Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 05:51 PM

250 posts, read 269,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotieK View Post
Hello.

So, first of all let me exactly explain what I'm looking for: I'm not american, so if I make some language mistake you know why.
The point is: I'm a writer, and I wanna write a novel set in one of your cities, but the time in the novel is the beginning of 90's.
Well, I've made my researches, and I've found one of the most dangerous borough in NY WAS the Bronx, now only the South Bronx where the crime is still on a high level (based on my researches).

So, I'm asking you if you can recommend me a dangerous neighborhood in the South Bronx, or maybe the same in another part of the U.S.A.
It doesn't have to be NY or part of the South Bronx, if you have any advice I would really like.

I'm starting this project just some weeks ago and I really care about it, so I wanna take my time and choose everything in the right way.
And one of my worst problem is where should I set the story. I need a very dangerous place, where the crime and the illegality is so high.

Thank you so much in advance (and I'm sorry sorry if I made some language mistake but your language isn't mine).
So you want a place in NY where corruption, crime, and illegality is high to the max?

Try the State Assembly.

On a serious note, try Camden NJ. I know people wanna talk about the South Bronx, East NY, or Brownsville as being the most dangerous part of NY but the truth of the matter is that those neighborhoods aren't what they use to be. That doesn't mean they are safe, or even relatively safe but the crime in those neighborhoods isn't as high as it was 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 04:56 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Again there are places far more dangerous than these areas.
NYT: Carjackings, Violent Crime Skyrocket in Newark for 2013

Wow newark is such a nice place!

Old 02-10-2014, 05:00 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Here's more relaxx:

N.J. homicides soared to seven-year high in 2013 after surges in Newark, Trenton | NJ.com

Quote:
More than a quarter of those killings took place in Newark, where a spate of Christmas season slayings pushed the homicide total to 111, including one in the final hours of the year. The tally is the highest since 1990. In Trenton, the number of homicides soared to 37, the most in the state capital’s recorded history.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Thought I heard somewhere on the news yesterday that the Feds are looking into taking over Newarks police department.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Yep, Brownsville, EYN, Bed Stuy, even all of the Bronx, have nothing on certain parts of Jersey.

You want dangerous, that's where you go.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:28 AM

21 posts, read 30,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KotieK View Post
Hello.

So, first of all let me exactly explain what I'm looking for: I'm not american, so if I make some language mistake you know why.
The point is: I'm a writer, and I wanna write a novel set in one of your cities, but the time in the novel is the beginning of 90's.
Well, I've made my researches, and I've found one of the most dangerous borough in NY WAS the Bronx, now only the South Bronx where the crime is still on a high level (based on my researches).

So, I'm asking you if you can recommend me a dangerous neighborhood in the South Bronx, or maybe the same in another part of the U.S.A.
It doesn't have to be NY or part of the South Bronx, if you have any advice I would really like.

I'm starting this project just some weeks ago and I really care about it, so I wanna take my time and choose everything in the right way.
And one of my worst problem is where should I set the story. I need a very dangerous place, where the crime and the illegality is so high.

Thank you so much in advance (and I'm sorry sorry if I made some language mistake but your language isn't mine).
A lot of people might disagree with this but I'm going to say it anyway: you can't write about New York City, ANY part of New York City, if you've never lived here.

Hell, I've been in NYC my whole life and probably couldn't write a really believable story set in the Bronx. Contrary to what people think, it is NOT like every other major city.

You're a writer, have you ever heard that Tennessee Williams quote "America has only 3 cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland"? There's a lot of truth in that. I would say either stick to what you know or pick a different city.

And if you want "dangerous", check St. Louis or Detroit.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 4,884 times
i can confirm on stl. nothing like getting a knife pulled on you on wash ave, while getting a hot dog at 1:30 am on a saturday night.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,452 times
South Bronx is not as near as dangerous as any ghetto in any USA city...except maybe in writer's fiction Anyway, if I have to choose the most unsafe NYC area in present time, it would be Brownsville, in my opinion.

Maybe you should try with Detroit.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:46 AM

5,101 posts, read 4,959,205 times
For those of you who claim that detroit is a dangerous city, is that based on your firs hand experience, or just "heard-so"? i have been in and out of the detroit airport 20+ times, and enjoyed my time there each single time and did not feel unsafe ever...please go check it out if you do not agree.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:12 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
i have been in and out of the detroit airport
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City