Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 08:33 AM

10 posts, read 35,797 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at an apartment that's available in Ridgewood a few blocks away from the Linden Hill Cemetery. Woodward and Greene to give the exact cross-streets. I've heard conflicting things about the neighborhood. Well, conflicting things about both Ridgewood and Bushwick, since Woodward Ave. is right around the border between the two.

So is this place safe? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 08:47 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Woodward ave is safe. As a general rule of thumb, most of Ridgewood is safe and most of Bushwick is not safe. Onderdonk ave is safe as well. It is once you get to Seneca ave and towards Bushwick the area tends to turn south.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:40 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person500 View Post
I'm looking at an apartment that's available in Ridgewood a few blocks away from the Linden Hill Cemetery. Woodward and Greene to give the exact cross-streets. I've heard conflicting things about the neighborhood. Well, conflicting things about both Ridgewood and Bushwick, since Woodward Ave. is right around the border between the two.

So is this place safe? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
Yea for the most part Woodward ave. is safe. The only area i'd say is slightly sketchy is more along the industrial border passing Starr into Troutman, Flushing ave etc. Recently there was a double homicide in the area but that seemed to be drug-related... Anyone who deals with those kind of people are bound to put themselves in danger regardless of the area but that specific little section of Woodward which is only about 3 blocks in the entire mile and a half to 2 mile stretch are the only places i'd say you'd need to exercise a little more caution than the rest...

That specific block on greene though is very quiet... You won't have any problems... I don't live too far from there. Btw, if you don't mind me asking, where are you coming from?

Old 06-07-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
That specific block on greene though is very quiet... You won't have any problems... I don't live too far from there. Btw, if you don't mind me asking, where are you coming from?
Double homicide, huh? That doesn't sound good.

I'm in Long Island City now. My main concern is that, if I'm living by myself, I don't want to be returning home late at night and have to walk alone through a bad area. And I've always heard that Bushwick is one of the places to avoid, which is why I was curious if a neighborhood so close to the border has the same reputation.

I guess this ties into it a little, but how are the subway stations around there? The M and the L? I've personally never had a problem on the subway, but I've (again) heard unpleasant stories about certain out-of-the-way stations late at night.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person500 View Post
Double homicide, huh? That doesn't sound good.

I'm in Long Island City now. My main concern is that, if I'm living by myself, I don't want to be returning home late at night and have to walk alone through a bad area. And I've always heard that Bushwick is one of the places to avoid, which is why I was curious if a neighborhood so close to the border has the same reputation.

I guess this ties into it a little, but how are the subway stations around there? The M and the L? I've personally never had a problem on the subway, but I've (again) heard unpleasant stories about certain out-of-the-way stations late at night.
You'd be amazed how much of a difference a block or two can make. The train stations in Ridgewood are less sketchy than Queens Plaza in LIC.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You'd be amazed how much of a difference a block or two can make. The train stations in Ridgewood are less sketchy than Queens Plaza in LIC.
That's nice to hear. I don't think Queens Plaza is very sketchy. It always seems safe late at night, whether walking through there or taking the train.

I'll probably go check out the Woodward apartment, since it sounds like I was overestimating how dangerous the area is.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:00 AM

On the L you would take the Dekalb stop and on the M the Seneca stop. The Seneca stop can be sketchy so if taking the M late at night it would be safer to go one stop further to the Forest station. Anon would know better, but I don't think the walk from the Dekalb station to Woodward and Greene would be all that bad.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:07 AM

Yeah, one thing I just realized is that I'd have to walk into Bushwick to take the L, or I'd have to at least transfer to the L from the M in Bushwick. Walking there would take me past Seneca Ave. by a few blocks.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:12 PM

The part of Bushwick you'd be walking through would be the safest part of Bushwick. IMO, Cypress and St Nicholas are nicer than Seneca.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:16 PM

Also, I think that Palmetto, Gates and Linden would be worse than say Greene, Harman and Himrod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City