent regulated residences."
Question--if it's considered a single primary residence, are the rents added together for purposes of high-rent deregulation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: