Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Puerto Rico is suffering from a brain drain.

and so is Guyana.

I even heard there are more Guyanese in the US than in Guyana now.

Yes, it can be hard to tell Ricans and Dominicans apart just by looking. Many can very easily blend in with black or white Americans who are non Hispanic.

There are Puerto Ricans coming from Puerto Rico to New York. (but overall the NYC Puerto Rican population has declined).

Yes, not in large numbers but they still are.
you are right about Guyana, me being from brooklyn and growing up with guyanese people, you would think the nation had over a million people like haiti( my parents country), jamaica, and trinidad. I was shocked to see that their country has population numbers the size of islands that look like dots on a map.

But from my experience i notice the black guyanese people tend to like talking about guyana, but the indians i speak to always brag about how much they hate the country and would never go back.

Now one of my clients who is from Trinidad told me their land situation is also a issue, most of the nation is unhabbitated and she also told me below sea level. But like i said she isnt guyanese so i need to clarify with someone who is actually from the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 02:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
you are right about Guyana, me being from brooklyn and growing up with guyanese people, you would think the nation had over a million people like haiti( my parents country), jamaica, and trinidad. I was shocked to see that their country has population numbers the size of islands that look like dots on a map.

But from my experience i notice the black guyanese people tend to like talking about guyana, but the indians i speak to always brag about how much they hate the country and would never go back.

Now one of my clients who is from Trinidad told me their land situation is also a issue, most of the nation is unhabbitated and she also told me below sea level. But like i said she isnt guyanese so i need to clarify with someone who is actually from the country.
That place has been always under developed since the Dutch arrived. It was so bushy not even the Spanish or Portuguese wanted to colonize the area but they all knew the area was rich of gold and diamonds which is deep within the amazon of the Guianas. British, Dutch and French traded hands over an area that was nothing more than rain forest and bush. It was so bad that plenty of people died due to its environment. hell even slavery was not in huge numbers in Guyana. British did a poor job of developing Guyana, the only benefit of Guyana at the time of the British Empire was higher wages which enticed people to move there like Barbadians and some Indians.

What happened with Guyana was that its politicians embraced Marxism and the ideals of the Cuban Revolution. Britain and America bickered over Guyana's independence fearing it will become another Cuba which it did to some extent. Blacks and Indians chased out the British and ethnic Portuguese out of the country. When they were done with the whites, they turned on each other and the Indians lost and the blacks oppressed the Indians. The Natives lived deep in the rain forest and were not bothered. Like Cuba, Guyana improved literacy rates of the country, and was also self sufficient did not depend on outside trade except for weaponry. However the damage has been done thanks to politicians for not allowing a free market system and people started to leave during the 70s, and 80s.

With the return of Democracy and Capitalism in the 90s the plight for many Guyanese did not improve but got only worse. People complain about income inequality in NYC and other parts of America, inequality is worse in Guyana many people have to survive on 2 U.S dollars a day. HIV/Aids epidemic ravaged Guyana and still does to this day. Even if you get sick in Guyana, either you go to neighboring Brazil for treatment, fly to Communist Cuba via friendship program, fly to nearby Trinidad or fly to America or Canada. Like NYC if you have money in Guyana you are good, if you don't you are screwed and saving a years salary for a visa to come to America only makes it more worse.

Actually I don't think the Guyana should exist anymore and should be abandoned. Since its people are not culturally Latin or South American except for the native populace. The Blacks and Indians should move to Anglophone Caribbean countries and or Cuba. Guyana western half should be returned to Venezuela while the Eastern half can be divided up by Brazil and Suriname. Eastern half will give Brazil direct access to the North Atlantic shipping markets. But then again that is a different topic for a different thread. But yes Georgetown is below sealevel. In matter of fact what does Georgetown, NYC and Amsterdam all have in common? Sea level issues. Thank the Dutch for that. And yes Guyana is mainly uninhabited. 90% of the country lives along the coast. The only people in the rain forest are either drug traffickers, gold miners, criminals, Natives, Brazilians, Vacaeiros aka ranchers and eco tourist. Sounds a lot like the American Wild West! But again this topic is for a different thread.

As for Puerto Rico decline, I don't blame Puerto Rico for that, but I do blame mainland politics, 2008 recession and the rise of income inequality for Puerto Rico decline. Puerto Rico needs some internal reforming, but also a path to state hood might help improve the situation on the island, or may make it worse, who knows?

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-09-2014 at 03:10 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 07:20 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
So much for independence.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
america is like Oz they all come here to get help and then began to criticize the wizard for his many moral shortcomings and for not doing much more for them.
psssst.... Puerto Ricans are Americans.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:34 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,104 times
A large problem is PR is the amount of people on disability or SSI. There is a large drug problem also. Very beautiful Island but you definitely can see the problems.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:40 AM

579 posts, read 945,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Just saw this really depressing article in The NY Times about the rapidly worsening situation in Puerto Rico.It says that waves of people,especially middle class,are literally abandoning their lives and property and coming to the States. I wasn't even aware things had gotten so bad. Are a lot of them coming here to NYC,like in the 50's, or they skipping NYC and going to Fla,Texas,etc ?

Wondering how NY'ers would react if hundreds of thousands of destitute Puerto Ricans stated flooding in.They are US citizens so they are free to move in if they want.What's going on there sounds really bad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/us...exodus.html?hp

I was wondering the same thing. Of those that are coming to NY, are they coming to the Bronx? The article didn't specify and most of the posters here are not saying.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:02 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Of those that are coming to NY, are they coming to the Bronx? The article didn't specify and most of the posters here are not saying.
I would assume that most who do come to NYC would head for The Bx since that's where they are more likely to have family and friends. Question is how many ? Can't say that I would necessarily notice because there are already so many spanish speaking people here. Maybe next year in the Fall, when the new school year begins, I will be able to see if there is an increase in newly arrived Puerto Rican kids in school.For the last 5 years or so,almost all of newly arrived kids showing up have been Asian,not hispanic, so a change would be noticeable.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:33 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I would assume that most who do come to NYC would head for The Bx since that's where they are more likely to have family and friends. Question is how many ? Can't say that I would necessarily notice because there are already so many spanish speaking people here. Maybe next year in the Fall, when the new school year begins, I will be able to see if there is an increase in newly arrived Puerto Rican kids in school.For the last 5 years or so,almost all of newly arrived kids showing up have been Asian,not hispanic, so a change would be noticeable.

The thing is this, is that NYC is not as affordable as it once was, even in low income areas of the city people struggle to make do. Here in Mott Haven their are not a lot of Puerto Ricans as their was were. I remember seeing a pdf that stats the PR population of Mott Haven dropped 60% and the Mexican and Dominican populations grew in large proportions. And believe the only two Spanish accesnts I here in Mott Haven is Dominican get to the point fast Spanish and Puebla Southern Mexico dialect. Its safe for me to assume that New Puerto Rican arrivals will not move to the South Bronx especially professional educated types. I really don't think cities such as NYC, Boston and Philly will be a next stop mecca for Puerto Ricans heading to the mainland anymore due to cost of living. The Puerto Ricans from the island that I came across were professional types and not poor types looking to get welfare and emergency shelter. The Northeast is way too expensive for hard working people.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,104 times
Posters are correct with Orlando. In Aguadilla, PR. on the West coast of the Island there is large military base. Anyhow a lot of these serviceman who made a career of the service when they retire, relocate to the States. The generally relocate to Florida and primarily Orlando.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:47 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Posters are correct with Orlando. In Aguadilla, PR. on the West coast of the Island there is large military base. Anyhow a lot of these serviceman who made a career of the service when they retire, relocate to the States. The generally relocate to Florida and primarily Orlando.
Lol,the former PR super in my building just retired…….to Orlando !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City