Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 AM

17 posts, read 171,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
My best friend went to Aveda, got a job immediately with one of their salons once she graduated. Has worked many fashion weeks and now works at another one of their salons in DC.
Really?? Wow thats cool So far everyone is saying I should go to Aveda so I'm really thinking about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 12:19 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,648 times
I can't say anything for Arrojo. I went through Aveda and found the training to be okay. You really don't learn much at any of the schools, just what's needed to understand their brand and pass your state board exam. It provides a very general foundation. The real learning comes from apprenticing at a top salon. Where you'll make little to nothing for two years. You have to understand that you are responsible for your own education and know the obstacles involved. I was able to advance to junior stylist faster than what is considered typical, that does happen sometimes but isn't the norm. The only reason I made that happen is because I literally worked my ass off both in school and while training. It was not a matter of talent or luck.

The Aveda name did open doors for me, and I did eventually start making good money. But it was a long process and the education was not cheap. Unless you have a sugar daddy or rich parents you'll have to work 70 hours+ between the salon and another job to supplement it. The more prestigious the salon, the less they pay assistants. Why? Because they have no shortage of ambitious people like yourself so they can.

If you want to do high-level editorial work you have to starve for a few years no matter what school you choose. One thing I can tell you is that Aveda is owned by Estée Lauder and they own like 15 other major brands. So if you feel trapped at some point or limited in the Aveda culture you have other options. The possibilities are even better if you also have a degree. This is how I think because I don't want to be behind a chair the rest of my life. I thank God every day I went to college so I have an exit strategy. Which is not to say it can't be rewarding. You just really have to look out for yourself. This is an extremely cutthroat industry with little protection or oversight. If you don't look out for yourself no one else will.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 02-11-2014 at 12:48 AM..

Old 02-11-2014, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,551 times
Default I went to Arrojo and loved it

Hey, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in...

I graduated from Arrojo in 2010 and I loved it. I moved to NYC from out of state specifically to go to Arrojo because it was the best fit for me. I toured a few schools in my home state and all the top schools in New York (Arrojo, Aveda, Paul Mitchell, Carsten, etc) and I really liked that Arrojo had smaller class sizes (when I attended it was 16 per class, I think it's still the same). I also really felt like Arrojo gave me way more information BEFORE I visited about the tuition and courses. The other schools wouldn't tell me anything until I actually went in for a tour and by the time I was there I felt a little disappointed in what I saw. Arrojo just seemed more serious. And they really made me feel like they wanted me to be there through the whole application process. We only wore a uniform when we were on the salon floor and could wear whatever we wanted in class. I have to agree with other posters that you learn the most when you're actually out on the floor after you graduate, but I learned a lot more in school than I expected. We did all the typical state board stuff but also learned alot about razor hair cutting, business skills, retailing, etc. We did a lot of really cool editorial projects and creative cut and color. We took field trips to the Met Museum and the MoMa, and we went on salon visits. I had a job with a really cool salon before I even graduated because they helped me figure out where I wanted to go. I passed my state board with no problem. And I felt like I was more prepared when I was actually assisting in the salon, not only skill-wise but just with general discipline and work ethic that I got from my educators, like knowing how to find models, etc. I think you should tour all the schools if you haven't already and ask them what makes their school stand out. That should help you in your decision. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2014, 08:52 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,771,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I can't say anything for Arrojo. I went through Aveda and found the training to be okay. You really don't learn much at any of the schools, just what's needed to understand their brand and pass your state board exam. It provides a very general foundation. The real learning comes from apprenticing at a top salon. Where you'll make little to nothing for two years. You have to understand that you are responsible for your own education and know the obstacles involved. I was able to advance to junior stylist faster than what is considered typical, that does happen sometimes but isn't the norm. The only reason I made that happen is because I literally worked my ass off both in school and while training. It was not a matter of talent or luck.

The Aveda name did open doors for me, and I did eventually start making good money. But it was a long process and the education was not cheap. Unless you have a sugar daddy or rich parents you'll have to work 70 hours+ between the salon and another job to supplement it. The more prestigious the salon, the less they pay assistants. Why? Because they have no shortage of ambitious people like yourself so they can.

If you want to do high-level editorial work you have to starve for a few years no matter what school you choose. One thing I can tell you is that Aveda is owned by Estée Lauder and they own like 15 other major brands. So if you feel trapped at some point or limited in the Aveda culture you have other options. The possibilities are even better if you also have a degree. This is how I think because I don't want to be behind a chair the rest of my life. I thank God every day I went to college so I have an exit strategy. Which is not to say it can't be rewarding. You just really have to look out for yourself. This is an extremely cutthroat industry with little protection or oversight. If you don't look out for yourself no one else will.
I worked in the salon/spa industry here in nyc from 1998-2013 and all of what was said in the quoted text by eastboundchick is true.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,983 times
Smile ARROJO Cosmetology- Best in NYC

Hi Everyone,

I just want to chime in as a recent graduate of ARROJO Cosmetology School...

I, too, was trying to decide between Aveda and ARROJO after doing a Google search for the "best cosmetology school in NYC". I have to say, ARROJO impressed me from the minute I walked in the door for my tour. It has a sleek, modern, & fashion-forward environment, which was important to me because I knew I'd learn all the latest trends/styles...not just NY state board techniques.

I really feel like I received the very best education in cosmetology. As a career-changer, I really wanted to feel like I was making the best decision and I am positive I did. The ARROJO brand is very well respected in this industry, and I got the very first job I applied to! I am planning on attending a lot of ARROJO's Advanced Academy courses in the future.

I think ARROJO is the way to go! I hope this was helpful. Good luck!!!

-M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: